Advice needed on Filtertrons

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by Gazmac, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi guys i have become a member here and the gretsch family . I have a streamliner 2429T and also a pro jet and although they sound great as is i just don't think im getting that great gretsch sound ......

So i'm looking at upgrading both guitars but i'm going to start with the streamliner first so i'm looking at replacing the pickups now i know TV jones classics are probably the best but they are out of my price range and if you take into account the price of the guitar resale value (although there both keepers) i'm looking for a kind of mid price way to go .

So with that in mind im looking for recommendations or if anyone has used or thoughts on the Gretsch filtertrons or i have the chance of a set of Roswell filtertrons in alnico 2 or alnico 5 magnets any help would be appreciated as im normally a strat guy ive got pics of the Roswell pickups

Attached Files:

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Gazmac!
    welcome mat loch ness.jpg

Gazmac likes this.
  3. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Thanks

audept likes this.
  4. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Country Gent

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Roswells (formerly WSC) -- now supplied as stock on all new Harley Bentons -- are probably the same "Fidelitron" pickups Fender mounts in its Cabronita models (have a look at https://www.importgenius.com/suppliers/woosung-chorus-industries) and at half the price of Gretsch HS Filters (which themselves are more affordable than the TVs), not at all a bad mid price way to go. That said, if you're headed in the direction of economy, you might as well try Gretsch Blacktop Filters, which sound nice in Pro Jets and are always available pretty cheap in the used marketplace.

Welcome and good luck in your search!

Gazmac likes this.
  5. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi Lacking Talent Thanks for the warm welcome . I didn't know Roswell used to be Wsc I've heard good things about the Roswell's tbh but i'm not sure what the difference is between a Filtertron & a Fidelitron pickup lol . I have the Blacktop Filters in my Pro jet and they sound good even better if you adjust the pole pieces i just think the sound could be better its a case of trying to get the gretsch look & sound on a budget lol which is a tall order but thought the Roswell's might be a good option if not i will go for the gretsch Filtertrons but i do know for a fact that certain guitar companies use after market pickups branded as their own lol

6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hi Gazmac, nice to have you here. Filtertrons and Fidelitrons are both filtertron types, along with several other types like the TV Jones offerings.

Filtertrons, specifically called the HS Filtertrons, these are Gretsch's standard pickups. They have terrific sound and I use several different guitars with them installed. I have Fidelitrons in my Cabronita and really like them. They have a really good jangle to them and are very clear. I have a few guitars with TV Jones Filtertrons and they are excellent too. The TVJs are a high-end pickup with even clearer sound than the HS Filtertron.

All three are good just a little different from each other.

Gazmac likes this.
  7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    You're on a budget and seeking the classic/vintage/50s/60s Great Gretsch Sound? The HS Filtertrons are very good. I would use two neck HS Filtertrons in the neck and bridge positions (see my signature block).

Welcome :)

StillHollow and Robbie like this.
  8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    if youre a strat guy then alnico V is your friend. You can get stock post 2004 filters for about $50 each.

Gazmac likes this.
  9. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Gazmac!

10. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    <I put Blacktop Filtertrons in my 5120. Not the best but they have the Gretsch Twang & sound esp good with some OD or Dist. IMO. They're cheap and readily available.
    For a little more, I'd go HS Filtertrons. I got a used set for around $100, but I haven't installed them in anything yet.
    But if you want TV Classics (and they are the best Great Gretsch Sound IMO) then go ahead and spend the money. You can always go back to the originals if you sell the guitar. Then sell the TVJs or put them in another guitar. You won't loose much.
    I have an old Pro Jet I paid $300 for and put $300 T-Armonds in it. I love it, but if I got rid of the guitar it would go back to stock and Id sell the T Armonds separately.

11. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi Tony thanks for the heads up as i thought they might have been different i've been doing some homework today lol i think i'm more confused than i was at the start lol Obviously price is the main culprit i see that Roswell supply other manufacturers so i dont wanna be paying over the odds for a set if they are roswell's

Tony65x55 likes this.
  12. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi zacky dog thanks for the welcome why 2 neck pickups and your signature block do you have a link cheers

13. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi JC Higgy thanks for the warm welcome cheers

JC higgy likes this.
  14. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi Pine apple slim i get what you mean about changing back to the original pickups i understand that the TV jones are the best but they are way out my price range at the moment....... I have a pro jet with the black tops and they are nice pickups and if you adjust the height screws on the p/up they sound even better but still lacking .......

15. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi TV I don't necessarily want a strat sound just the gretsch sound lol I can get a set of alnico v Roswell pickups for just under £60 whats putting me off is if its a alnico v Bar magnet or standard pole magnets lol

16. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    By post 2004 filters do you mean ceramic magnet ones?

Gazmac likes this.
  17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Part of getting The Great GRETSCH 50s/60s sound is to use two, low output Filtertrons (~4.0k ohms each) that are the same output and standard string spacing, with alnico V magnets, sans wax potting. Two (2) neck HS Filtertrons or two (2) neck TV Jones Classics pickups work nicely. Ya' know, in the old days, there wasn't a "neck" and a "bridge" pickup.

Gazmac likes this.
  18. Gazmac

Gazmac Electromatic

Jan 12, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi Zack thanks for the heads up will order 2 necks when i decide what im going for cheers

ZackyDog likes this.
  19. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Hi GM,

Welcome!

My best advice is to save your money until you can afford TV Jones products.

In combination with their premium harnesses, you'll be miles ahead in the end...and...

If your modification are performed correctly, if there should ever be a time when you want to sell, your TVJ mods may end up paying dividends.

Plus, with TVJ products, all the proper attachment hardware comes included with the PU, along with complete set-up instructions, not to mention the best tech support on the planet.

The only thing I know about Roswell, has to do with a possible alien landing many many years ago.

Best,

BIB.

DSCF1307.JPG

StillHollow likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.