Amps, how many is too many?

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I have 6 full tube amps, 1 tube power amp, two hybrids SS power sections 12ax7 pre, and one SS, and I have no idea how many sims and such in tue computer and or audio interface. So, why do I always want another? Hell I only have four electric guitars and only paid for three of them one was a prize from a draw! I can’t even justify that many by saying hey I need a different amp for that guitar, nooo, maybe I could say hey I need a guitar for that amp but more guitars just doesn’t sound good to me but more amps and cabs, that sounds great to me! Don’t get me started in speakers! I constantly roll speakers into my cart just to delete them when the rare moments of sanity take me.

Roy Clark

Synchromatic
Jun 16, 2017
Bat cave.
I have 6 full tube amps, 1 tube power amp, two hybrids SS power sections 12ax7 pre, and one SS, and I have no idea how many sims and such in tue computer and or audio interface. So, why do I always want another? Hell I only have four electric guitars and only paid for three of them one was a prize from a draw! I can’t even justify that many by saying hey I need a different amp for that guitar, nooo, maybe I could say hey I need a guitar for that amp but more guitars just doesn’t sound good to me but more amps and cabs, that sounds great to me! Don’t get me started in speakers! I constantly roll speakers into my cart just to delete them when the rare moments of sanity take me.
We do not need that negativity in our life. More is better for all of us. And also on YouTube the Tone King. Did you see how many he has?

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
We do not need that negativity in our life. More is better for all of us. And also on YouTube the Tone King. Did you see how many he has?
I do believe he is the one who had the drawing for the one I won! I was all excited to get online for Tue show when he drew for it but I was working. I got to a hotel went to sleep then woke up to check my emails and there it was! Only thing I ever really won! Except don food at raffles as a kid.

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
It's just like guitars - the number you have, plus one.

I have six, but a couple of them are small practice amps, one's a small bass amp, another one's for acoustics. That leaves two suitable for "bar band" type rock'n'roll gigs, and I've had them both for a very long time. I'm happy with them, don't see much reason to mess with something that works.

Kinda would like a Magnatone though ... those are pretty nice! 🤔

tifftunes

Electromatic
Jan 12, 2019
Newbury Park, CA
I HAD a huge number of amps (too embarrassed to say how many), which are my weakness!

I'm now down to 13 amps... Only one isn't a tube amp...

I'd dump a couple more, if it weren't for the tax problem with verb and fleabay...

MUCH easier to buy than sell, so, there's that...

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Three tube amp combos, one solid state head, one solid state 18W pedal amp. My wife seems to think that's enough...we haven't discussed what number would qualify as too many. :)

ruger9

Country Gent
Nov 1, 2008
NJ
For me it's a space issue. I don't have my own music room. If I did, I would still limit myself to 3-4 amps at home.

I have 7. 8 if you count the Microcube.
3 in the house, 3 in the garage (going to be sold), and 1 at the rehearsal space.

For me, 3 inside the house is even more than I want. 1 might be not quite enough, because I play many different styles, and some are very clean and some are quite dirty... and I prefer amp dirt to pedal dirt.

I have a Hot Cat for amp dirt and higher gain stuff (I am a child of hard rock), a PRRI for gorgeous cleans, a Supro for the tweed-y stuff (soon to be replaced by a Swart). I have a 5W octal amp for old-school jazzy tones, a Roland Blues Cube Artist at the rehearsal space (it's very light, and no worries about tubes because other bands use that space too), and 2 Fender Supersonics (at least one of which is being sold).

The problem is, different amps do different things better. The Hot Cat clean is nice, but it's no PRRI. The PRRI dirt sucks, while the Hot Cat rocks. And the mid-dy amp is the Supro, for the in-between/NMV/semi-dirty stuff (and the Gretsch), which neither the other 2 do as well. (Again, soon to be replaced by the Swart AST.)

Last edited:

mbkri

Country Gent
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
Im going the other way.
I just put my Peavey Classic 50 2x12 and my Yamaha THR10ii up for sale on Craigslist.
(Didnt list them here because i dont want to ship).
Im going to have just the Vox AC15 and an amp sim for recording.

Latest posts