Adjusto Matic thumbscrews stuck and don't move

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by old_internal, May 7, 2021.

1. old_internal

old_internal Electromatic

Mar 28, 2021
    Tehran
    Hey everyone,
    Today I was practicing and notice some fret buzz so I measured the action and noticed base side is a bit low so I loose the string and tried to turn the thumbscrews but it didn't move at all.
    Is there any trick to some how turn them?
    BTW I have G5220 guitar

Back in Black likes this.
  2. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    try a drop of linseed oil

old_internal likes this.
  3. old_internal

Mar 28, 2021
    Tehran
    Do you think WD-40 is bad for this?
    Cause I have it right now

4. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I has that issue where turning the thumb wheel turned the whole pole. I gently used two plyers and got it loose.

5. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Please DO NOT use linseed oil, that is terrible advice. Linseed oil is a drying oil, meaning it will ultimately cure/polymerize. At that point your thumb screws could be almost completely frozen, and along the way there you'll get nice sticky, gooey oil that's stinky and messy. Linseed oil is a finish frequently used in wood work.

Best bet is a thin penetrating oil like TriFlow, but if you don't have that, a little drop of WD40 should work fine. I would clean it off afterward though, stuff is more solvent than oil. Make sure strings are loosened when you adjust them, it makes everything easier and reduces stress and binding of the post threads.

6. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    You're fighting the downward pressure of the strings which makes the bridge hard to raise. You likely don't need any sort of lubricant, just loosen strings. Try that first, if it doesn't work, report back here.

-m

old_internal and MotorCentaur like this.
  7. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    It'd work, but, I don't like solvents around guitar finishes, no matter how careful.

old_internal likes this.
  8. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

The tops of the posts should have slots for a flat head screwdriver. Use the screwdriver to turn the posts. Works great on mine.

9. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Screwdriver

old_internal likes this.
  10. old_internal

Mar 28, 2021
    Tehran
    Thanks
    As I said in the first post I loosen all my string before I tried to turn them.
    I was actually carious if that screw do the same, I thought it was just there to keep the bridge in place and not for changing action

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    WD stands for Water Displacement. It's not a lubricant.
    Try loosening the strings, use a screwdriver on the slots in the post, then retune.
    If you need oil, 3 In 1 or any light machine oil will do.

old_internal, Londoner and thunder58 like this.
  12. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    Agree. Screwdriver in the top slots. No need to loosen the strings either.

old_internal and new6659 like this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I always thought that the post is supposed to be skrewed in its fixed position with the skrewdriver. When it is done, the post should not neccessarily been turned again. The height of the bridge is supposed to be dialed-in with the thumbwheels only.
    The only reason to stick a skrewdriver into the slot should be when the thumbwheel is frozen so you can prevent the post itself from turning when you manipulate the thumbwheel.

old_internal likes this.
  14. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Worked pretty well on some old sticky tuners on my Encore. Just a dab w/ a qtip, smooth as silk.

old_internal likes this.
  15. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    oi,

First of all, I wouldn't use any oil, or anything that has the word penetrating in it.

Oils/oils containing solvents, may permanently stain finish, dissolve glues, and cause delamination.

Likely perspiration salt, a few drops of water should dissolve the salt and loosen the wheel.

Take the strings off, remove the bridge, better access, allowing a better grip will make a big difference.

BIB.

old_internal likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.