Am i crazy wanting to remove my chet arm?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Opart68, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Opart68

Opart68 Gretschie

Feb 14, 2011
    Australia
    I know I'm going to get some sarcastic replies. I've tried, but it's always in the way. I'm not going to get rid of it, I just like the feel of the stock B6C tremolo arm. If I've only had the Chet arm on my Tennessee Rose, combined with a Compton bridge, will it effect the tone at all by the arm swap? Silly questions I know but I'm really debating swapping them.

2. Opart68

Opart68 Gretschie

Feb 14, 2011
    Australia
    I say "sarcastic " only in that when I posted the pics of it originally, it was pretty obvious that the Chet arm made this guitar for most of the people that replied.

3. JimmyB1982

JimmyB1982 Country Gent

Jul 5, 2012
    Saugus, CA
    I swapped out the spoon for the Chet arm on my TR too, mainly for aesthetics. It does get in the way, I'm looking to change the standard mount for the swivel, hoping that'll make it less in the way :) have you tried that at all? If it doesn't work I'll put the spoon back on. Definitely didn't notice any difference in tone. I've got the Compton too, and nothing noticeable.

For me it comes down to comfort and what I'll use. If I get to that point I'll go back and never think twice :)

Actually thinking about dropping a pair of the SD Tall Boys in there! I want variety, and so in order to justify getting an Annie one day I don't want to have 2 similar Filtertron guitars... I know I'll catch flack, BUT it's all what makes sense in MY head that helps me with modding. Hahahaha!! And the advice of my fellow forum members of course! :D

4. snoglobe

snoglobe Gretschie

That's funny Opart68, it was your photos that made me put a Chet arm on my TR.

Initially it was purely for the looks. And sure it feels different, but I'm finding that I really like it.

I'm actually using the Bigsby more. I like the full range of motion, the fit in the hand, even resting my wrist in the nook.

I think the only way I would put the butter knife back on was if I was selling the guitar.

But if it's not for you, then it's not for you. Make your TR right for you.

5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I tried the Chet arm, didn't like as much as the classic Bigsby handle, so sold it and went to the other.

6. Opart68

Opart68 Gretschie

Feb 14, 2011
    Australia
    Thanks guys. And I'm chuffed that the Chet arm on my Tennessee Rose inspired your own mod. I'm swapping today, and if I'm disappointed.... I'll put it back.

7. eastmountain

eastmountain Gretschie

May 1, 2013
    Missouri
    I'd give my right arm to play like Chet...but then, I couldn't play like Chet with one arm could I?

8. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

If you don't want your Chet arm, can I buy it?

9. freespoken

freespoken Gretschie

Jul 31, 2011
    New Mexico
    Went back to the original arm too....just liked it better...good enough reason for me.

10. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    If I got rid of the Chet Arm on my 5127, I'd never go back to the stock one... The Brake Handle Arm I've seen thrown around in pics lately has me thinking.

I've contemplated a DE for my 6129.

The thing I don't care for on the stock arms is the flimsiness of them. But, both of my Gretsches have swivels... Which is why the heavier DE arm has some appeal.

11. Opart68

Opart68 Gretschie

Feb 14, 2011
    Australia
    Well operation successful, and here are the pictures to prove it...

12. Opart68

Opart68 Gretschie

Feb 14, 2011
    Australia
    Here are the pictures to prove it... Original arm back on 6119, and my rocking bar bridge and base on my 6120

Attached Files:

13. jflintmac

jflintmac Country Gent

I found the Chet Arm to be a little more sturdy, so it seemed a bit more responsive. Plus it has a little adjustabillity in the actual height so that I can raise or lower it a bit by turning the bar. For me, getting that - perfect height is very important

14. calvin lee

calvin lee Country Gent

Jan 5, 2011
    new york
    for me personally, the chet arm is much easier to use. i feel that i have a lot more control with the chet arm. but i don't dislike the standard bigsby i have either. it's just a matter of preference.

15. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I like the Chet arm because it's so idiosyncratic. It's just more Gretschy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.