Agh nut!

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Wildwood609, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Wildwood609

Wildwood609 Electromatic

Oct 12, 2018
    Earth
    I found this Streamliner for a steal (less than $300!) and it sounds/plays great.

however, I noticed when changing the strings that the factory nut seems to have a gap.

I can go grab a Tusq replacement for $12 from GC, but I’ve never attempted a nut install.

As a novice, should I try it myself or just leave this one alone? Is this even a cause for concern or am I just being nit-picky?

Attached Files:

Back in Black likes this.
  2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Is the photo of the gap issue? It does not look perfect but looks acceptable in that shot.

If the nut is stable and tuning is good it should be fine.....Unless there is another issue..

DADB1832-F247-4B57-8239-012C06D797EE.jpeg

3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Go for it!

Wildwood609 likes this.
  4. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I was intimidated the first time, too, but it's easy if you pay attention and take it slow.

Wildwood609 likes this.
  5. Wildwood609

Wildwood609 Electromatic

Oct 12, 2018
    Earth
    yes, I’m sure I’m amplifying it because it’s not “perfect”. Ha!

this is what I needed to hear though. Nothing is wrong with tuning or intonation. Sometimes I would do well enough to just leave things alone. Haha

gtttrrr and MrWookiee like this.
  6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    End of story . . . .

Mogg, Wildwood609, Gregor and 3 others like this.
  7. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    @Wildwood609 Not about the nut… but is that crack of some sort or just a scratch?

Btw, thats such a cool pair in your avatar.

Attached Files:

Wildwood609 likes this.
  8. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    Be careful removing nuts.
    I learnt the hard way!

IMG_2185.jpeg IMG_2186.jpeg

9. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Exactly

10. Fat Bastid

Fat Bastid Gretschie

Jan 16, 2021
    England
    Same problem with my Streamliner G2622t.. Replaced the nut for a
    TUSQ XL and it is better although still a clear small gap at the top
    even after filing the nut. Must be a manufacturing problem.
    I have considered filling the hole in with shaved match-sticks, but
    I'll only do this if I have Nut problems and all seems stable so far..
    Good luck!! And remember a nut can be replaced easier than a neck!

11. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That gap isn’t anything to worry about. Part of it is the bevel of the nut and slot. Some of it might be non flatness of the slot itself. I’m sure it’s making enough contract somewhere.

If you don’t have nut files and a proper vice, it’s difficult to do it right. Near impossible.

Wildwood609 likes this.
  12. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    If that was one of my guitars I wouldn't worry about it if it plays fine.
    Congrats on the new to you guitar. I'd enjoy it as is, since it's playing fine. You can always change it at a later date if it becomes a problem.

Wildwood609 likes this.
  13. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I'd leave it, and I am nit-picky.

Wildwood609 likes this.
  14. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    You had a bad situation on that one. Looks like the last person to work on that nut used way too much glue. It only takes two tiny drops to hold the nut. Looks like someone used a thick bead. It shouldn't be so hard to get a nut to come off. You were set up brother.

I am incredibly lucky I have a guy that makes bone nuts from blanks. He does not use pre made nuts. He says it is actually easier for him to start from scratch and do it right than try to make a one-size-fits-all work. My limit is, any guitar under $500 I will work on myself. Over $1000 it goes to him. If you find that your new streamliner goes out of tune because of the nut moving under stress, I would go ahead and try it. I did an Epi Les Paul once that worked out OK. I can't tell you how much my guy charges for just a nut, because he just gives me a price for the whole job and I pay it without questioning him. So I also get new frets, a dress, truss rod adjustment, etc, done at the same time. All that would be between $400 and $450.

A correct nut actually has a look of being off, higher at the bass E and lower at the high E. That is because the fatter string needs a deeper cut. To be at he same string height from the first fret than the thinner E, it needs to be taller at the bass end and thinner at the high end. Also the slots need to be progressively wider as well as deeper. Also the neck radius and bridge arc matter when fitting for the consistency at all points of the fretboard. So not all blanks are right for all guitars. So armed with just that much knowledge, you may know more than the guy you hire to do it (Nothing more angering than having an idiot work on your guitar and you have to redo everything when you get it home). You just don't have the tools and experience. But I guess after you do your first one, you would! Just don't use a sea of epoxy to set it. Just two small drops of Elmers. Nuts should be able to be removed again without damaging the headstock.

15. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Ww,

Sorry, from the photos, I'm not seeing an issue, best not to create one by removing/replacing.

Nuts are the root cause of some tuning/buzzing/binding/detuning issues, if you have none of these and the nut is stable, just enjoy your new guitar.

BIB

Wildwood609 likes this.
  16. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Since there are no problems, you probably shouldn't try to create one.

Nut replacement is easy but the accompanying setup does take some skill.

Wildwood609 and radd like this.
  17. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    It was the factory fitted plastic nut on a Chinese Squier Tele.

18. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    How did you try to remove it the first time?

19. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    First time? It was only once. I scored along the sides with a sharp scalpel blade, then tapped it it with a hammer several times. Not budging. Hit it a bit harder, then it came out taking a chunk of wood with it.
    I've used this procedure several times in the past with no mishap.

*As Shock said, must have been too much glue. There was quite a bit of residue glue to clean up
    before putting the Tusq nut in.

20. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Ha ha - yes, I guess I was trying to specifically ask about how you did it when it broke.

I don't get why that happened (yes, glue I'd bet) - I have always tapped the end using a drift punch and haven't had any issues. Now you've got me worried!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.