Aloha , New to Ukulele , New to Gretsch

rosa_m

Electromatic
Oct 26, 2021
Hawaii
Aloha ,
I just started playing ukulele and I like Hawaiian music .
The Gretsch g9100 has caught my attention .
I'm seeing mostly the standard soprano and long neck on You Tube but I'm more interested in the concert size .
So , I'd like to hear feedback on that model from anyone that has one .
Mahalo ,
Rosa

BrianW

Country Gent
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver Island
Sorry I can't give feedback on the 9100 - never had one. However, welcome to the forum and hopefully somebody will be along soon that is familiar with it

cheers

Dana Rudd

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2019
Greybull, WY
Hello Rosa_m and welcome to the forum.

I know nothing about ukuleles, so I can't help. Hopefully other members can answer your questions.

Gregor

Country Gent
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Welcome Rosa. I used to play uke when I was much younger but gave it to my granddaughter. Sorry I'm no help re your question but someone here should be able to.

Scamp

Gretschie
Feb 22, 2018
SoCal
Welcome Rosa..Couple years back I got a baritone uke. It was fun to play. Played and tuned just like a six string guitar, without the two lower strings, which was a big reason for me to buy it. Don't remember the brand, I got it from a ukulele store near me.
Did you check out the post about what makes Hawaiian music? Maybe someone on that post might be able to help

Tele295

Country Gent
Jun 4, 2008
Bigsby Springs, CA
I’ve played the Gretsch tenor. It’s a good instrument at that price point, but I would switch out the strings for fluorocarbons (PhD, Worth, etc.) immediately.

rcboals

Country Gent
Nov 21, 2008
Springfield Oregon
Aloha ,
I just started playing ukulele and I like Hawaiian music .
The Gretsch g9100 has caught my attention .
I'm seeing mostly the standard soprano and long neck on You Tube but I'm more interested in the concert size .
So , I'd like to hear feedback on that model from anyone that has one .
Mahalo ,
Rosa

Having been going to Hawaii every year for the last 15 years at least. Here is my advice buy your uke from a music store in Hawaii you will get good advice and an instrument without issues that sounds and is set up to play like you want. When I have been to the ukulele stores in Hawaii they have had ukuleles up the wazoo in stock from beginner to high end pricing from $ to $$$$$ depending on quality. I got into ukes about four years ago started with lower priced ukes and the Ohana brand in my opinion is the best quality in the under $400.00 price range. Playing Ukulele is so fun and relaxing as I am sure you know by now. Which island are you on?

rosa_m

Electromatic
Oct 26, 2021
Hawaii
Welcome @rosa_m , glad you found us . We like Hawaiian music here too . In fact we were just discussing it here the other day
https://www.gretsch-talk.com/thread...usic-well-hawaiian.213306/page-2#post-1440354
Let's see your ukulele :)

Kiwaya KSU-1L Long Neck Soprano
33770e6b-b1c6-47a9-a243-2632be2270c1_1_201_a-jpeg.170185

Attachments

• 33770E6B-B1C6-47A9-A243-2632BE2270C1_1_201_a.jpeg
    33770E6B-B1C6-47A9-A243-2632BE2270C1_1_201_a.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 87

rosa_m

Electromatic
Oct 26, 2021
Hawaii
Hi, I have a G9110 concert size, and love it.
Mahogany stained body, lovely tone.
I use Worth fluorocarbon strings.
It's the one 2nd left.
*Seeing as you're in Hawaii, you've got some great options to look around though!
View attachment 170177
No shortage of ukes here but the Gretsch caught my attention on You Tube , for it's sound/tone and roots style .
It's marketed on Gretsch website as Folk & Bluegrass but seems to me old-school Hawaiian .

rosa_m

Electromatic
Oct 26, 2021
Hawaii
Having been going to Hawaii every year for the last 15 years at least. Here is my advice buy your uke from a music store in Hawaii you will get good advice and an instrument without issues that sounds and is set up to play like you want. When I have been to the ukulele stores in Hawaii they have had ukuleles up the wazoo in stock from beginner to high end pricing from $ to $$$$$ depending on quality. I got into ukes about four years ago started with lower priced ukes and the Ohana brand in my opinion is the best quality in the under $400.00 price range. Playing Ukulele is so fun and relaxing as I am sure you know by now. Which island are you on?

Oahu , Honolulu .

GVDobler

Synchromatic
May 15, 2011
Las Vegas
I was stationed in Honolulu Hawaii during the sixties. My job was undercover for the military looking for AWOL military personnel. My job was going to all the bars on Kalakaua and hanging out in the International Market place. Tough duty as they say. Saw Don Ho and I remember watching Hilo Hattie on television. Great place Hawaii. Went back a number of times over the years.

Londoner

Gretschie
Dec 18, 2020
UK
* I guess Gretsch market it as Folk & Bluegrass" as they don't know what else to market it as? :rolleyes:
I guess they could have a Hawaiian section together with their lap steel.

Last edited:

Londoner

Gretschie
Dec 18, 2020
UK
Nut is standard width I think . How's the neck ?
Nut width is about 32mm going to about 45mm at body join, 12th fret.
Neck is very comfortable, just slightly chunkier perhaps than my Kamaka which has quite a slim neck in comparison.
I took the saddle down a little, as well as the nut grooves. Got a lovely low action about 2mm at 12th fret.
Neck almost straight, maybe relief in the middle is about paper thin. No fret buzz. All the notes ring clean right down the neck. Perfect.

Londoner

Gretschie
Dec 18, 2020
UK
Here in the UK, I bought my Kamaka online direct from these guys in Hawaii -
https://theukulelesite.com
Paying that sort of money, I wanted a good set up plus a pickup installed.
Joel, their set up guy, did an excellent job, keeping me informed via a phone call or two on how it was all going.
Don't think they do Gretsch though?

Latest posts