Amp kits...tell us about your builds?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by blueruins, Jun 6, 2021.

1. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

One day, I might build an amp, but for now, I'm enjoying my 5f1 12" hi-fi/organ chop clone and my Ceriatone 5e3 clone.

The 5e3 has a bigger output transformer than the schematic calls for. What it lacks in early breakup, it gains in headroom, making it a damn good pedal platform. It still has the touch sensitivity and overall tone of a traditional 5e3, just not so growly at lower volumes.

pmac11 and blueruins like this.
  2. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    That's beautiful wiring.

3. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    With my soldering skills, I'd fear electrocution. Last time I soldered something I said wife, get something rubber and be ready to knock me off.

blueruins and new6659 like this.
  4. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

Here's a 35 watt Lion VII kit from Kendrick Amplifiers. Housed it in a solid black walnut V-front cabinet. Pair of 12" Tone Tubbies provide the sound.

amp3.JPG vfront2.JPG vfront7.jpg vfront8.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021 at 11:06 AM
    Rmccamey, new6659, TubeLife and 4 others like this.
  5. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

Here's a neat little 5C3 Deluxe that I built. Mahogany cabinet with 12" Tone Tubby. With octal pre-amp tubes and grid leak bias, this amp gets very dirty very quickly. Wonderful ZZ Top Mescalero tones between 3 and 4 on the volume dial.

amp1.JPG

new6659, TubeLife, loudnlousy and 2 others like this.
  6. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

Here's a Champ on my test bench that is nearly done and ready for a cabinet. 10" Tone Tubby for this one I think.

champ1.JPG

7. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

And a '55 Bandmaster (5E7) that is simply waiting for a cabinet. I tested this one through my Bassman's speaker cab and it sounds very nice indeed.

bandmaster1.JPG

new6659, TubeLife, loudnlousy and 2 others like this.
  8. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    The Tone Tubbys are nice, eh?

9. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

I like them. I have used other speakers in builds; I used Kendrick Blackframes in a '57 Twin build that I did. But I find myself coming back to the Tone Tubbies because, to my ear, they sound just like I think they are supposed to.

blueruins likes this.
  10. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Haven't built any kits. After resurrecting a Katrina JCM900, modding a Valve Jr and building a couple of experimental 12AX7 pres, I started thinking about it but never got around to it. I had a chassis started at one point with Hammond transformers and tube sockets laid out with heaters wired, but abandoned it in a move.

-m

blueruins and pmac11 like this.
  11. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yeah I've only got two ToneTubby speakers...a 4040 in a 112 cab, and GMC Alnico in my Mesa Boogie F50. In my opinion the latter is a big improvement on the Mesa-branded Celestion that came with it.

12. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Really impressive! Out of curiosity, of all the Fender circuits to clone, what was the motivation to build the Bandmaster?

13. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

26 watts is a good size for me. With my style of playing, anything over 35 watts is wasted. And, while I really enjoy low watt amps to get that sweet, sweet breakup at low listening levels, sometimes I want a little clean headroom. It is my intention, once the cabinet is finished, to load the cab with a 12" and a 10" speaker.

If I could only have two amplifiers it would be something between 5 and 10 watts and another at about 25 watts. I don't use pedals at all, but I do like what the TTE does to the signal so I use that a lot (except for when I am using my 5C3 Deluxe which, of course, would be a bad idea).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.