Advice needed on Filtertrons

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by Gazmac, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I understand about the Blacktops. Side by side with the TV Classics in my Falcon they aren't in the same league. They did, however give a Gretschier tone to the 5120. But I lost some nice smoky Gibson-like tones in the process. The Classics are just so much fuller in range and dynamics vs the Blacktops.
    I've played the hollow body Streamliners & the stock pickups aint bad, just leaning more PAF/ Gibson in character.
    They are better than the old Gretchbuckers in my 5120 IMO, which I actually liked as far as their tone, they are just not very Gretsch. Now that I have the Falcon with the TVs I may switch the 5120 back to the old "mud buckers".
    I'd just save up if I was you.

BTW,
    Welcome!

2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    except now you will have to extract the wax potting of any filtertron.. unless you just buy Ray Butts, which are worth every penny saved. :)

3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    except now you will have to extract the wax potting of any filtertron.. unless you just buy Ray Butts, which are worth every penny saved. :)

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Are you trying to stir things up, Tavo? Well, you quoted me twice, so you really got my attention.

Ohh geez; removing the wax is minor and the OP is on a budget and may be satisfied with using my suggestion. Some people want a decent Filtertron sound now, to be inspired when they play.

How could you do this to me? I delivered your kids, showed you how to play guitar and to mambo. And gave you some great, gluten-free recipes. ;)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    LA Miles and Gazmac like this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Roswell is a PU brand. WSC a manufacturer. Are you saying they have moved production to another factory?

6. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Welcome. IMHO I would look for a set of HS Filtertron’s if you’re looking for THE Gretsch sound.

new6659 and ZackyDog like this.
  7. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi Pine apple slim I agree with what you say about the black tops they are not the worst pickups but they are very humbuckery lol so I've came to the decision i need to sets of pickups anyway so im gonna go with the Gretsch HS filtertrons & im looking at the GF trons or Roswell's for the second set the info on the Roswells is not very clear as in spec i dont think its a alnico bar in them more like alnico poles which is the wrong magnets from what i can gather for a filtertron/fidelatron or am i wrong with this cheers

8. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi Tv im not gonna remove wax and all that lol although i know the originals were not wax potted lol

9. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi Robbie thanks for the welcome I am looking at the HS filtertrons at the moment as they are not much more expensive than the Roswells i did hear that the license on filtertrons was finished so anyone can make them now but whether thats true or not obviously TVjones are the best but i just cant justify spending that on p/ups tbh

10. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi Back in Black thanks for the heads up but i'm afraid i just cant justify that amount on p/ups wiring looms etc all i'm trying to do is get as close to that gretsch sound as possible without the hefty price tag

11. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I would agree that if you can't go with TV Jones pickups right now, but you still want to make the mod asap, then look for used Gretsch High Sensitive Filtertrons. It will definitely take you where you want to go, and it's your best mid-priced option.

I have Blacktop Filtertrons in a 5420, and H.S. Filtertrons in a 6119 Tennessee Rose. Both pickups are good, but the Blacktop gives a bit of aggression to the Great sound, while the H. S. Filtertron does not. For the H. S., the overdriven sound comes from the amp settings.

12. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland

Hi Living the Dream i know exactly what you mean with the Blacktops as i have them in my Pro Jet and they are not bad pickups i agree also that the HS Filtertron is the best option does anyone know if gretsch make the HS filtertron in their factory or are they out sourced cheers

13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Welcome, Gazmac.
    Before you invest any dollar in new pickups you should be clear what you want. What exactly is "that great Gretsch sound" to your ears? If it is e.g. the Duane Eddy tone you should look for Dynas and not for Filtertrons. If it`s a big crunch-tone like Malcolm Young`s any Filtertron model will get you in this direction as soon as you plug the guitar in a mildly overdriven Marshall.
    Filtertrons in general are very similar in their fundermental tone-structure. There are nuances that make the a big difference for gourmets but generally all Filtertrons are in "their" field like PAFs or Telecaster pus are in their`s.
    A lot of the "great Gretsch tone" comes from the interplay of a Gretsch guitar and a given amp.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    new6659, ZackyDog and heinzman like this.
  14. StillHollow

StillHollow Electromatic

Dec 9, 2020
    Virginia
    Gazmac likes this.
  15. heinzman

heinzman Gretschie

Before throwing them out... do Experiments !
    I played a long time with Gretschbuckers with this " 3up, 3 down " thing. So they emulate SingleCoils and that sounds not bad at all !!!

loudnlousy and Gazmac like this.
  16. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi loud i already have a guitar with De-armonds and its sounds great it also covers anything Duane eddy lol cheers

loudnlousy likes this.
  17. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi Hienzman i have experimented with the pole screws and got them to sound not bad a lot better actually but will try the 3 up 3 down trick and see cheers

18. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Country Gent

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    They are one and the same. In the company's own words, "Roswell Pickups is a new pickup brand launched in 2014. Roswell is a new name of WSC Pickups, which was known as the main product of WSC over 20 years. We take a step forward to move the brand upmarket and continue to share the tones with our global guitar brands."

Gazmac and Ricochet like this.
  19. jml77

jml77 Electromatic

Hi Gazmac, as far as the Roswell filtertrons go, they seem to have a typical filtertron build. I have bought a set of FLT-2 (english mount style) hot , slightly overwound pickups from dv247. I haven't put them into my g2622t yet but by inspection they look like a good copy of a gretsch filter. The only deviance might be that they look as if they have 3.2 mm thick alnico bar magnet rather than the 5mm thick bars in the true filter. I'm not 100% sure but as far as i can tell by squinting through the baseplate.
    There maybe be other slight variations, ie pole screw size, but they do seem to be in the same ballpark.

According to Roswell (wsc) they are 4.5k DCResistance neck, and 6.5k bridge DCR, and that appears to be correct. The non-hot are 4k and 4.5k. They are supposed to be Alnico II magnets , and do look like alnico, ie shiny metallic in colour and not dark grey like ceramic. I think they are most likely alnico II, they have quite a weak pull, but that's a guestimate from using a spring balance to measure the pull. At some point I'll measure the inductance and unloaded resonant frequency, but that's less important to me than how they actually perform when fitted.

I have Roswell pickups in 2 other guitars, an LVS II humbucker bridge which I put into an EPi Les Paul studio. I'm happy with that one.
    And I have a set of Roswell P90s in a Harley Benton Te-90QM tele style semi-hollow, which were advertised as Alnico 5 but turned out to be ceramic. I swapped the mags for alnico II, and there wasn't a great deal of difference in tone, slightly lower output, but they're really hot winds so maybe that's the reason for little change. But a change for the better, at least I tell myself so. I was just slightly peeved at the deception.

Edit: Correction bridge flt-2 hot is 6.3 kohms.
    A quick rough and ready inductance reading for FLT-2 Hot Neck=2.2H Bridge=3.2H both +/- 10% at best.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  20. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi jml77

This is the kind of info i was looking for ..... As i wasn't sure what to go for thomann do gretsch filtertrons at a great price but don't want to be buying the gretsch one's if the roswell 's will do the same job if you get my drift some sound samples would be great

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.