Advice On Audio Interface

LeSainte

Gretschie
Oct 4, 2021
New York
First, I apologize. I don't rightfully know where this post belongs... So I'll just put it here.

Background:

I currently record with a NI Komplete Audio 2 with Reaper on Windows. I am by all means an amateur to recording (But not to technology). I love my current setup.

What I want to do:

Currently, I am looking for another budget USB interface that will be able to handle several unbalanced stereo (And some mono) inputs and outputs, all individually.

I have multiple pieces of analogue equipment (Tape decks and the like) that I would like to be able to record onto and play back from... So just something with some RCA ins and outs.

Like I mentioned, I'm looking for something budget, I'm very happy with the Komplete Audio 2, so whatever tier that is considered is fine.

I don't need a crazy amount of inputs, probably somewhere around 5 ins and outs would suffice.

I would like to keep things simple. This will be used exclusive with line level sources. I'd prefer to not have any pre-amps or onboard effects. I just want a neat solution for sending audio from a computer to multiple pieces of equipment (One at a time) and be able to send the output from my equipment to my computer.

All line level RCA equipment. Unbalanced stereo. We're talking consumer stereo equipment for the most part.

Rack-mount or desktop is fine.

Bonus:

I'm also in need of some advice on re-amp boxes.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Chet Harrison

Gretschie
Apr 27, 2020
USA
If you don’t need mic preamps or hi-z inputs and if you’re not recording separate tracks all at once, you can just get a line mixer and run it into your existing interface.

I recently bought an ART MX622. Three mono inputs and three stereo inputs. Also has an effects loop, which is cool. Under $200.

For reamp boxes, I would look at Radial. They also make a nice monitor controller. I use one to switch between two sets of monitors and a subwoofer.

LeSainte

Gretschie
Oct 4, 2021
New York
i have the focusrite scarlett and i like it

I've heard good things, but Focusrite doesn't seem to have anything in their lineup that does what I want.

Maybe no-one makes what I want. I didn't think it's that complicated. I want 5+ unblanced stereo line-level inputs to go into my computer. Only controls I need are gain.

LeSainte

Gretschie
Oct 4, 2021
New York
5+ stereo is probably going to mean 10+ mono and you'll have to pair them in your DAW. Nothing in that range is going to qualify for "budget" unless there's an unknown brand out there that the big retailers don't carry.

Yes, it's looking like I'll have to end getting a a standard affair and pairing the mono inputs together in software.

I'm a little concerned that there may be syncing issues or what-have-you though.

Chet Harrison

Gretschie
Apr 27, 2020
USA
Looking at Sweetwater, I don't see a budget USB mixer with more than four stereo line inputs. Can two devices be put on a separate A/B switcher?

LeSainte

Gretschie
Oct 4, 2021
New York
It is absolutely an option. I will never be using more than one device at a time.

I'm just not really away of a user friendly and neat option. I really only need one stereo out and one stereo in if I was using a switch.

Does anyone know of a good rackmount switch that can switch between 5+ stereo sources?

Chet Harrison

Gretschie
Apr 27, 2020
USA
You could just get something like this:

Screen-Shot-2022-01-26-at-11-22-52-AM.png

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Check out the zoom L12. This allows each track to be recorded separately on the device so you can remix later. With so many channels I would want the ability to change the levels after the fact, even for a live situation.

It may not be what you're looking for as it's not a rack and not that budget. We've been considering getting one.

Latest posts