Aftermarket Case For 5420TG?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by colchar, Oct 7, 2020.

1. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario
    I recently bought a 5420TG (link below) and need a case for it. I used the Sweetwater case finder and have some options from Gator cases. I was wondering if there were any others that people could recommend?

Also, some of the recommendations from Sweetwater are cases for semi-hollows such as the ES-335 so I am wondering if anyone knows if a case designed for those guitars would work for a 5420? If I had the guitar at home I could check the case for my ES-335 but the Gretsch is being set up and I haven't brought it home yet.

Thanks in advance.

S. Rock likes this.
  2. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    BuddyHollywood and Wjensen like this.
  3. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I posted this on the 5120 case thread.
    This is the 2420 Streamliner case.. Only difference from the Electromatic case is hardware is chrome & Gretsch logo is in Silver. It’s about £60 cheaper than the Electromatic case here in the UK.

A 5420, 5120, 5129, 5125 etc will fit, they’re all the same size..
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/gretsch-streamliner-g2420t-case

calebaaron666 and colchar like this.
  4. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario

My local store/chain has that priced almost as high as the case for the 5420, but another local place (kind of a pain in the arse to get to) has it in stock for $40 cheaper so I'll order one through my store and make them price match.

Wjensen, S. Rock and Trash Kidd like this.
  5. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario
    Stupid Sweetwater.

6. goostah

goostah Electromatic

Jun 25, 2017
    HK
    Dreadnought case for me also. But there is some wiggle room though and there's some space between the body and the case bottom so I have a small towel in there to take strain off the neck.

7. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario
    I was speaking to the Assistant Manager at my local store yesterday and he said that he thinks the acoustic case he has ordered will work. Apparently he has put Epiphones with similar body styles in it and it works perfectly. It also has the small wedge to raise the body, because it is designed for shallow body dreadnoughts. It should arrive today or tomorrow so we'll see how it does.

8. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario
  9. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario

Gretsch claims it won't, but I'll listen to you before listening to them trying to get me to buy a more expensive case.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  10. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I’m sure it’ll fit. Same size guitar...

colchar likes this.
  11. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I always search for the best deals I can find.
    The Musician's Gear case I bought was on sale for $50 US. My G5129T fits perfectly, there is less than 1/2" movement in any direction. I'd bet that the $150 cases don't fit any better.
    Right now that case is $80 with a 25% off coupon code, for $60 US.

I don't know what the GC/MF situation is like for you up there or how much shipping would cost but that is a great case for very little money.
    Dreadnought Case A.JPG
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-deluxe-dreadnought-case
    There are also some on Amazon for around the same price.

12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I bought a 2420T case for my 5420T.
    Perfect fit.

colchar and Trash Kidd like this.
  13. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Go deep dish. Hold the anchovies.

14. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    colchar and Cdb1961 like this.
  15. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Country Gent

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
  16. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario
    The acoustic case came in and the guitar fits perfectly. There is no wedge under the body, but a towel will take care of that and will support the body.

Randy99CL and S. Rock like this.
  17. fsdphcorrigan

fsdphcorrigan Gretschie

Aug 30, 2019
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    I have this: https://roadrunnercases.com/rrdwa-wood-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar-case/

colchar likes this.
  18. flip

flip Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    I guess there's a degree of personal preference about the degree to which a case actually fits the instrument. I just bought a 6241FT for my 5420T and the fit is as close and as precise as the case Martin supplied in 2006 with my HD28-V. The instrument actually has to be gently pressed into place in the case. That may not suit everyone. The instrument is held firmly inside the case, has no movement in any direction which is fine for me. Other third party cases allow for more movement of the instrument though of course they still provide substantial protection. The decision point is, I think, whether the way the 6241 holds the instrument is worth up to to double the price.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  19. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

And now there will come @thunder58 stating that for everything to be settled, you only need a...
    :D

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.