Advice on tube amp

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by DiWiPe, May 19, 2012.

1. DiWiPe

DiWiPe Electromatic

Jan 27, 2011
    Amsterdam
    Yes!

I've been checking out these Dr. Z amps and i'm really interested in them! They look and sound great. I like the Carmen Ghia where you only have the volume and tone knob. I like that simplicity.

2. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    I would recommend to check the Z28 too.

DiWi, I bought a brand new Monza Head on German ebay, about 2 months ago. It was auctioned by Dr. Z dealer in Germany, the start price was €600, the winner price €660. Shipping with DPD only €48. Saved me a lot of money, even with the import tax, compared to any price in Europe.

The guy is very cool, his name is Ron Mehl, his ebay user is ronmacintosh.
    He usualy lists one ot two amps in a month.

Watch the German ebay for Dr. Z, you may be lucky!
    If you want to contact him:

Ron Mehl
    Buchenweg 13
    D-90592 Pfeifferhütte
    Tel: +49 (0) 9183 9505-15
    Fax: +49 (0) 9183 9505-14
    Mobil: +49 (0) 171 5256332
    www.proguitar.de

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  3. DiWiPe

DiWiPe Electromatic

Jan 27, 2011
    Amsterdam

Thanks!

4. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    Sweet! I have a cab and power attenuator coming! It is paid for now and is on its way!

5. EasyEd

EasyEd Gretschie

Feb 17, 2012
    Nanaimo, BC
    hey All,

I did want to follow through a bit.

But but but it's an EL84 - shouldn't sound like a Marshall should it? I'm sure it'll be great for a ProJet rock/rockabilly/surf but when I get a telecaster bought (came this close to buyin an Empress 60th yesterday - if you know teles - but I think it's a bit overpriced and I'm not totally convinced on the tone) I'll be looking for something like for example the Don Rich sound through this amp- Here is a little Wham Bam in case you don't know Don - so sad he died so young.

The Preamp tube no doubt makes a difference. Yeah I am going to go for this amp in order to - as I said before start getting my feet wet in this stuff. How far can you go with tube/speaker swaps? I realize that you may never get a Don Rich sound from a V5 but how do you know without asking/trying?

-Ed-

PS Yeah I admit it the Crystal Palace is as sacred to me as the Ryman for those who know what I'm talking about.

6. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I think that's a bit of a myth. While it's true a many modern day Marshall come with EL34 powertubes, fact is before '66 Marshall never even used EL34s...(KT66, EL84) and up till this day half of the Marshall catalog consists of non-EL34 alternatives(Haze, Class5, Vintage modern etc)

7. ljberbi

ljberbi Electromatic

Oct 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    So many great amp choices out there but I thought I would add that I love the tone of my Fender deluxe reverb reissue with a Gretsch. Great cleans and very pedal friendly. TV Jones classics sound great with a DRRI. Also, I switched out the Jenson C12K with a Jenson C12Q, better match for the DRRI and now that it is broken in it I like it even better. That's my two cents !

8. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I've liked the Empress teles I've played.

Succes with tube/speaker swaps is completely dependent on the amp. In reality, you don't generally want it to make too much difference because you actually want your tone to be easy to repeat from one tube change to the next. Case in point, I once owned a Mesa F50 that sounded fabulous with the stock power tubes. But when it came time to change them out, I could never find a tube that sounded as good - even with Mesa's help and some effort with biasing. The tone I fell in love with was utterly un-repeatable.

As for EL84's not sounding like a Marshall, again, it's all relative. I would actually expect it to be quite easy to get a general Marshally sound from EL84s. The tone stack and output transformer have as much to do with the Marshall tone as the tubes. There was a time when Marshall was shipping a lot of 6L6 amps. There are several Marshall type amps that use EL84, especially the venerable "18 watt lite" that is meant to be a Marshall clone with lower power output.

I'm not saying that there aren't differences between tubes, but I really don't expect tube changes to make one amp sound fundamentally like another. In fact, I have a quad of NOS RCA EL84 tubes that I'm saving for that one day when I find a nice EL84 amp that I want to put them in. Of the three I've owned - Mesa F30, Laney, Mesa Subway Blues - the Laney was the best at pulling out that distinct "EL84 tone".

9. MKunie

MKunie Country Gent

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    I have a Line 6 Flextone III XL and a Vox AD30VT. So far for my Gretsch,, The Vox is sounding very much nicer to my ears! Probably the speaker! Anyway I been noticing Imelda and Darrell running around and he's playing the Line 6 Spider,, The small one,, Sounds great also.. Who knows for real??? But that Vox I have really sounds good to my ears!

10. sligo ray

sligo ray Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2011
    New Zealand
    I don't know if it's mentioned above, but for the stuff you say you like in your OP, I'd suggest trying a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 (which I own and use for all those with a Gretsch), or the new Orange OR15. Could hit the spot for you, and both quite reasonable in price.
    Was a bit stunned you had got a Gretsch 6119 before you bought a tube amp!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.