Amps, how many is too many?

hogrider16

Gretschie
Oct 18, 2017
charles town wv
I think you can only have too many of something if you buy it on impulse. If you bought every one of your amps for a specific reason, then you're good. If you just bought one to buy one, you may want to think about that. Every guitar, amp and pedal I buy these days needs to have a specific purpose and provide something that none of the equipment I currently have provides. It hasn't cut down on my GAS, but it sure has cut down on my purchases.

J Bird

Synchromatic
Dec 2, 2016
Enumclaw
Well, let's see. You need:

One amp that can keep up with a loud drummer.

Another for an at home stereo rig.

Another for a wet/dry/wet rig.

One more...scratch that, two more. So a guest has a nice stereo rig to plug into.

Just because I have about as many amps as I need, it doesn't mean I'm even close to being done buying amps.

Fortunately, or not, almost all the amps I really, really want are waay over my price range.

DasherF

Gretschie
Aug 28, 2020
25 miles SE of Rogers, Mn.
I have 6 full tube amps, 1 tube power amp, two hybrids SS power sections 12ax7 pre, and one SS, and I have no idea how many sims and such in tue computer and or audio interface. So, why do I always want another? Hell I only have four electric guitars and only paid for three of them one was a prize from a draw! I can’t even justify that many by saying hey I need a different amp for that guitar, nooo, maybe I could say hey I need a guitar for that amp but more guitars just doesn’t sound good to me but more amps and cabs, that sounds great to me! Don’t get me started in speakers! I constantly roll speakers into my cart just to delete them when the rare moments of sanity take me.
B...I'm reading that your focus is on amps a bit more than guitars (4 IS respectable, however). I have only 3 amps, with a few minis.
My focus happens to be in the guitar realm...kits and carcasses added to my brand name axes total 12(-ish).

Johnnypops

Electromatic
Jan 7, 2020
Antipodes
Sounds pretty normal to me. I've got 11 on hand at the moment. 5 tube and 5 modelling or practice amps. 4 x peavey, 2 x fender, 2 x vox, 1 x laney, 1 x marshall and 1 x drive practice amp

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
I have 6 full tube amps, 1 tube power amp, two hybrids SS power sections 12ax7 pre, and one SS, and I have no idea how many sims and such in tue computer and or audio interface. So, why do I always want another? Hell I only have four electric guitars and only paid for three of them one was a prize from a draw! I can’t even justify that many by saying hey I need a different amp for that guitar, nooo, maybe I could say hey I need a guitar for that amp but more guitars just doesn’t sound good to me but more amps and cabs, that sounds great to me! Don’t get me started in speakers! I constantly roll speakers into my cart just to delete them when the rare moments of sanity take me.

B,

I have one amp for the guitars, and a small amp for PA.

For me, that's always been enough.

Further, if I was to buy a new amp, for any reason, what I have now would definitely go.

Anything can become collectable, and God knows, I've had more than my fair share of collections, for me, amps are not in the ''collectable realm''

Just me...

BIB

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I love amps.
That said I think that you got too many (tube)amps when amps that you do not play regularily suddenly need a cap-job because it dried-out from non-usage.

cycler

Electromatic
Feb 11, 2022
3 or 4. A tweed, blackface, and a marshall or whatever british flavor you prefer. Possibly a brownface type amp. Suhr Hombre comes to mind. Personally I have a tweed deluxe (Clark), a blackface (Allen Accomlice Jr.) and a Roland Blues Cube (stage-65 watts max), which I play the most, as the built-in attenuator is a necessity in my current living situation (adult restricted age), townhouse style.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Its not a space or money issue for me but I really only want one amp. I just bought a new pedal in part to replace the same pedal except now I don't have to turn it on everything I power my board. I often only have time to play 15-30 minutes a day. I don't want to spend that time fussing with amps and cords.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I'd dump a couple more, if it weren't for the tax problem with verb and fleabay...
I imagine the easiest way to sell amps is face-to-face through CL or FB marketplace, if you can find a place to plug them in for demos.
And if you live in a big city with lots of players.

Don't have to screw around with shipping. Don't have to report anything to anyone (cash only).
Don't have to worry about people wanting a discount or return. I'm reminded of my uncle when asked if what he was selling had a warranty, "Sure, 10 seconds or 10 feet!"
As I've posted earlier, I don't even look at the used amps online because I don't want to pay for shipping and there are lots of amps listed for sale here.

A few days ago I was looking at a Fender DeVille 4x10 on CL for $375 and I am tempted. Tolex a little beat up but not bad, says it works and sounds great but I just don't need an amp like that.

GenghisBomb

Electromatic
Sep 26, 2021
Canada
I think we all find one area of "excess" in the hobby. Some people have a lot of guitars, some a lot of pedals, some a lot of amps. I feel like I "hit the jackpot" with my amp selection. I started with a Marshall tube combo, and then got a Positive Grid Spark for practice/noodling, and scored a Traynor YGl-15 (which has Vox AC10 and Fender Blues Jr settings) in a trade, so I feel like I have my bases covered.

I think amps are more limiting, since they require more effort to set up if you can't have your whole roster set up at once, and obviously, tend to take up a lot of space.

My philosophy on this is the same as for guitars and gear in general:

1) Don't put yourself under financial strain to buy an amp/gear. Try to not put it on a credit card unless you can pay it off quickly.

2) Make sure the others in your living arrangements are ok with your gear accumulation. They have to live with it too.

3) Make sure the "playing/using" is the hobby, and not the *buying*.

Tonecatpicks

Electromatic
Apr 9, 2019
Riverside, Illinois
Like a chef needs spices, artists need tools, musicians need instruments. Regarding amps and guitars, I've set a reasonable limit for my self of one... for every year I've been on the planet.

Styleruk

Electromatic
Apr 2, 2011
Uk
And here was I thinking I need to get rid of one of my 2! I have had a gorgeous 65' fender twin forever that I used to gig 100%, then I bought a fender 65'princeton for a rock and roll band and now I use that exclusivly! I keep thinking, do I sell my twin? But then it is handy for big outdoor gigs for bike shows where you need some guts, but then the princeton is more than man enough for that if I mic it up....hmmmm Then there is the weight, the twin is a struggle and I'm not getting younger. But the tremelo on the twin is sooo much better than the princeton! I always take that to a studio....and so it goes on.

oh, and there's the epiphone valve practice amp that I leave round me mates house for practice. I'll never part that, it's awesome.

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
The problem is not acquiring another amp, the problem is acquiring another possession can never fulfill the desire to acquire another possession. Think back to the day you bought your last amp. How happy/excited/elated/giddy, etc. were you? Do you feel the same way now about that amp as you did the day you bought it? The exact same scenario will play out with the next amp you buy. You’ll walk into your amp room, see all your amps and think, “Gee, if only I had that amp I saw online. I’d reach audio nirvana.” Learn to be content with what you have. If you must buy another amp first sell one you already have. This will force you to rethink things.