Ah Ha, Look what i got!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by TheMicster, May 29, 2020.

1. Ok so its not the best large diaphragm condenser mic out there for vocals but i think it could be the best value for money and its getting amazing reviews. For the price i just had to try it, i mean its less than half the price of a Shure SM 7B.

upload_2020-5-29_19-45-23.jpeg

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Those are plenty good, i had a NT1 for years and was never dissatisfied.

Les Pedals and TheMicster like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congratulations , enjoy the recording and singing . ( never thought of this until now ..... a microphone with a face mask ) I'm here all week folks :p

4. Gibbsy

Gibbsy Gretschie

May 6, 2020
    London, UK
    Been thinking about one of those for a while now. Hope it sounds good. Let us know.
    I've been using my old trusty AKG C1000 'small' condenser mic for vocals, but looking for something a bit more airy/breathy if you know what I mean.

TheMicster likes this.
  5. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    They’re great microphones.
    I’ve had a NT1 as well and it’s always been my go-to condenser since I decided to switch to old ribbons. There was nothing that the Rode couldn’t make it sound better than what actually was :)

TheMicster likes this.
  6. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    I picked up the NT2A a while ago, for the same reason - great reviews and good price. Great value

I can't say my voice is made palatable by it :rolleyes: but it does what it is supposed to!

Have fun!

TheMicster likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Rode makes some great mikes. Enjoy it!

TheMicster likes this.
  8. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Do you plan to use it for vocals only, or maybe to record an acoustic guitar also?

once I was recording a demo for a singer friend, and I kept hearing these clicks or pops and it was driving me crazy. I realized it would happen when she would grab the mic, and I thought I had some grounding issue. But it was the ring on her finger tapping the mic when she would grab it. Fun times in the home studio, back in the day. One of those vibe isolated mics would have solved that problem, oh and don’t touch the mic too!

TheMicster likes this.
  9. Yeah i definitely want to try it on the acoustic guitar but i did mainly buy it for vocals and i did hear they're quite sensitive.
    Hmmm i'm just thinking on the best way to set it up with my marshall AS100D no phantom power on those marshalls.

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It ought to be fine for both vocals and acoustic instruments.

I've worked in theater and TV for decades. I'm amazed how many so-called "professionals" have no concept on mike handling and technique. The one thing that really burns me is people that grab a lavalier (meant to be at least 6" away from the sound source) and put it right up to their mouths to speak. It goes back to the concept that if you make something idiot proof, along will come smarter idiots.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You'll definitely need a power source, either phantom power from the board, or a separate power supply. You may have to get a newer board that can supply the 48VDC as needed. It won't work without power.

TheMicster likes this.
  12. I can't believe the mic on its own weighs almost a kilo 2 pounds.
    upload_2020-5-30_18-23-42.jpeg

upload_2020-5-30_18-24-13.jpeg

audept likes this.
  13. I'm sure there's heavier mics but Wow!

upload_2020-5-30_18-33-58.jpeg

upload_2020-5-30_18-34-30.jpeg

14. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I did a lot of live recordings with that. It was superb for drums.
    Over the years, I grew up tired of the almost unnatural overtones that condenser mics produce on vocals or acoustic guitars so I switched it on percussions.
    Either way, he could do it all. I even used it as a room mic to record some very old fashioned electric guitar sound. It wasn’t Sun Records, but it did great. :)

TheMicster likes this.
  15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have only heard good things about this mic from some home recording friends.

TheMicster likes this.
  16. Yeah look this mic really sounds great, crisp, clean and clear, i like it!

audept likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice