Aloha , New to Ukulele , New to Gretsch

J Bird

Synchromatic
Dec 2, 2016
Enumclaw
If I didn't already have a uke, I probably would have got one at the Aloha Stadium swap meet when I was there a couple of years ago. It could be worth the drive/bus ride.

rosa_m

Electromatic
Oct 26, 2021
Hawaii
If I didn't already have a uke, I probably would have got one at the Aloha Stadium swap meet when I was there a couple of years ago. It could be worth the drive/bus ride.
The Aloha Stadium dealer I know also has a booth at Ohana Hale Marketplace , 333 Ward Ave . (former Sports Authority location)

rosa_m

Electromatic
Oct 26, 2021
Hawaii
Nut width is about 32mm going to about 45mm at body join, 12th fret.
Neck is very comfortable, just slightly chunkier perhaps than my Kamaka which has quite a slim neck in comparison.
I took the saddle down a little, as well as the nut grooves. Got a lovely low action about 2mm at 12th fret.
Neck almost straight, maybe relief in the middle is about paper thin. No fret buzz. All the notes ring clean right down the neck. Perfect.
Mahalo for your feedback . I'm intrigued by this uke .
I'm also considering the Ohana CK-35 concert .

Londoner

Gretschie
Dec 18, 2020
UK
Mahalo for your feedback . I'm intrigued by this uke .
I'm also considering the Ohana CK-35 concert .
I actually had a Mainland concert a few years ago which I believe is the the Ohana, albeit under a different name.
It was a very good uke, well made with a nice gloss finish. Was good to play.
The Gretsch being just a stained finish doesn't look as nice, pretty much just basic, but as far as I remember, it resonates a lot better, louder, and I love the tone.
I'm sure you will be happy with either. Good luck.

Last edited:

rosa_m

Electromatic
Oct 26, 2021
Hawaii
I actually had a Mainland concert a few years ago which I believe is the the Ohana, albeit under a different name.
It was a very good uke, well made with a nice gloss finish. Was good to play.
The Gretsch being just a stained finish doesn't look as nice, pretty much just basic, but as far as I remember, it resonates a lot better, louder, and I love the tone.
I'm sure you will be happy with either. Good luck.

AFAIK , Mainland is it's own brand .

Mahalo & Aloha

Londoner

Gretschie
Dec 18, 2020
UK
AFAIK , Mainland is it's own brand .

Mahalo & Aloha
Yes, you're right of course, but the general opinion on ukulele forums is that they're both made in the same Chinese factory.
Anyway, let us know what you decide to buy, and send a photo.

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA
Stupid Deal of the Day - D'Aangelico concert uke. I bought one of these a couple of years ago in mahogany, when I started dabbling with stringed instruments. I like it and it sounds great imho, though I didn't have a passion for it and switched to guitar. Great bang for the buck, though I've never compared it with anything else.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

Tele295

Country Gent
Jun 4, 2008
Bigsby Springs, CA
AF586DA4-DB64-4A8C-90B4-713B74AFF6D7.jpeg

Here are my performing/recording ukuleles. All 3 sport PhD strings, pickups (K&K in Kamaka, and Baggs in the others), and purchased through Anacapa Ukulele in Ventura, CA (plug for my pals!).

Kanile’a Custom Tenor (my main instrument these days)
Kamaka Lili VI
Ohana BK-70 Baritone

Last edited:

Glaw

Gretschie
Aug 30, 2017
ca.
A64CECC4-878B-4071-B694-C141C62F255F.jpeg 453DD1A6-19DF-4490-AD31-A40D08A8FEFF.jpeg
Aloha
I haven’t played a lot of ukes but this one sounds good and looks pretty cool. It’s all solid koa, made in Hawaii and was under $200 . Lanikai ckcgc

rosa_m

Electromatic
Oct 26, 2021
Hawaii
Congratulations.
So you went for the Gretsch in the end!
I tough decision, but I think you made the right one.
I hope you're as happy with it as I am with mine.

It does indeed have a lovely tone ! , (and look) .
But I find it a bit boomy , a booming C string , even with a string change ; .
Also , I knew going in the nut is considered a bit narrow , and I do find it a bit narrow .
I was , and am , intrigued by this uke , so no regrets .
I still may get the Ohana CK-35 as it's solid wood Mahogany , top , back and sides .
And I think the nut may be just enough wider .

Rock Lajoint

Synchromatic
Nov 16, 2014
Sussex, England
I have 3 ukes. An Ohana baritone (BK20 I think), which has a nice mellow sound and made a nice alternative when I played in a uke group.
Also 2 tenors, both Kala, an acacia model, solid top back and sides, that was expensive as ukes go, and also a solid spruce top model. The spruce top one is fabulous, the best sounding uke in our group by a long way, it has a wonderful sweet sound. The acacia one is gorgeous to look at but a little bit lacking in depth.
If I had to recommend a uke to anyone it would be one of the Kala spruce top series.

rosa_m

Electromatic
Oct 26, 2021
Hawaii
I have 3 ukes. An Ohana baritone (BK20 I think), which has a nice mellow sound and made a nice alternative when I played in a uke group.
Also 2 tenors, both Kala, an acacia model, solid top back and sides, that was expensive as ukes go, and also a solid spruce top model. The spruce top one is fabulous, the best sounding uke in our group by a long way, it has a wonderful sweet sound. The acacia one is gorgeous to look at but a little bit lacking in depth.
If I had to recommend a uke to anyone it would be one of the Kala spruce top series.

"The Ohanas have a nice light construction that makes it very resonant."
Kalas are overbuilt bricks .
And I like my Gretsch !

Last edited:

Latest posts