For Sale Alameda Guitars Off KilterTron Bridge pickup - Price Drop.

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Longtime GDP member Mel Waldorf makes these pickups. Six different sounds from each pickup.

Mel's website: https://alamedaguitars.com

Never used. Chrome finish. Bridge position. Includes the control knob.

$125 plus shipping. Will ship internationally. PayPal or Venmo only. PM me if interested.

IMG_3112-S.jpg
IMG_3113-S.jpg
IMG_3114-S.jpg

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
This reminds me of B.B. King's Lucille with the Varitone knob. If I remember the article correctly, it used different diodes to change the tone of the guitar, in addition to the usual volume and tone knobs.

Pretty cool.

Lacking Talent

Country Gent
Aug 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
This reminds me of B.B. King's Lucille with the Varitone knob. If I remember the article correctly, it used different diodes to change the tone of the guitar, in addition to the usual volume and tone knobs.

Pretty cool.

Mel's pickups are based upon a much more sophisticated engineering concept than the Varitone, which is simply an inexpensive capacitor/resistor network that scoops set spreads of midrange from a guitar's output signal depending which position of the rotary switch is selected (one of which is a "true bypass"); big volume drops from position to position, and a range of sounds that have been described as ranging from "choked" to "muffled" to "cocked wah" to "AM radio" -- it has its uses, but not many fans.

The handmade Off Kiltertron you see above is an asymmetrical, dual bobbin, multi-coil pickup (designed and built by @MelWaldorf) that offer three single coil and three humbucking settings -- via various combinations of the pickup's blade and slug polepieces (and also tapping the coil windings at various points, IIRC), depending which position of the rotary switch is selected -- which produce a very wide range of tonal character ranging from Gretsch to Guild to Gibson to Fender to (even) Rickenbacker. I have a set in a Gretsch of mine, and they deliver.

Somebody oughta buy this!