Amp advise needed

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Campbell166, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Campbell166

Campbell166 Newbie

Jul 26, 2021
    Uk
    Hello
    I have a 5622t and a telecaster....
    I am looking for a new amp
    Due to space and neighbours I need a quality small amp.....that takes headphones and an mp3 input
    I prefer clean tones
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

audept and GlenP like this.
  2. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Welcome to GT! I’m sure others will chime in shortly. Best of luck with your decision.

3. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    How small? The tiny Blackstar Fly 3 will do that. However, keeping with Blackstar, The ID Core range starting with the 10 watt version will give greater and better tone options.

wildeman likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Welcome aboard!
    Clean, headphone out and MP3 in would mean a solid state amp.
    Lots to choose from, many with built in FX.
    Is it for bedroom/home use only, or will you gig with it as well?

NJDevil likes this.
  5. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    How experienced are you?
    Looking for a small tube amp?
    Have pedals?
    What's the budget?

My everyday practice amp is a Fender Mustang LT-25. 25 watts, 8" speaker, phones jack, aux in, USB out and free Fender Tone software that lets you control the amp. USB lets you record on your computer (with free recording software).
    It's a modeling amp with over 130 presets already programmed but you can make it simple by selecting an amp from the list and just playing it as usual.
    Sounds great, a blast to play with and only costs $150US over here. Not expensive on your side of the pond either.
    Fender Mustang LT25 Guitar Amp - Andertons Music Co.

NJDevil, T Bone, GlenP and 1 other person like this.
  6. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I’d recommend a Roland cube model. Great clean tones. Headphone compatible. Most of this small amps have a way to hook up mp3.

NJDevil likes this.
  7. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    C5431A9D-C96B-44EA-A168-391001C4927C.jpeg B0A76AEC-5315-4930-B6B7-4AC4AB22C5FC.jpeg 0A1BEB24-0B37-4BD2-887B-F06C9C298C03.jpeg
    View attachment 165668
    Circa 98” very Bassman like with master 8+ pre as Master and V30. 5881s, 50wt. Effect loop. Parallel speaker outs.
    Made in Russia for Gibson.
    350$ zone

8. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    If it's only for practice and no gigging, want to keep it super quiet, this Blackstar and similar other products from different manufacturers do fit your bill...

IMG_20210727_105954.jpg

Has a Aux in too

9. Campbell166

Campbell166 Newbie

Jul 26, 2021
    Uk
    Thanks for your input everyone....it’s just for home use and I like simplicity...so I am leaning towards Blackstar....

10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend . Check out some of the Roland Amps . Most with headphones but unfortunately no mp3 . I have a Roland JC40 . The JC22 is nice and a bit smaller
    IMG_0308.JPG IMG_0309.JPG

NJDevil likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Maybe check out the Fender Mustang micro headphone amp. I was impressed watching the RJ Ronquillo demo.

12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Campbell166!
    vintage_grunge_uk_flag_union_jack_doormat.jpg

13. Ashley1983

Ashley1983 Electromatic

Aug 9, 2020
    England
    I think this is the million dollar question

I have gone through a few small amps and in the end they always end up on eBay

Currently I’m on about my 5th. I have settled on an orange crush 20 which is ok but I wouldn’t say great but better than the blackstar fender Vox Marshall and some of the others I’ve tried.

If you go a bit higher in budget you may get what you are looking for but I was after a cheaper option.

the orange was my last roll of the dice before getting a Strymon Iridium which you hear such great things about.

The best small amp I’ve owned is a fender champion 600 and I do really like the AC4 but but they both don’t have headphones and I think that is probably why they sound great cos they are valve

my issue with modelling amps is they sound ok until you plug pedals in and then they change the voice of the pedal.

With a clean sound I like chime and it seems impossible to get on a solid state amp. Maybe I am being a bit unrealistic with what I’m asking for as what I’d like is to replicate my AC15HW1X which is impossible but if you find something decent drop me a message.

the one thing I’ve learnt is don’t listen to reviews and YouTube get it for yourself and have a go

14. lordhelmet

lordhelmet Gretschie

Apr 5, 2020
    Germany
    The Blackstar HT 1 is a tube amp with Inputs for headphone, mp3 and USB, it is neighbour-friendly (1 W) and has two voicings (US/Fender and UK/Marshall).

Campbell166 and thunder58 like this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Welcome here.
    You could check the Positive Grid Spark 40. It is currently the taste of the year when it comes to practise-amps. It is everywhere on youtube.

Henry and PBO Blues like this.
  16. Ashley1983

Ashley1983 Electromatic

Aug 9, 2020
    England
    I like the 5w but the 1w sounds crap IMO

17. Ashley1983

Ashley1983 Electromatic

Aug 9, 2020
    England
    I’ve seen this it’s an interesting modelling amp but they are not responsible. For that money (I think it’s over £200 in UK) I’d rarhater put a little bit towards it and buy a 2nd hand iridium and you would never lose money on it if you ever sold it

18. jvin248

jvin248 Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Near Detroit

Lately I hop on a Line 6 Spider IV 15watt practice amp. I used to hate these amps until I found how to reset their 'secret controls' via an online manual. Removing the over-aggressive noise reduction circuit and then reprogramming the 'metal-moarmetal-insanemetal' presets into useful 'clean-blues-surf-70smetal' make it easy to get five or ten minute practice sessions fit between other things which is what I get these days. These are pretty inexpensive on the used market. I got a Fender Mustang I and found that sounds a lot worse even though there are more 'tones' available (8inch in the Fender vs 10inch speaker in the Line6 is most of that problem)

Check out the Orange 35RT.

The other angle is find any amp that can play clean to give you volume and the headphone jack and in front of that use a Joyo American Sound pedal for the cabinet tones.

Groutsch likes this.
  19. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Here's a hidden feature.

20210801_113136.jpg

I use mine more as a garden boom box than a practice Amp, though I did use it with an acoustic and lap steel for a garden jam, worked great with a volume pedal.

20. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I own mine for more than a year and I am still loking for the user manual....:eek::D I have not found (much less used) half of it`s features, yet.

It`s the same as with my iPhone. They are delivered without anything to read. So I have to consult my son three times a day. The fact that he slowly but surely thinks that his old man is a complete idiot makes me feel bad.
    I recently found a navigation-system for pedestrians on my phone. With 3-D picktures of the city. What a cool feature! My son showed an incredible voice-controlled translation-app to me. How great is that?
    There are so many brilliant ideas and helpful features in modern devices. But what is all his for when a) you don`t know that it`s in there and b) where to find it/how to use it?

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.