Amp recommendations?

Pops

Gretschie
May 23, 2022
SC Midlands
Let's say I want to get a classic, clean, "Chet" sound from a Dynasonic-equipped Gretsch. What's a good pairing in a tube amp? Nothing un-obtanium, please. :cool:

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
I use this, a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. The 5 watt setting is perfect for playing at home. 25 watts gets loud. There are two clean channels, the higher gain channel being somewhat thicker and warmer. I don’t use the high gain brain bleed channels. An Express 5:25 isn’t cheap on the used market but not in the “unobtainium” category either. I like mine with an echo and an equalizer on top.
4249D29E-09EE-4B7B-BC7B-730DF8EDD769.jpeg

BohemianLikeMe

Synchromatic
Apr 18, 2020
Prague, CZ
Unless you could find/afford a Standel, I’d go with a Fender as well.
Wattage may vary (Princeton Reverb if you only play at home or small gigs, Deluxe Reverb for bigger stages, Pro Reverb/Vibrolux Reverb if you need power) depending on your needs.
Yeah, how loud are you going to go? Are you gigging with it? A 40 watt Pro Reverb isn't actually much louder than a 22 watt Deluxe Reverb. Just a bit more headroom and sound. And a bit heavier, physically speaking.

Last edited:

Pops

Gretschie
May 23, 2022
SC Midlands
Yeah, how loud are you going to go? Are you gigging with it? A 40 watt Pro Reverb isn't actually much louder than a 22 watt Deluxe Reverb. Just a bit more headroom and sound.

I don't think I need a lot of power. (That's covered with a 100W Peavey ValveKing!) Something with variable wattage would be good. I missed out on a Bugera 5V a couple months ago.

LesB3

Gretschie
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
I fired up the Peavey today. My ears are hurting.

Since you like Peavey already... what about a used Classic? These can be had for around $300 used still and US-made too (the new ones are made overseas). I've got a 50w 4x10 (with another 4x10 extension) but they made them in smaller 20 watt combos too. They have the Bassman look to them, but are (sonically) kind of between a Bassman and a Blackface (to me). There was another line of amps that were similar (Delta Blues?) but I've never played one of them...

20220419_111206.jpg

It seems to get along with my Dyna-equipped guitars better than my modern Fenders, but take this with a grain of salt... I'm struggling to find much to love about these pickups.

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
Since you like Peavey already... what about a used Classic? These can be had for around $300 used still and US-made too (the new ones are made overseas). I've got a 50w 4x10 (with another 4x10 extension) but they made them in smaller 20 watt combos too. They have the Bassman look to them, but are (sonically) kind of between a Bassman and a Blackface (to me). There was another line of amps that were similar (Delta Blues?) but I've never played one of them...

View attachment 187340

It seems to get along with my Dyna-equipped guitars better than my modern Fenders, but take this with a grain of salt... I'm struggling to find much to love about these pickups.
Veery nice guitar mate. Which model is that?

Pops

Gretschie
May 23, 2022
SC Midlands

View attachment 187340

Thanks for the input.

Nice Streamliner there. Another classic blonde!

LesB3

Gretschie
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
Veery nice guitar mate. Which model is that?

Thanks for the input.

Nice Streamliner there. Another classic blonde!

It's actually labeled as a 6187, which should be a two-tone Clipper from 1958.

It's serial number places it in one of the "undocumented" blocks in the back of Ed's 1950's Gretsch book, between a batch of Streamliners and 6186 (sunburst) Clippers. And at first glance it certainly looks like a mishmash of both models.

Oddities would be the black pickguard (has tape so vintage at least) and the hump inlays. I can't say for sure whether it has been refinished. I've seen one other blonde 6187 from this Era, but it had the (Clipper) correct dot inlays, and was missing its pickguard.

There's one spot of wear on the top that could be a sanding mark, who knows. If someone did take the time to sand down and refinish what would basically be Gretsch's cheapest guitar at the time, they did a fairly good job. The hump inlays aren't perfect and I'm not sure whether they shrunk, or were done by the same person who (potentially) refinished the guitar.

In the end, I bought it because I love quirky Gretsches, and I'm a sucker for Blondes!

Pops

Gretschie
May 23, 2022
SC Midlands
It's actually labeled as a 6187, which should be a two-tone Clipper from 1958.

It's serial number places it in one of the "undocumented" blocks in the back of Ed's 1950's Gretsch book, between a batch of Streamliners and 6186 (sunburst) Clippers. And at first glance it certainly looks like a mishmash of both models.

Oddities would be the black pickguard (has tape so vintage at least) and the hump inlays. I can't say for sure whether it has been refinished. I've seen one other blonde 6187 from this Era, but it had the (Clipper) correct dot inlays, and was missing its pickguard.

There's one spot of wear on the top that could be a sanding mark, who knows. If someone did take the time to sand down and refinish what would basically be Gretsch's cheapest guitar at the time, they did a fairly good job. The hump inlays aren't perfect and I'm not sure whether they shrunk, or were done by the same person who (potentially) refinished the guitar.

In the end, I bought it because I love quirky Gretsches, and I'm a sucker for Blondes!
Clipper, eh? Good to know. I’m a Gretsch newbie, so I plead ignorance.;)

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Let's say I want to get a classic, clean, "Chet" sound from a Dynasonic-equipped Gretsch. What's a good pairing in a tube amp? Nothing un-obtanium, please. :cool:

Hey Pops,

I only know VOX, all I've ever owned.

Current amp is a VOX MV50 AC, 50 full watts, at 2 ohms, run through a vintage VOX 2/12 cabinet with Celestion speakers.

Rickenbackers, Hofner's, EVH, and two Gretsch Jets with Dynas, one Gretsch Jet with a Power Tron, One Gretsch Jet with a Classic Plus.

The tiny amp is very obtainable, approx. $250.

And...wait for it...it's a tube amp!

All I need!

Best,

BIB
DSCF1472.JPG DSCF1482.JPG