After a Week, I finally found some ''Tinker Time''

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Back in Black, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    All,

The new G6131-MY has been sitting, acquainting itself with our Ottawa climate for a week now, so I thought I'd do a set up and tune.

The guitar rocks, nothing else I can say, other than Gretsch knocked the MY-Sig out of the park.

I did a comparison with my ''Salute'' build and the Signature, and found one primary noticeable tone difference:

My build has more ''twang''...if in fact there is such a thing.

The ''build'' has a TVJ Classic Plus PU, The Gretsch Custom Shop ''Salute'' has a TVJ Classic, the Gretsch MY-Sig, has a TVJ Power-Tron.

My build is a chambered solid body, the MY-Sig is a hollow body guitar, top/back/sides, with support blocking. On the build (G5222) the maple top is solid maple, 1/2'' thick at the center PU route, and thins down below the contour crown and outer edges, the contour is carved. The maple top on the MY-Sig is maple capped plywood, 1/8'' thick, with what I'm assuming is a ''steam formed contour'' that does not vary in thickness.

Not sure why the ''twang'' in the build, other than to say, the sum of the parts between the two is different.

Very happy with both, and the unique differences, a rocker, and a rockabilly rocker.

They're certainly both ''keepers''

Best,

BIB.

DSCF1322.JPG

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  3. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Sounds like you hand has healed up. Good news... and beautiful guitars!

Back in Black likes this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    You should really keep both.

Back in Black likes this.
  5. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Glad you're liking the new sig model. They both look great, enjoy them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.