Acoustic panels

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by gtttrrr, Jan 24, 2021.

1. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Hey team, thinking about acoustic treatments in my concrete wall basement. Thinking of building some frames out of 1x2 and having my artistically inclined daughter paint some cool stuff on them. Anybody got any suggestions on what to but behind them, other than fiberglass insulation?

2. Defib Tim

Defib Tim Electromatic

Dec 3, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    Hey Brian, I did the same in an old bedroom that had terrible slapback with my son's 4 piece band. I put panels on the walls with rockwool in them & fabric covers - I wouldn't recommend using rockwool from a health point of view - Tontine & other companies do a synthetic noise reducing batt that you can get at hardwares which works almost as well and has no health risks that the fibreglass & rockwool have. If you're painting the front, I think it needs to be a bit breathable to get the benefit of the attenuation across all the frequencies.

The other thing I did was build bass blockers into the corners - triangular columns of rockwool about a foot wide, with foil & fabric covering them. Its worked really well for 10 years & my son does a lot of high quality recording in there now. Let me know if you want more details on any of this or if you've already got the design covered.

I'm no sound engineer & this is pretty basic, but its worked quite well. I'm sure there are better experts on this forum that can offer more advice.

Cheers, Tim

3. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    2" Owens-Corning 703 fiberglass board is the industry standard for sound absorption. A 6 pack of 2' x 4' panels runs about $70 - $80. You'll need to wrap fabric around them to keep fiberglass particles out of your skin & lungs.

Pine Apple Slim, gtttrrr and audept like this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'd suggest going to 1X4"s instead, and use standard fiber glass batts. You might try to find fiber fill instead. Our main theater (6,000 seats) had a real problem with slap back. Diffusers (3/8 round 2, 3, &4' widths) helped. As it was built in the late '30s, there was asbestos panels , tho they were encapsulated. For absorption, there are perf board panels with fiber glass behind them. Make sure the floor is carpeted, and consider heavy velour curtains on some of the walls. An irregular shaped room might help as well. There are three basic types of surfaces---reflective, absorptive, and dispersive. A mixture of all three is what you want, tho finding a happy balance is the hard part.

gtttrrr likes this.
  5. Scott Fraser

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    R21 rolls would fit inside 1x4s, but as they are much less dense than 703, they will absorb mostly just higher frequencies. It works, but 703 gives a better balance of absorption across a wider frequency range.
    Definitely a blend of reflection, absorption, & dispersion is needed, though in smaller rooms absorption will take on more importance than the other two parameters.

gtttrrr, oneforsorrow and wabash slim like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Nothing absorbs sound like an audience in winter clothes.

SAguitar, gtttrrr and Scott Fraser like this.
  7. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Look into creating something that'll allow you an air gap between the panel and the reflective surface for optimum performance. I've got a mix of foam treatment and bass traps with the foam attached directly to the walls while the bass traps are suspended or mounted to take advantage of having that gap. Check out ATS Acoustics. They've got the best prices for finished panels that I've found anywhere if you want to just order direct but they also a ton of DIY materials along with the specs of the different materials. I bought some traps from them and my wife bought some DIY stuff for a project for her studio space. They were great to deal with and we're both very happy with what we got from them. Plus, if you peruse their offerings, it might inspire your design.

As far as materials, you'll want to know the acoustic properties of your options. My wife ordered Knauf ECOSE for her panels and they turned out great. I used Rockwool for some that I made years ago with coffee bean bags from our local coffee shop. I believe there's also some cotton material but again, it's all about the acoustic performance.

And don't discount diffusion as an option. Creating random, non-parallel lines in the space can help tame it as well.

8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    :mad::confused:
    Awesome, great info Tim! Don’t intend for the paint to cover completely, looking for a sparingly done design just to add some style, so I believe that shouldn’t have much negative effect. Thanks for the filler info, gonna look those up, def was looking to stay away from std insulation, have no interest in breathing that stuff any more than I have to (actually just spent the weekend laying in it doin some remodel this weekend, and even used to install it as a teen,,, can’t stand that stuff.:confused:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  9. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    :D:D

10. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Thanks for the site info, gonna dig into that, see where that takes me. Had looked at some auralex stuff and maaan those guys sure are proud of some foam! That’s what has led me to want to look at it from a DIY perspective.

oneforsorrow likes this.
  11. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Ironically, I won an Auralex Starter Kit last month. It augments my space but due to the strange layout of the room (it's an attic space with an A frame ceiling), I had to work to put it to use. There's other foam options, when I first treated the room 15 years ago, I found some bulk egg crate foam for dirt cheap. It held up but the Auralex foam does seem to be higher quality. It's a rabbit hole but it's worth getting a good understanding about how to treat your space before you begin. And here's an article on DIY diffusers.

gtttrrr likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    No matter what material you use, make sure it's fire[proof. Remember Whitesnake.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Scott Fraser likes this.
  13. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    I once had the opportunity to tour an acoustic anechoic chamber used for noise testing for a manufacturing firm. It was really strange to stand alone in there; I swear I could hear the blood flowing through my veins. It would have been interesting to play music in it.

new6659, MrWookiee and gtttrrr like this.
  14. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Gr
    Great White? Or did Whitesnake have a fire as well?

15. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    That would be very cool to experience

16. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Yeah, I knew it was White something or other. Still, the point is, make sure nothing's flammable.

gtttrrr likes this.
  17. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Yeah, it was Great White. However, their issue with the fire wasn't that they didn't have fireproof acoustic panels and some accidental spark. The issue was the result of them using pyrotechnics in a building/venue that wasn't designed for it. I remember seeing video and the sparks shot right out onto the back wall, igniting the banner or whatever was hanging behind them. It then engulfed the wall and raged thru the room.

18. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The acoustic panels had been painted over as I remember, compromising any fire retardant. Using pyro in such a tight enclosed space on top of that was just a chain of mistakes that never should've happened. Having worked in a major university, we dealt with the fire marshal on a daily basis. When you're dealing with the public, you can never be too safe.

19. Scott Fraser

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    IIRC what was on the back wall was some sort of foam sound absorber material.

20. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    It definitely could have been. But whatever was on the back wall wouldn't have mattered because those pyrotechnics also engulfed the ceiling too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.