Amp GAS here also

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by MrWookiee, Apr 29, 2021.

1. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I'd love to get a Nocturne amp but they are far out of reach. On paper, and based on Utube videos I've been thinking about a Supro Delta King (10 or 12) or a Blackstar Studio 10 Special Edition. Outside of budget, the trouble is that I'm so new to guitar, and not in search of a particular sound, that I don't know what I want. My playing is coming along but isn't anywhere near where I'd be comfortable demoing an amp at GC, even if I knew how to properly demo one. Oh, and the nearest GC is about 80 miles away, in Lancaster CA (though I could drive 3hrs to Hollyweird and have more options). If it matters, I'd be playing my G2627T with BroadTrons, partscaster Tele, and Ibanez. Not looking at a particular genre but probably nothing with huge distortion. Also won't be gigging any time soon (as a guitarist) if ever. What sayest the august denizens of G-T?

2. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
  3. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I think I've talked myself up to $650

4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I bought my first guitar about 16 months ago. I'm really enjoying learning and this whole world is much more rich and complicated that I realized. I am having a blast!
    I've collected quite a few guitars to learn the sounds and feel and to broaden my experience.

But amps are a whole 'nother ball game. I can justify owning many guitars but I don't really want to line my wall with amps and many seem to be almost a "one trick pony" needing pedals to bring out different voices. I love watching the amp review videos on YT and I usually want to buy those that sound good.

But I honestly don't know what voice I want yet! I'm still playing with all different kinds and styles of music and having fun trying all of them!
    So, I don't have the ear yet to really appreciate the "good stuff" (expensive amps), don't want to spend any money on pedals yet and want an amp with many voices I can try out?
    I got lucky, found some good reviews and bought a Fender Mustang LT-25 as my first amp last year. It's incredible, sounds fantastic with over 100 models built in and I bet I could tweak it to sound very close (to my ears) to just about any amp out there. And it is only $150 retail, amazing. 25 watts and 8" speaker, bedroom size.
    I like it so much that a few months ago I bought the $500 Mustang GTX100 and like it even more. Giggable with 100 watts and 12" speaker, sounds fantastic with 200 presets and everything I can imagine built in.

A few years from now I might be locked into one style of music or sound and buy a dedicated amp but for now these Fender modelers are absolutely the best thing I could have found.

MrWookiee likes this.
  5. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Isnt 100W too much for bedroom practice?

6. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    GC usually has Vox amps in stock, you could try the AC10, or maybe find a used AC15 in your budget. Vox amps go well with Gretsch and Teles.

7. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    That's plenty of money for some great options for a first amp. As @Randy99CL mentioned above, a modeling amp could be a great option to get an idea about what you like. That said, depending on your constitution, it can be overwhelming to have too many choices. I know for myself, I tend to spend too much time listening to the myriad options of modeling devices rather than just playing my guitar. But if you've got the discipline and good practice habits, it might be a good fit. I have a tiny Vox that has some modeling and effects built in and it's kind of a fun practice amp. I bought it because I needed a battery powered option for doing videos on the road while boondocking in our RV. I think I bought it as B-stock on Reverb for around $125 or something like that.

The Supro Delta series sound like really fun amps and I'm guessing you'd be pretty happy with one of them. I've not played them myself but there's great demos out there. And that Supro sound is awesome. I've got their Drive pedal and it's a blast to play. If I had to choose one of them, I'd go with the 10 -- I'm partial to 6V6 tubes.

My advice is this ... if you're not too sure about what you think you like, wade into these waters gently. I'm certain that others can attest to the nature of cycling up as you grow with your instruments. Your skills and taste will develop and you'll want something better/different. I would consider this when making a decision but also make sure that you get something that inspires you. You could buy a great amp for $650 that could very well be all you ever want or need.

MrWookiee likes this.
  8. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    It would be but these are solid-state, not tube amps that drastically change their tone according to the volume/gain settings.

But I do live in an apartment so still play my LT-25 99% of the time. During the day I can turn it up a little but usually plug in headphones so I can play loud. Edit: and I have my LT-25 right in front of the couch I sit on on when I practice so it's less than 3 feet from the guitar. I can get feedback and real dynamics at fairly low volume.

I bought the GTX100 under special circumstances to mainly use for gigging. I've not cranked it even once and look forward to the day I can try it on 10.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    MrWookiee likes this.
  9. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I was thinking one of those modeling amps with 3 million profiles would be cool but am definitely 'that guy' who would spend more time 'experimenting' than actually practicing. Best not to go down that road. As for pedals, I'm afraid to even think about them -- I'm all about the KISS principle. The simpler for me, the better - more because I know my tendency to overthink than for any noble reason.

MKunie and oneforsorrow like this.
  10. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Well, I would say give a classic Fender a look, namely the Blues Junior, new for $600, the Bassbreaker 007 (7 watts, 10 inch Celestion speaker) new for $450, or the Bassbreaker 15 (15 watts, 12 inch Celestion speaker) new for $650.

GlenP and MrWookiee like this.
  11. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Do what I did, scour the innertubes for a couple weeks until eyes are crossed & weepy, get an idea what you want, then apply "The Art of the Steal" to your choice(es), scouring the 'tubes for another week or 2 looking for "the deal". Link below will get you started.

https://reverb.com/c/amps/guitar-combos

12. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Then that Supro might be a good fit. It caught your attention for a reason and I'd pay attention to that. The thing about the Supro is that it is a bit of it's own sound -- it's a really cool sound and I personally love it. I've got a New Amp Day coming and I'm keeping it a secret until it arrives but I spent a lot of time on the Supro site over the last several weeks.

My wife has a Blues Jr. She like it fine. She doesn't play with overdrive and is just now getting into effects pedals at my urging. It's a fine clean amp. They're ubiquitous and easy to find used. I personally find them too bright for my taste (I prefer the thicker, creamier mids) but they're a great amp and likely a good pedal platform if you go that route. She plays a B&G Little Sister with Lollartron P/UPs and it's a nice pairing for her.

Knowing your own inclinations and making choices with that in mind is noble.

Duo Slinger and MrWookiee like this.
  13. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I just saw your info page ... I love that Mellencamp song! His music is responsible for so many things in my life. Namely pointing me down the road I currently travel.

ruger9 and MrWookiee like this.
  14. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I'm the guy who always talks up the Fender Mustangs whenever there is a thread where they seem worthy but I doubt there is even one player here who ever checked them out. I can understand lots of reasons why they are ignored but I guess that I am different from most.
    I love the tech and that they sound fantastic for not much money. I bought mine before I found out the cool guys don't like them. Actually, on YT lots of my favorite players use them, the GTX100 is really popular.

I know they're not a perfect replacement for all those they model but for me, at my experience level, they are amazing and have saved me an absolute fortune. Did I mention the GTX100 has something like 50+ pedals programmed into it? And they operate just like the pedals on the floor with the included footswitch.
    Many single pedals cost more than the $150 retail of the LT-25.

The free Tone software makes them much easier to use than people realize. With a USB cable, the graphic interface on your computer monitor shows pictures of the amp and pedals you have picked and then you use your mouse to select any switch or knob or slider to change any setting. Every device (amp or pedal) has every knob and switch the real one does and they can all be changed to what you want. You can use the controls on the amp too and the sound changes instantly to what you've done. It's really easy and fast and convenient and much easier than using the little LCD screen on the amp. It can be as complicated as you want or (like me) simple as you mostly use the 100+ presets as they are. 100+ in the LT-25, 200 in the GTX100.
    So you sit at home at your computer and create the sounds you like, then name and save them in the memory slots in the amp. When you play out you just select your preset from the list and there you are.
    Electric Love.jpg
    Fender Rock A Billy.jpg

And this video shows how easy it is to change things with a computer. LT-25
    Fender Mustang LT25 Guitar Amp - Great New Firmware Improvements! - YouTube

Groutsch, oneforsorrow and MrWookiee like this.
  15. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    STOP! Your amp budget is $650, have you considered all the peripherals, strings, tuner, case, tax??? You can still get a great amp in your range, even w/ those expenses. I recommend a solid state amp for now. I learned harp on a Bandit 112, that thing was indestructible. Probably why I like hot amps to this day... :cool:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    thunder58 and MrWookiee like this.
  16. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    P.S. Solid state amp wattage will be *roughly* equal to 1/2 that in tube watts. E.g. 100 solid state=50 tube. It's a little like dog years, but, different.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    doc538 and MrWookiee like this.
  17. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Roland JC-40 fan here

MrWookiee and Mr Swisher like this.
  18. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Find an used Fender Pro Junior and you are done. Small, easy, giggeable amp and tone for ages

ruger9 and MrWookiee like this.
  19. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Fender Blues Junior, Vox AC10 or maybe a used Vox AC15… All great amps..

new6659 and MrWookiee like this.
  20. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    looked at a Roland Blues Cube Hot?

MrWookiee and thunder58 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.