Am I still a guitar player if...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by MCGretscher, Feb 18, 2021.

1. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    If I ever get a YouTube channel going I promise I will GET TO THE POINT! Whatever the title of the video and the thumbnail suggests should be well under way in less than 30 seconds, preferably less than 15. So many content creators get way up their own butts a sniffin’ away and fall into the “look what I can do” syndrome of filmmaking. When this happens I’m like Nobody cares! I’ve got like 18 videos running down the right side of this window that are starting to look more interesting than your long winded apologies, please justas and I just need to tell ya bull krap. SHOW ME THE THING!

Taco Cat and MotorCentaur like this.
  2. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Metal Zone is the Answer to all questions.

/s

wildeman likes this.
  3. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Scooped mids? I always crank them!!!!

4. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    You know what, I've been using computers since the days of Windows 3.1 and never knew the "Rule of Three" thing. See, you really can teach an old dog new tricks!

Btw, there's plenty of videos on you-tube where the Rule of Six, Seven or Eight can be pretty handy, too.

Thanks Taco Cat!

Taco Cat likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Luxury!!!
    Remember the Commodore 64?

new6659 and Highroller like this.
  6. manunk

manunk Gretschie

The topic is mids. I have found that amps vary hugely on what the mid control brings you. Generally, for acoustic guitars, if you use an EQ pedal you turn the mids down, getting the typical "smile" pattern. For my ear, rock and metal sounds best with lower mids., higher treble. I have often heard that, to cut through the mix (be heard) in a band you need to increase mids. I have just upped the volume.
    What I'm wondering about...if an amp (or guitar) only has bass and treble controls, how do you adjust the mids?

7. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Don’t worry, I still can’t figure out what chime, sparkle and twang are. Oddly enough, I recognize quack.

new6659 likes this.
  8. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    And booting your OS from a 5.25" Floppy! Ha!

But we digress ... the topic (apparently) is "mids". Carry on, gentlemen.

new6659 likes this.
  9. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Mids are the lifeblood of guitar. Scooping them is just.....silly. And this is coming from a lifetime metal head.

10. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    That sounds terrible to my ears, both scooped and un-scooped. I find no pleasure in listening to these sounds.

11. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Have only one thing to add

I like this thread :cool:

12. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle

13. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    My Mustang LT-25 does not have a mid control so I just keep things in perspective, IOW I adjust the B & T controls against the fixed mids. For example, b&t both on 9 or 10, volume down a little = scooped mids.
    If you turn the b&t down to less than 5 you get boosted mids, relatively.
    It's just automatic really, just work with the knobs you have until it sounds like you want.

With the LT-25, I can (and do) adjust the mids in the software but there isn't a knob on the amp.

And I am going to buy an EQ pedal to play with, partly to experiment and learn about the freq bands the guitar lives in.

14. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    It is kind of crazy, some of the terms used to describe sounds. I once wrote Rick Beato in FB asking him to do a video demonstrating some of the more obscure terms. He ignored me.

I've only been learning to play for about 14 months and have had to work to train my ear. It's funny that I'm in my late '60s, was an audiophile for much of my life but never really critically listened to the sound of guitars to learn the differences. Sure I could usually recognize a Strat or Tele or LP but it isn't so obvious anymore as musicians work to find their own sound.
    I have a good bi-amped component speaker system on my computer and that makes a huge difference. I've watched and listened to hundreds of videos and really learned a lot. With good speakers you can hear a lot of the subtleties in the different guitar voices.

And I've bought a number of guitars and have noticed the differences in them. For example, my first two guitars were in the $400 range with HBs and I wasn't wild about their sound but couldn't really describe why. Then I got a LP with Gibson Classic '57 (and '57 Classic Plus) pickups and realized the cheap ones were muddy, slurred, boomy and the '57s are sharp, detailed, well defined, balanced and smooth. The best HBs I've heard IMO.

I've discovered that I love the sound of single-coils most. Might be because of my high-freq hearing loss but I've now got a bunch of different single coils and love them. Strats, Teles, G&L MFDs (amazing!), P-90s and some of my favorites are the DeArmond 2000s in my G5129! When you mentioned chime, sparkle and twang I thought of those pickups, they have all three and more!

Edit: and BTW, Windows 2.0 here and actually bought a copy of 1.0 to collect but never installed. Ran on an 80286 with 1 meg RAM, late '80s. Sooooooo slow.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Robbie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.