Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Advice on a Speaker for a Super Champ X2

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Anakin2Solo, May 30, 2012.

1. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I have the XD and an X2 head. I replaced the XD with a Jensen C10Q and it really didn't change the sound that much so back in with the stock speaker. I also bought the Kustom cab for $85 and replaced the speaker with a Jensen Mod 12-50. That was an improvement and a keeper. I run my X2 through a Blackstar 2x12 cab that has Celestion 70-80's which are still not broken in and it sounds good.

I guess what I am saying is I wouldn't change out the speaker on the XD unless you go up to a 15" like Wayne. Then you will see some huge differences.

2. cqscqs

cqscqs Gretschie

Dec 8, 2013
    midwest
    Celestion Gold

I was thinking about going for the Celestion Gold, very close to reeling it in, when I read the below on the Musician's Friend website. Has anyone else had trouble fitting speakers into the SuperChamp? (post below paste in)
    Note: When installing these speakers in a Super Champ be aware that the protective power tube "cage" that is firmly attached to the upper rear valance panel will rub against the G10's speaker frame. This problem is probably unique to the Super Champ. I raised the valance panel up approximately 1/4" giving a bit of clearance between tube cage and speaker frame as well as maintaining proper clearance between the top of the power tube and the bottom of the cage.

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. Beatlecharles

Beatlecharles Electromatic

Jul 4, 2017
    Derbyshire UK
    I know it's an old tread but I have the chance to buy. 2nd hand Fender sc xd is it good with a Gretsch guitar ?

5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Answered in your other thread.

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    A great alnico speaker. It is very similar (to my ears) to The Celestion Blue alnico.

I had to remove the bell cover, and relocate the transformer an inch or two, to make it fit into a VOX AC4C1-BL, but it was worth it.

upload_2017-7-16_14-24-21.jpeg

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If it matters to you, new Jensens are made in Italy. Webers are made in Kokomo Indiana. You can contact Weber directly. For me, it's a half an hour down the road.

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    This speaker is rather a good rock speaker, powerful with efficiency - I have one to say that.

A+!

9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    My favourite speaker but not exactly the cheapest option...

10. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    How about a nice, Jensen alnico like the P10R?

upload_2017-7-17_11-22-56.jpeg

11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I find them ear-piercing, too mid-scooped and bass-less. If your amp was an old 40's Valco, McKinney, Dickerson, mid-y and bass-y, it would have been the perfect match, conversely.

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 4:21 PM
  12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    OK but remember, once they are past the initial break-in they're nice. The same holds true for Celestion alnicos like the gold, blue and cream which tend to sound harsh, fresh out of the box.

13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Not really - at least for me, despite these speakers meets success...

I had several RI Jensen P10R and Q, still keep a P12R and C12Q (what for ? I wonder). Even when broken-in (on an amp, on pink noise, on a low frequency wobbler, with enough power for correct cone displacement), they still maintained their trebly-scoopy-bassless character afterwards, just becoming a bit flabby on the pick attacks.

I find them somewhat deceiving according to my taste - except maybe the P12N...

But OK, again, it's me ! :D

A+!

14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I played through some Jensen alnico P10Rs in a reissue '59 Bassman. I guess it was couples with some nice tubes because it sounded glorious. Very rich and vintage sounding, to my ears.