Advice regarding an amp?

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by rgrahn, Mar 2, 2014.

1. rgrahn

rgrahn Electromatic

Feb 14, 2014
    Illinois
    I had problems with the tone and volume pots on the 5620t-CB that i had ordered. So I exchanged it for the 5622t-CB (3 pick-up, double cutaway). No issues with the volume pots nor the tone pot on this one! Got it thru SW and Ikes was great to work with. KS13113930-front-large.jpg

Now can i ask for advice regarding a good amp?...perhaps in the $500-$1,000 range?

I don't "shred." I play 60's, 70's and 80's music and I some modern country/ballad type music. so, things like James Taylor, Beetles, Eric Clapton, Jack Johnson, many of the top modern country hits...those types of songs. This is my first electric guitar after 40 years of playing only acoustic, so i'm going thru that transition too. I've played weddings and in church and am too old to be a professional (nor am I good enough :D). Any advice?

I'm new at this forum/posting thing too so if I've put this in the wrong place or if it is not appropriate to ask for advice, I assume the "moderator" will correct me.

Thanks in advance!

Rick

2. johnnyguitar

johnnyguitar Country Gent

Jul 10, 2009
    Canada
    Hi Rick. There are a ton of great options out there. A low wattage tube amp will bring the most out of your new Gretsch. Ive heard great things of the reissue Fender Princeton to start the ball rolling :)

3. Gregflounder

Gregflounder Electromatic

Jan 5, 2014
    South Carolina USA
    Tube amp for sure, and I would look for something with two channels clean and dirty.

4. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    I'd suggest a Tone King Imperial. They sound phenomenal. The remond be a little of a Blackface Vibrolux.......

It's also got a great attenuator built, so you can get great tones at a lower volume level.

Marlin

5. workknot

workknot Country Gent

Feb 15, 2009
    Brainerd, Minnesota
    Welcome Rick and congrats on the great looking axe with triple pickups. There are a lot of very good tube amps to be had that are in your price range. Don't know how much wattage you are in need of but the new Fender Excelsior Pro does a very good job and is just under $400. I have one and it is a sweet little amp with 15" speaker.
    Pop's

6. Rockabillybob

Rockabillybob Country Gent

Howdy Rick. Sounds like you'd like a good amp, without a lot of bells and whistles. If so, I'd recommend a Fender Blues Jr III. I play a Gretsch 6120DSW through mine and very happy with it. Tube tone, 12 inch speaker and reverb built in. The amp weighs about 31 lbs. I'm also a big fan of the Vox Pathfinder 15R. 15 watts (solid state), but a very un-solid state like tone. They have an 8 inch speaker and built in reverb and tremolo. Very light weight. Vox no longer produces the model, but they can be found used for less than a hundred dollars.

7. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Depending on what you need the amp for, gigging or home use I think the fender pro junior is a great amp very simple layout great sound and less expensive then the blues junior. And it's good enough for Jeff beck

8. NeilSt

NeilSt Country Gent

Oct 26, 2010
    Lynnwood, WA
    Blues Junior is great in that range. Bump it up a little, and try out a Blues Deluxe Reissue...for a little more. Great tube presence with some nice dirt.

9. gigatron

gigatron Country Gent

Oct 9, 2008
    Slovenia
    Vox AC15 for early Beatles sound, Princeton if you want reverb and tremolo (I have one of each and am very satisfied with them both).

10. Rockabillybob

Rockabillybob Country Gent

Yes, I like Pro Jr's too. Clapton used them for certain songs on one tour I know of a few years ago.

11. Chrisedge

Chrisedge Gretschie

Jan 30, 2011
    Cailfornia
    Keep in mind where you will be playing. If its at home, a higher wattage amp, won't be as nice since it can't get cranked. I play at home and my Blues Jr NOS is almost too much at 15 watts. Rarely can I get it to even half way up. With that budget, you could afford a 15 watt amp, and a 1-4 watt amp and have some good options.

12. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    If it's just home use to practice this is a good little amp that is not expensive you can find them on eBay or Craigslist pretty cheep. They are a no frills tube amp with the ability to go from 4-1-1/4 watts image-787367237.jpg image-2227273433.jpg Maybe you bit off more then you can chew with this question :)

13. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Princeton, or Deluxe Reverb is what you need for playing out with a drummer.
    Add some kind of OD / Dist pedal of your choosing a d you're set.

You'll prob want something smaller for at home tho. Mustang 1 is a good practice amp that can nail Fender tones at home practice volume.

Or if your not snobby a about tubes you could just get a Mustang III and save some cash. That will work great for about any situation.

14. T simmons

T simmons Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2013
    California
    Nice little amp,I use to use one awhile back.My brother wanted one so I sold it to him,Kinda regret it.

15. chicago slim

chicago slim Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    Here is my three favorites. They all use two 6V6's, for 10 to 18 watts. Laney Cub 10, Fender SCXD and Vox TB18C1.

[​IMG]

16. WATThouse

WATThouse Synchromatic

Fender Princeton sounds great for all types of gigs and is very easy to haul around.

17. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    The Fender Deluxe Reverb is an all around good amp.
    Pedals work well with this amp.
    The on board reverb & tremolo are great for 60s and 70s rock.
    Just add a delay pedal and a decent over drive pedal and you're ready to rock anywhere.
    Look around and you might find a used one for a decent price.

18. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    Another vote for a Fender Deluxe Reverb. You need a 12" speaker to move some air and at 22 watts is more than enough power to gig with a band. The new Custom Deluxe Reverb silverface is priced right and even more versatile.

19. 54club

54club Synchromatic

Mar 31, 2011
    Kelseyville, CA
    Deluxe Reverb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.