Alot of Junior Jets?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Ted Keane, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Electromatic

Mar 19, 2016
    Ft Collins,Colorado
    Is it just me,or am I seeing the new Junior Jets everywhere?Ebay,reverb,amazon,walmart.I'd like to pick up one,but I'll wait.

hcsterg, r0de0 and Back in Black like this.
  2. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    I have serious gas for the mint green p90 / dynatron? Nothing more rock than a sweet slab sixer. :)

Ando, wabash slim and nickurso like this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    They are kickass rockers! I've played a few and they hit way outta their class.

4. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Ted,

No it's not your imagination, the guitar is very popular.

This is the guitar you end up walking out of the shop with, when all you went there for in the first place was strings and picks.

It's a Gretsch, and it's uber affordable! the only two conditions that matter...the ''baby rattle'' green is the hook!

I have a brand new Brian Setzer ''Signature'' PU, that will compliment the bridge position.

I do need strings and picks, but we just entered a 28 day Pandemic Lockdown here in Ottawa, so my LGD is closed as of today until the end of January...tick/tick/tick...

Then again...there is always ''on-line''

BIB.

soap bar jet.png

hcsterg, T-Bawler and nickurso like this.
  5. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I have one and love it. So there is a reason they are so popular. 5D8C93D6-A8BE-493A-A99A-3B780E2BCD0F.jpeg

hcsterg, BeeHine1, Ando and 1 other person like this.
  6. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

Can't say I've seen them in Walmart yet but if one of the P90 version shows up it's coming home with me. The Juniors seem to find me.

imageedit_1_8732743377.jpg

Cazza64, hcsterg, englishman and 8 others like this.
  7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I still have my old JJ2. I pulled out the horrible mini-Gretschbuckers and put in two P90s. It was a drop in conversion. It was my first Gretsch and it's a great guitar.

Junior Jet II  a.jpg Junior Jet II  b.jpg

Cazza64, hcsterg, Axis39 and 8 others like this.
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That blue one is awesome, never seen one in that color or with one with pickup.

9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well thats all the encouragement i need to do this, when i find one forsale for the right price.

10. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

It's a G1126 - Pre FMIC. Now sporting a T-Armond. Original was called a "lap steel" pickup. Added a G tail.

Axis39 and Ted Keane like this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's the same pickup Gretsch used in their Electromatic lap steel at the time. It's about the same size as the dreaded minihums that came out about the same time. Just wish there were more DeArmond 2000 models around.

Axis39 likes this.
  12. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Electromatic

Mar 19, 2016
    Ft Collins,Colorado
    I'm planning on picking 1 or 2 up.Gold and Sahara metalic.I just see them everywhere.

13. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

Like this? I guess for some some reason I don't consider this one a Jr.

IMG_20201208_142055.jpg

Cazza64, hcsterg, Chmason85 and 5 others like this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I didn't know about these when I bought my Pro Jet. I'd've much proffered the DeArmonds to the minihums, and it has to be lighter. Single coils on a mahogany slab---can't go wrong.

Back in Black likes this.
  15. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I had a chance to buy seven of them - NOS - from Class Axe music. Foolishly, I didn't. (sigh)

wabash slim likes this.
  16. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Slim,

Another thing worth considering with the ''Juniors'' is the fact that you can very easily pack/shim/wedge between the bottom of the bolt on neck and the top of the body neck cavity route.

This past summer when I built my Malcolm using a G2222 as a base, you can do nothing as far as neck height to make parts like a Space Control bridge/height adjustment wheels/ base, work properly without modding the bridge assembly...the top of neck height off the top of the body is just too low.

With these Juniors, you can pack under the neck to easily raise the neck height, which allows bridge mods, and tremolo add-ons.

With the neck height adjusted on the model in the attached photo, any manner of simple to perform mods become possible.

For me, the bridge PU is the first thing to go, next the bridge, third the knobs.

In their place, Brian Setzer Sig bridge PU/complete Space Control bridge assembly/real Gretsch knobs/ my modded B5 Bigsby.

An hour's work, it would be a completely different guitar when finished. All made easy, because you can adjust neck height off the body.

BIB.

DSCF1278.JPG DSCF1285.JPG DSCF1307.JPG DSCF1245.JPG soap bar jet.png

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've shimmed a bolt-on neck before. You can get the action exactly where you want it. The Space Control bridge is one of the last types I'd use, tho. I'm a firm believer in a solid bar bridge, a la Tru-Arc or Compton. I'd like to see Gretsch use G/arrow knobs on these, even if they were made of plastic.

Mr Twangy, Ando and Back in Black like this.
  18. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

What is the weight estimate on this?

19. Runamok

Runamok Synchromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    No InstaCart in Ottawa?

It occurs to me if you adopt the Keith Richards method, every 5th string change gets you a new set, if you can deal with a guitar strung with all low E’s.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.