Advice for Amp

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I don't know what you can get over there but I'd check out the Fender GTX100, GTX50 and LT50. They are 100 or 50 watt SS modeling amps with 12" speakers and tons of amps and effects already programmed in.
All lightweight, plenty of great voices already there and not very expensive.

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
If you don’t mind mixing the amp the 5 watt Nocturne BabyBlondeshell is darn good Fender. The Winfield Typhoon also 5 watts is also really good, but for the best of both worlds Vox and Fender check out the Winfield Dust Devil!

oneforsorrow

Country Gent
May 15, 2020
Iowa
Another vote for Quilter here. Had one and loved it! Had to sell it to fund something I wanted more. I had the MicroPro 12 and toured with it for 2 years. Fantastic clean sounds! FX loop, decent onboard reverb and tremolo, balanced line out, a couple of useable boost options, and super compact. Rock solid reliable too. A no brainer grab and go amp that covers a lot of territory. Always got compliments on the sound.

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Double Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Tappan N.Y.
I have a Roland JC-40 . Clean clean clean .... and the headphone jack makes for a happy marriage

oneforsorrow

Country Gent
May 15, 2020
Iowa
Writing my reply last night got me curious as to what Quilter was up to these days. It looks like my old amp, the MicroPro Mach 2 is now the Aviator Mach 3 with a much improved layout. In the old version, there was no foot switchable option to change amp models and I always thought that was a missed opportunity. The new version gives you 2 complete channels of the entire palette. This demo has a pretty good assortment of clean sounds amongst the more overdriven stuff. There's also a very well thought out attenuation built into this new version. With the Mach 2 that I owned, I was able to easily dial in what I needed for different venues and home use but it looks like the new version improved in that regard as well. The new version also has 2 cab sims built in for direct use. And it looks like the price stayed the same with all these improvements. A strong recommend from me on this one.

Londoner

Gretschie
Dec 18, 2020
UK
I too have a Fender Blues deluxe which has been my main gigging amp for the last 10 years or so.
Recently bought a Blackstar ID core v3 10 watt just for home practise. I can get it to sound pretty close to the Fender.
I doubt 10watts would suffice for gigs, but I understand they do 20 and 40 watt versions too.
Worth looking into.

Lockupyourfatdog

Country Gent
Aug 8, 2016
Everett wa
Sounds like a tone master would be a great solution for you. I had the twin reverb. Wonderful clean tone and only 30 pounds. If I buy another it would be the deluxe reverb though. Great little amp

Maguchi

Gretschie
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland
Hello everyone, I would like to ask for advice on choosing an amplifier. I play rockabilly in a drumless trio and I currently have a fender blues deluxe with a gretsch electromatic G5128 (DeaArmond 2000s pickups) ! I love the clean sound of the Blues Deluxe but it's damn heavy and also it could be too loud in small gigs. Can anyone recommend a light weight amp but with a great clean tone? I am open to both tube and solidstate solutions. Thank you in advance!

The Blues Deluxe is a great amp for a modern amp, but , yeah, real loud to get it in the zone.

I would get a Deluxe Reverb. I've been playing one for 40 years in 4-5 piece bands and while I have other amps, it's just right.
Get a good speaker for it. A Weber 12F150 or an Emi GA SC64.

On the cheap, one of those older Peavey Delta Blues amps with the 15" speaker might be good for Rockabilly. (~$400)
They do occassionally have issues like many more modern amps.
^^^Yeah Deluxe Reverb or even Tweed Reverb. Tweeds are more known for dirty tones, but they have great cleans too.

Ditto on the Peavey Delta Blues! Although not lightweight at 49 lbs., it's worth the weight as it delivers the goods in spades and has great tremelo and reverb.

Fndr57Dlx.jpg PVDeltaBlue.jpg

mmannaxx

Electromatic
May 16, 2011
Ohio
You might also check out some of the new Supro amps. They might do the trick for you as well. Not sure how heavy they are but I have heard a couple that sound pretty good.

deuceblues

Electromatic
Feb 23, 2017
Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I would like to ask for advice on choosing an amplifier. I play rockabilly in a drumless trio and I currently have a fender blues deluxe with a gretsch electromatic G5128 (DeaArmond 2000s pickups) ! I love the clean sound of the Blues Deluxe but it's damn heavy and also it could be too loud in small gigs. Can anyone recommend a light weight amp but with a great clean tone? I am open to both tube and solidstate solutions. Thank you in advance!

deuceblues

Electromatic
Feb 23, 2017
Los Angeles
file:///C:/Users/sopas/Downloads/Adjustable%20Folding%20Weight%20Bench%20Lifting%20Flat%20Incline%20Bench%20for%20Full-Body%20Workout%20_%20eBay.html

I've been playing guitar for 54 years. My advice to you is suck it up and buy a dolly or learn to play the flute. There's NO magic bullet involved! Great Rockabilly tone comes from 12" speakers. You want to sound like Brian Setzer onstage or Brian Setzer through your headphones? If your playing live you need the right speakers.

Last edited: