Alternative "vintage"... yes, Ibanez!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Wayne Gretschzky, Sep 20, 2020.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Those guards are toxic, all the rot and gold plating deterioration on my 2635 is from the acetate guard off gassing.

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    My first quality quality guitar that I bought new in 1984.

upload_2020-9-20_13-46-32.png

1883 and new6659 like this.
  3. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    My favorite older Ibanezes are the Japanese-made Talmans from the early '90s. The best of them were the TC-740 (HSS pickup configuration, Gotoh floating vibrato), and the TC-625 (or maybe it was 825), dual humbuckers with factory (licensed) Bigsby, and mother-of-toilet-seat pickguard. TV Jones pickups like the ones in the picture were not stock, this one was a restoration I did, albeit with my own color choice and wiring scheme (bridge/out-of-phase/bridge-neck/bridge-neck-in-series/neck), and the Bigsby is now a US-made B5. Wonderful guitars that fit my body just right, and, I have on good authority, were inspirational to Joe Naylor, founder of Reverend Guitars. Wouldn't mind a vintage Ibanez Artist, though, those were pretty sweet.
    [​IMG]

ZackyDog likes this.
  4. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1 on the original Talman line. From that, these were mine...

Ibanez Talman one-off.JPG

Ibanez Talman TC830.JPG

giffenf and new6659 like this.
  5. 1883

1883 Gretschie

Apr 12, 2015
    Aotearoa
    Yes , that is a 1976 one. Here a photo of my 2390, also from 1976 (contrary to what I said in an earlier post); I did quite a bit of work on it to restore it to its former glory.

[​IMG]

BCRatRod73, ZackyDog and new6659 like this.
  6. Berington

Berington Electromatic

Jan 6, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Beautiful guitar! Really a good match to the Gibson L5CES, minus a couple of specific details, but for a long time, that was an Ibanez (& other Japanese & Korean cos.) specialty - making virtually identical lower-cost replicas of Gibson & other high-end American guitars. Many seemed as good as the originals, though I don't know about their source materials. I have a great '77 Takamine acoustic 12-string, which to this day plays and sounds beautifully. It's in perfect shape, aside from needing to have the fingerboard leveled a few years ago, but it's one of their "lawsuit" guitars. The logo looks exactly like a Martin logo, as does the the entire guitar, a typical Martin dreadnought. I'd no idea when I bought it from a friend, but have gotten many questions since. Takamine did eventually have to change their headstock and logo. But these can be great guitars, make no mistake, and their newer, current models, as beautifully-made and high-end as anyone's!

Well, case in point: the Terada, Japan-made "Fender" Gretsches are thought by many to be more consistently better-made than many of the original U.S. Gretsches. I have 2 of the Terada reissues, of the '62 Tennessean and the '62 Country Gentleman, (2004 & 2008 respectively), and they're both absolutely beautiful, and sound and play beautifully, too. Lots of great work coming from that neck o' the woods!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    new6659 and JC higgy like this.
  7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  8. beep.click

beep.click Country Gent

Apr 30, 2009
    California
    Does anyone have any information about an Ibanez telecaster clone? My friend has one, and has never been able to find anything out about it.

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The materials are beautiful on my Artist, figured maple, Honduran mahogany, Ebony and real Abalone inlay. It is the finest guitar i have owned, right there with a Martin J40 i had.

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A lot of guys got into hose Artcore models. They were a "gateway" to Gretsches. Pretty good bang for the buck. The Talman series is pretty nice as well.

11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, i actually put TV Jones in mine.

12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Great Ibanez pics in this thread

Like the complete idiot I was around 1980 I sold a stunning Ibanez AS200 so I could get a Fender Strat because we just formed a band. The Strat was a piece of crap and the Ibanez was spectacular. I have regretted that decision ever since

Not my guitar, just a pic from the web

0213322D-BC39-476B-9BEC-8C367DC02071.jpeg

13. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    My 83 Artist AM205 back in the early 80's. I had been gassing for a 335 knowing that I didn't have the bucks when one day I was in a little Mom and Pop music store and a guy walked in to return this one that he had bought for his kid a few months earlier. He took the hit, walked out the door and I laid my cash on the table. Never did get the Gibson and I never missed it. It was my only guitar for many many years and it's still one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1883, wildeman and new6659 like this.
  14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Gibson who? Forget about it:rolleyes:

GAMBLER1234 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.