Amps and weight

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Bertotti, Jan 7, 2021.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    From my experience I need at least 30 watts to get a loud and heavy cruchtone with some headroom.
    For my ears it is a "dynamics-thing". A low-wattage amp usually feels a bit squasched and compressed to my ear in a live-situation.

pmac11 likes this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I haven't noticed that on my amps really. The range/headroom of course is affected, but the ability for to play between clean and crunchy and more is still there it just happens sooner, a smaller pond to tweak in. I don't notice a loss of dynamics or anything like that. The hardest thing I had to get used to was with my big amps I could leave my guitar volume virtually alone and hit the tones i want from the amp but on the little amps the guitar knobs have a serious impact on how the amps respond and how they affect the tone and type/ quality of break up.

One thing I had a hard time distinguishing was the difference between loose medium and tight on the back of the head. I didn't start to understand it until I was listening to some chugging then the setting started to make some difference, naturally this setting was only on the bigger amp. I wonder how something like that would affect the little amps or if it is even possible to try and control that on a smaller amp. Just thinking out loud to understand your perception better.

Waxhead and loudnlousy like this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    That`s really strange. I experienced it the other way round.
    Maybe I simply tried the wrong small amps?
    Maybe I listen to other things/details in my personal tone?
    See what I mean is that you can make a lot of amps with lighter iron inside sound good at bedroom-levels. When they are played in a loud band-context they lose that openness whereas my big amps seem to open up at these levels and make a sound that I like to hear and feel in my hands. All my one-channel affairs are highly sensitive for my guitar volume-pot. I am constantly fiddeling around with it . Like the trottle on a motorbike. I really enjoy that.

Bertotti likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yea I think we are on the same page, my 5 watts are made for bedroom and they can get louder and sound good but hey large amps certainly react differently with volume to my ear. Good or bad I can't say. I like the small amps but I like cracking the tx 120watt monster as well. I would venture a guess is you prefer the larger amps and your uses tend to lead you that way. I couldn't get what I wanted at louder volumes with the little amps but now have the Fryette ps100 so I can hit the sweet spots but still blast it through a 4x12 or direct to a powered pa if I so desire. And we are back to why big iron was something that lead me originally to large amps.

loudnlousy likes this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok a few of the one's I listed are 30w or more and the rest are 25w.
    I never found the 25 watters I listed compressed sounding but I know there's still a lot of players who demand big wattage live.

If you're one of them - enjoy heavy - that's your trade-off for the tone you want :D

pmac11 and loudnlousy like this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I guess that`s the price of it, friend. Although I really hate it.
    I recently befriended myselve with the 150 watts of my Mesa Stiletto Trident. Mesa is providing brilliant stuff to niche customers like me.
    There is an extra benefit when playing these one with a sevenstring or deeper-tuned guitar (which I`m coming to like lately): Super-tight lows which do not muddle with your bass player.
    I understand that many modern guitarists love that ultra-headroom. Think Djent tones. You cannot do this with a 5E3.
    You are are a brilliant recording guitarist and I really enjoy your stuff.
    But in my world I rarely do that today. The last time I recorded an album is 20 yers ago.
    I had the priviledge to play a lot of loud and rowdy rock-gigs throughout the last two decades, though.

If I would do what you are doing I would choose the same cool setup that you use. (Or I would go even further and use my Spark or a good modeler for recording.)
    In my situation the too-heavy-amp is more and more less of a problem but the cabs. My Mesa 2x12 weights a lot more than the head. And it has only one handle.:eek:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Henry, pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Thanks for the kind words and I've got friends just like you.
    They still swear by their 100 watt Marshalls and old Marks.
    I understand it and agree when cranked live they do sound more open and huge.

I decided to compromise my tone just a touch and go to low watt/light weight.
    Most of our decisions are a trade-off and the key is knowing exactly what those trade-offs are.

What I find difficult to understand is people with very heavy low watt amps.
    They've done the tone trade-off but got no weight improvement.

loudnlousy likes this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    That`s idiotic.
    Tone and feel is the way to go. I always went that way. No compromise. And I was willing to pay the price. Even in times I could not really afford it.
    Everything besides is second grade.
    I would love to lose some weight on my equipment.

But I found a solution: My solution is a well built and super sports-affine son that carries my weighty equipment. God bless him.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Henry, Waxhead and new6659 like this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    You cannot discuss religious things, friend.
    What works for you is completely o.k. with me.
    Most of my beloved guitarist friends are on the low-wattage side. And it is totally o.k. because they play roots-rock, blues, jazz. It works for them .
    I love it.
    But I am doing something different than them. I play heavy Rock. And I need different stuff. Easy as that.:)

Waxhead, Bertotti and pmac11 like this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I don’t see anything religious about big iron but if you choose to worship it go for it! Big iron to mean weighty large powerful transformers.

I like both small and big. I’ll never give up my TX head and if I could only have one it is a top contender to keep. With an attenuators I can do everything with it I can do with the small amps without all the early compression.

Waxhead, loudnlousy and pmac11 like this.
  11. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    It don't think he means worship, so much as it's an article of faith.

Waxhead and Bertotti like this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Ah gotcha! Sorry!

pmac11 likes this.
  13. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    No worries man!

14. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Ever mic'ed a low wattage amp and run it through a PA, work around the compression problem that way? Just curious is all.

loudnlousy likes this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Yes, I tried that. I even found a way to get some feedback by using a Vibesware Resonator. But it felt a bit like a prosthesis.
    I use my amp as my monitor on stage. It is miked up for the p.a. but not for monitor use via the p.a..
    I hate it when it is mixed up with the vocals or other instruments. I play rather loud to get my acoustic feedback. So in-ear-monitoring was never an option for me.
    I have a Mesa 2x12 wedge pointing away from the crowd directly towards me. I can move it around a bit so the "sound beam" will not bother my fellow musicians.
    That`s a time-proven recipe that works for me brilliantly. If only the weight-problem wasn`t there.

Waxhead, pmac11 and Bertotti like this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well as an aside. I saw a coupe of @loudnlousy ’s mesas on reverb almost got excited to chase one but sadly one had so much corrosion I wouldn’t think about it and the other was over 2000$. Yikes!

loudnlousy likes this.
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    You'd probably like this new Badlander.
    Another example of MB innovation.

They don't make re-issues as such, every new version they make of an old series amp is a significant improvement on the previous ones :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

loudnlousy and Bertotti like this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well I loved it but it just makes me wonder how the mark five 90 and it would compare.

19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Don't strain yourself, Dude. :)

That is a seriously cool idea.

The biggest sound I ever got was a 5 watt Winfield Typhoon through a PA.

Rmccamey, thunder58 and pmac11 like this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    They're very different actually.

Mark V 90 has either 6L6 tubes or can be converted to EL84.
    And Mark V is more versatile with nine different switchable amp voices.
    It has 3 channels with 3 voices in each channel.

Mark V collects all the best channels/voices from Marks 1-4 and puts them in 1 amp.
    Mark gain tones are a different flavour from the Rectifiers too.
    I prefer the Mark V myself.
    Here's a good rundown of how Mark V 90 works

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Bertotti and pmac11 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.