Advice on tube amp

cybermgk

Synchromatic
Jan 4, 2012
Grayslake, Il
Again, tube types aren't always that great of a factor. They can be if the amp maker has exploited the differences to their limit. On the Rebel 20 - I didn't hear much difference between the two settings.

From rebel owners, you have to dial in the amp a little more than the tube pot. But, your right, that's what makes the Tweaker able to do what it does with 6V6 tubes. The tone stack and pre-amp circuits make a huge difference in the 'sound'. That said, to my ears there is a difference in basic tone of a 6L5 compared to an EL84, to a 6V6 and a EL34. Has to do mostly with when and how they break-up.

Also, to my ears, the classic Vox tone doesn't come from the EL84 power tubes as much as it comes from the EF86 preamp tube. Or at least that's the aspect that stands out to my ears.

Definately in the mix. I know the EF86 in my deLisle makes a large difference in the tone (can dial it out of the pre-amp stage).

6stings

Friend of Fred
Aug 14, 2010
Norway
You guys are good!
I have read hundreds of articles, threads, discussions about tube amps... I don't understand a damn thing.
Not that I have to either.
I get the amp, take it out of the cage, if it smells good inside, I keep it.:D

freddyfingers

Gretschified
Platinum Member
You can get a new one at Street sounds for 1099. It has a nice blues tone too it, but couldn't find a lot of demos with it clean, seems like once it got up past 4 or so, it was breaking up. I will continue to look for more demos.

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
From rebel owners, you have to dial in the amp a little more than the tube pot. But, your right, that's what makes the Tweaker able to do what it does with 6V6 tubes. The tone stack and pre-amp circuits make a huge difference in the 'sound'. That said, to my ears there is a difference in basic tone of a 6L5 compared to an EL84, to a 6V6 and a EL34. Has to do mostly with when and how they break-up.

Definately in the mix. I know the EF86 in my deLisle makes a large difference in the tone (can dial it out of the pre-amp stage).

I do have that same feeling about the differences in tubes and how they break up differently. But if someone doesn't build the amp to make use of that, the difference will never be apparent. And so often, people aren't doing that for one reason or another. Blues Junior is a good example - They're going for the "Fender sound". My Allen Encore with an EL34 just doesn't sound like a typical EL34 / Marshall kind of sound. It still sounds like a Vibrolux.

BarryMClark

Country Gent
Apr 4, 2011
Atlanta
6stings said:
You guys are good!
I have read hundreds of articles, threads, discussions about tube amps... I don't understand a damn thing.
Not that I have to either.
I get the amp, take it out of the cage, if it smells good inside, I keep it.:D

Haha!

EasyEd

Gretschie
Feb 17, 2012
Nanaimo, BC
Hey All,

Amps come in cages? Last one I saw was in a box.

That said why would an amp builder not exploit the differences between tubes? In reality how common is it to not take advantage of the differences?

The preamp tube in addition to the power tube - now that does complicate things...

Right now I'm thinking I'll dip my toes into this stuff a bit and suggest my family get me a Bugera V5 for Father's Day. Inexpensive - about $200 new. I'll be looking to see how it does with my ProJet with Filtertrons and if I can get away with it (meaning past the CFO wife :D) a used MIM Tele that I see hanging in a local shop for <$300. It's becoming really clear to me that I like Tele style country (think Brad Paisley, Don Rich (love that Bakersfield sound!), Kenny Vaughan, etc) too much to not have one.

Anyway anybody have experience with a V5? Is it one to consider tube or speaker swapping on just to learn a bit? If I can figure out where I want to go I've no problem spending say up to a grand or so even a bit more but beyond that my wife would likely be kickin me out the door to a second job to support those kind of expenditures. :rolleyes: I'm liking the idea of a De Lisle if I can ever figure out what to order.

-Ed-

cybermgk

Synchromatic
Jan 4, 2012
Grayslake, Il
Hey All,

Amps come in cages? Last one I saw was in a box.

That said why would an amp builder not exploit the differences between tubes? In reality how common is it to not take advantage of the differences?

The preamp tube in addition to the power tube - now that does complicate things...

Right now I'm thinking I'll dip my toes into this stuff a bit and suggest my family get me a Bugera V5 for Father's Day. Inexpensive - about $200 new. I'll be looking to see how it does with my ProJet with Filtertrons and if I can get away with it (meaning past the CFO wife :D) a used MIM Tele that I see hanging in a local shop for <$300. It's becoming really clear to me that I like Tele style country (think Brad Paisley, Don Rich (love that Bakersfield sound!), Kenny Vaughan, etc) too much to not have one.

Anyway anybody have experience with a V5? Is it one to consider tube or speaker swapping on just to learn a bit? If I can figure out where I want to go I've no problem spending say up to a grand or so even a bit more but beyond that my wife would likely be kickin me out the door to a second job to support those kind of expenditures. :rolleyes: I'm liking the idea of a De Lisle if I can ever figure out what to order.

-Ed-

Have a Bugie V5. The bad: 8 " speaker holds it back. Stock tubes make it a little on the muddy side. Many find it dark (see tube swaps later for brightening it up). Headphone jack is so-so sounding. The Good: Swapping out the preamp tube makes a HUGE difference. I found that both JJ and EH 12AX7 work in this amp very well. Output tube swap helps, but it's fairly minor. I liked JJ preamp, EH power the best, but JJs all around worked well. Tung Sol was better than stock, but didn't work so well as JJ and EH. Nice percussive sound from this amp. Ran through a 12", after tube swap and this amo sounds very good. Definate Marshall tone. Stock speaker works well in the amp. Currently trying a Weber in it, jury is still out. The .1w setting is great for bedroom crunch and distortion. Reverb is pretty good actually, as long as you don't go for extreme lush verb. Takes pedals well BUT I have to dial some in differently than when used on my other amps for the same tone.

Overall, for the price, this is one heck of a little amp. Needs tube swap at a minimum. Sounds good after, specially through a 1x12 or 2x12 (and yes it can drive one). Does make a great, light/mobile room to room and silent practice amp.

Last edited:

GentleBen

Country Gent
Jul 29, 2008
Huntsville, Al
I have a USA Blues Deluxe that I bought used and have been gigging with it for fifteen years with no problems from the pc board. It really nails that "Fender" sound although I must admit that ifI could swap it for a BDRI I would without hesitation.

Bob M

Former Member
Mar 18, 2010
Somewhere North of Boston
I tried those Egnater models and left very underwhelmed. Maybe because i don't really play rock anymore. Maybe they are voiced more to the ear of a modern rock player. Plenty of folks dig them. Just not me. Hey, there are people that think Marshalls sound terrible, too. So... take that for what it is worth. ...which is nothing. haha.

I had a Rebel and was also underwhelmed. There were issues with crackling pots and the difference between one set of tubes and the other was simply not that distinctive. Currently with a blackface champ. Good sound, not enough juice. Still looking.

DiWiPe

Electromatic
Jan 27, 2011
Amsterdam
Ultimately, the OP needs to play as many different amps as he can and find which sings to him. A good amp is no small purchase.

Yes and this I will do.

The thing is I have a Gretsch G6119 with Hilo's. I was thinking of trying some amps tomorrow but they never have this guitar at the guitarshops I come and it wouldn't be the same to try out amps at a guitarshop with some stratocaster when I have a G6119, right?

cybermgk

Synchromatic
Jan 4, 2012
Grayslake, Il
Yes and this I will do.

The thing is I have a Gretsch G6119 with Hilo's. I was thinking of trying some amps tomorrow but they never have this guitar at the guitarshops I come and it wouldn't be the same to try out amps at a guitarshop with some stratocaster when I have a G6119, right?

Most Mom and Pops will let you use your guitar (specially if they know your a serious buyer). Heck, even the chain stores here will, most of the time. That's the case here. Don't see why it wouldn't be there. Plus, would you want to do business with a place that wouldn't let you?

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
I have a USA Blues Deluxe that I bought used and have been gigging with it for fifteen years with no problems from the pc board. It really nails that "Fender" sound although I must admit that ifI could swap it for a BDRI I would without hesitation.

Even though the Blues Deluxes are PCB based, they are simple enough to work on if you need to. I've seen quite a few pros tour with them and they seem to hold up very well. I can't recommend these enough.

WATThouse

Synchromatic
Jun 27, 2011
Blowing Rock, NC Mountains
maz_18_jr.jpg

Don't know how low ya want ta go, price or wattage, but the Dr Z. Maz 18 is my all-time favorite for Gretsch or Tele or Les Paul....

Gallup_n_Johnny

Electromatic
May 22, 2012
Toronto
If you are looking for a cheaper, reliable, readily available amp who has dealers around the world, will be easier to get fixed under warranty etc, I'd have to reccomend a small to med sized Fender amp. Seeing as you said you like playing everything from twangy mid 60's style music like the Beatles up to things like Led Zepplin, you probably couldn't go wrong with either a Fender Blues Jr. (about $500 here in Canada, on the low end, about 13 watts, tube powered) up to a Fender Deluxe Reverb (approx $999 here in Canada, about 22 watts and still be able to crank it up to get the thing to start breaking up, without making eveyones ears bleed lol). The blues Jr. has a channel volume, as well as a master volume, and a "fat" switch which you can get some pretty nasty, chicago blues inspired tones and beyond. The Deluxe Reverb, well, most every band has or does use these amps since the 50's so, you can't really go wrong with an all around versitile amp like that in my opinion. I use a Gretsch (Victoria Amps) Executive (about 20 watts) but I go for a more clean, twangy tone for Rockabilly and jump blues, blues etc. But i do have a Fender Blues Jr, and I find it great for everything from clean rockabilly tones, to nasty rockabilly tones, to straigh up in your face nasty Chicago and Texas style blues. If you're looking for relatively cheap, reliable, fully backed with warranty type of amps, Fender is a good bet i'd say.

Good luck in your quest!

Cheers!

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
If you are looking for a cheaper, reliable, readily available amp who has dealers around the world, will be easier to get fixed under warranty etc, I'd have to reccomend a small to med sized Fender

Yes - very true. I see Hot Rod Deluxe's go for $400 used around here all the time. Used Blues Juniors go for $300 used. The latest Blues Juniors (Series III) are really nice - I think they started making them in 2009? Someone could look that up.

BarryMClark

Country Gent
Apr 4, 2011
Atlanta
WATThouse said:
Don't know how low ya want ta go, price or wattage, but the Dr Z. Maz 18 is my all-time favorite for Gretsch or Tele or Les Paul....

In same....sorta. I have a Z-Best coming then after that I am saving for a Route 66. :)