AC10 or AC15

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by epimetheus81, Sep 29, 2021.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I've used AC30s and AC15s. They are great amps but were too loud for my dwellings. I've never tried the AC10C1 but if I did, I would pair it with a Celestion alnico speaker to get an authentic/vintage VOX sound.

The AC4HW1 with Celestion Blue is perfect for me. I don't use a compressor anymore. Nor do I want to engage a master volume when I play clean.

[​IMG]

Ashley1983, Waxhead and Archtops like this.
  2. epimetheus81

epimetheus81 Electromatic

Mar 2, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    thanks for the super helpful breakdowns. I'm feeling like I can start by trying out the 15 to see where it gets me and move down if I think it'll annoy the neighbors. So far, they claim to not hear anything from my playing (and my cell phone DB meter gets to about 80). I may be moving later, so I'll keep that in mind. the alternatives to the ACs look great but out of my price range...the handwired models too though I love the looks and features. I guess the good news is there are plenty of options.

Last question (maybe) what about the cc models? I've heard about trouble with them overheating, though my guess is that happens when they get pushed hard. there's one with a blue here going for 495...

3. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    I guess I am in the minority with regards to the AC10C1. I bought one last year and found it way too bright for my liking, totally my opinion, some of you may appreciate the brightness. I spoke to another friend who had bought one to see how he liked his. He told me he sold his for the same reason. I did some more reading about the amp and other's reviews. I determined a new speaker may solve my issue. As I have other good sounding amps, I decided to sell it rather than spend extra for the speaker upgrade.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    Craig Encinitas and Waxhead like this.
  4. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    My AC30CCH was a great amp, no overheating, no significant noise, etc. Not sure about the AC15CCs however. That was plugged into the matching 2x12 w/ Wharfdales BTW ;)

pmac11 and epimetheus81 like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've got an AC15. For my needs, the AC10 would've been fine, but I already had the AC15 when they came out, and wasn't going to get rid of a newish amp that soon. I'm not gigging, so anything larger isn't necessary. I do like the added features on the 15. I have the Wharfedale speaker. I couldn't see the added expense to upgrade for just home use. I've had a wide range of amps---including a Super Beatle. We're I in the market, I'd consider a Mesa TA-15, tho the head alone costs what my AC15 did so I'd have to add a speaker and cab on top of that. Another consideration would be a used Ampeg Jet, just for the reverb. I liked the AC15 enough that I sold my '77 Fender Deluxe Reverb.

6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I've been pleased with my AC10C1VS. This model has an upgraded speaker from the factory. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

IMO, a great little amp for the pricepoint, and haven't had any issues in three years.

I also have an extension cab from an AC30CC1. This older CC version has a 1-12" speaker. I added a Celestion Gold.

When the AC10C1VS is plugged into this cab, it definitely takes it to another level of that Vox vibe.

@epimetheus81 If you find and like an AC10 for the present time, adding an extention cab with a Celestion is a future option to consider.

Best of luck

20190928_141207.jpg

7. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I used an actual ABY switch rather than a splitter to switch between channels when needed & it worked just like it does on my 2 channel Fenders, Marshalls, etc.

Waxhead and epimetheus81 like this.
  8. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    So, playing a Gretsh into a Vox? Seems like a workable combination. I wonder if that's been tried before.

MTurner, Runamok, Mr Twangy and 2 others like this.
  9. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    Is that a question?

10. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    There seem to be a wide variety of Celestion Creamback speakers. Which version are you suggesting for the AC10?

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Are they all combos? I am personally partial to head and cab so I can build cabs with different speakers, it is amazing how a speaker can change the whole character of an amp. But if there is a speaker jack on the combo that would still work. Or just swap speakers but that is a bit more involved.

pmac11 and epimetheus81 like this.
  12. Ashley1983

Ashley1983 Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    England
    [QUOTE="Tony65x55, post: 1435241, member:

AC15)(All variants) A rep for being loud but no, it is barely able to keep up to a medium hitting drummer. Gorgeous tone, good reverb and tremolo but stupid heavy for a 15 watt amp.

.[/QUOTE]

i will have to disagree with this one as it’s absolute tosh! …. I have the AC15 HW1X, I’ve owned an AC15 c1 AC30 C2x AC10 and a super beetle for home practise and there is no way in a million years that an AC15 can’t keep up with a drummer the bloody thing is so loud you’ll never be able to turn it up half way without blowing someone’s ears in a rehearsal room.

The hand wired doesn’t have a reverb or tremolo but I never use an amps reverb or tremolo anyway I use pedals so this is not an issue for me

IMO don’t buy a green back it’s not Vox if you want the traditional Vox tone what Vox is famous for you need the Blue speaker it makes a massive difference in sound.

the sound quality between the C1 and the HW1 is huge. I have both sometimes I ive used them in stereo when mucking around in the studio. The AC10 is a nice amp but let’s get real it’s not in the same league as the HW Series

forget the AC30 unless you are playing MASSIVE venues and in that case you’ll want one. You need to drive a Vox to get “that” tone but you never will be able too even in a rehearsal space / studio environment. Mine blew my ears in the studio cranking it to record guitar parts and I’d come out with my ears ringing for hours!

On the HW amps You can bypass the master volume and crank it which gives such a beautiful tone especially through the Top Boost channel. I play it through Dynosonics on a Duo Jet and I get loads of comments about how good my tone is more than I ever have before. You need to get your drive pedals right for it I use a Aclam Dr. Robert and a Wampler Tumnus and I find these sound great with all Vox’s

If you want a Vox and can stretch your budget a bit further do yourself a favour and pick up a blue back hand wired version cos it will blow your socks off!

Attached Files:

pmac11 likes this.
  13. otisblove

otisblove Electromatic

May 11, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    I have an AC15 head. It has a built in attenuator. Love it and you can get great tone without waking up the neighbors.

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    i will have to disagree with this one as it’s absolute tosh! …. I have the AC15 HW1X, I’ve owned an AC15 c1 AC30 C2x AC10 and a super beetle for home practise and there is no way in a million years that an AC15 can’t keep up with a drummer the bloody thing is so loud you’ll never be able to turn it up half way without blowing someone’s ears in a rehearsal room.

The hand wired doesn’t have a reverb or tremolo but I never use an amps reverb or tremolo anyway I use pedals so this is not an issue for me

IMO don’t buy a green back it’s not Vox if you want the traditional Vox tone what Vox is famous for you need the Blue speaker it makes a massive difference in sound.

the sound quality between the C1 and the HW1 is huge. I have both sometimes I ive used them in stereo when mucking around in the studio. The AC10 is a nice amp but let’s get real it’s not in the same league as the HW Series

forget the AC30 unless you are playing MASSIVE venues and in that case you’ll want one. You need to drive a Vox to get “that” tone but you never will be able too even in a rehearsal space / studio environment. Mine blew my ears in the studio cranking it to record guitar parts and I’d come out with my ears ringing for hours!

On the HW amps You can bypass the master volume and crank it which gives such a beautiful tone especially through the Top Boost channel. I play it through Dynosonics on a Duo Jet and I get loads of comments about how good my tone is more than I ever have before. You need to get your drive pedals right for it I use a Aclam Dr. Robert and a Wampler Tumnus and I find these sound great with all Vox’s

If you want a Vox and can stretch your budget a bit further do yourself a favour and pick up a blue back hand wired version cos it will blow your socks off![/QUOTE]

When I bought my Vox Nighttrain, I know some here don’t like it but I can get great sound from it, I built the 2x12 with Weber 1230-55 speakers. Well, they did nothing for me on my tone quest but when I swapped them for a Weber silver bell and blue dog the little beast really came alive. Vox just loves those type of speakers! The Winfield Typhoon also shines through that Cab!

15. JDFalcon

JDFalcon Electromatic

Oct 26, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Hey - when I bought my Falcon I had the cream AC15 and was wonderful - especially with the vibrato. Not sure if the AC10 has this which is critical for that Vox sound. It was loud but so are most amps tbh. I then switched to a Fender Vibrolux and I love this too but never missed the AC15. Now recently I bought the new Yamaha THR30II and holy **** its great! Small/portable/ has rechargeable battery/lights up cool/wireless with the Line 6 amp-to-guitar connector/loads of mods with the Yamaha app where you can dial in your sound with added effects/Bluetooth so you can jam to stuff on your phone or iPad. Seriously this is THE ONE for use in the house or apartment. Although coming from a Katana you are thinking "I need a beautiful amp now" so its up to you - just giving you my thoughts and what I've had and what I now have. Enjoy !

16. Jezzatron

Jezzatron Electromatic

I have an AC15 with Greenback Celestion and I absolutely love it. Agree that it is loud but honestly to get the best out of it you need to push the power section to really make it chime and sing.
    To make the volume more home-friendly I added a Dr Z Brake Lite inside the chassis. The mod isn't too hard to do and gives you much more flexibility over output.
    Some people say that attenuators can colour your tone - in a detrimental way - but to my ears, I can't tell the difference.
    I tried both an AC15 and AC30 but settled on the 15 as it has all that classic Vox glassy tone and gritty drive. Bear in mind though both are extremely heavy and the 30 is ridiculously loud.

17. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    [​IMG]
    Question.

So let me get this right. The MASTER volume on the left acts like an attenuator or power staging? That with the Normal Volume cranked up high like say Brian May has, you can get that power tube's fully saturated cranked tone but then lower the final volume by using the master volume dials on the left while still retaining the PT distortion?

If that is the case, then the AC15 should absolutely p0wn the lesser wattage amps in small room settings because they don't have that feature.

I am looking at the manuals and the Master volume controls suggest this controls the power amp stage, while the other volume controls only pre-amp.

If that's the case, then AC4 for the bedroom at the most. Already 3 watts too loud for any tube bedroom amp. My Pathfinder 10 is bird aviary loud during mating season and its solid-state.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  18. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Buy whatever sounds best to you and makes sense for your environment and purpose. I had difficulty finding a sweet spot on my AC15 and it was crazy heavy. I sold mine and replaced it with an AC10C1. Much lighter. Great lower volume cleans and a sweet crunch that does not make me wince nor bother the neighbors. But if you prefer loud go with the AC15. I also think the AC10 has similar tonal characteristics to an AC30.

Archtops, pmac11 and Craig Encinitas like this.
  19. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Well, Ashley, I guess that's what makes a horse race. In my experience of using the AC15 with four different bands, it simply did not have enough clean headroom and I stopped using it. I agree the AC30 is very loud but it does have an excellent master volume and can be tamed. And you're right, the AC10 is not in the same league as the HW and I didn't claim otherwise. The AC10 is a small rehearsal-class amp and a very good one - the end.

pmac11, Waxhead and epimetheus81 like this.
  20. Xochi2

Xochi2 Gretschie

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    If Volume (attenuator) & Weight are integral issues and you don't have to have a VOX, consider the Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb (Black or Blonde, Blonde has two 12" Celestion Neo G12 Creamback speakers, Black has Twin 12" Jensen N12Ks.) Blonde is $100 more at an MSRP of $1,099.99. Along those same lines you could consider a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb 1x12" 100-watt Combo Amp at $899.99. Weight: Twin (Blonde) = 33 lbs., Twin (Black) = 33 lbs., Deluxe = 23 lbs. These three amps all sport a "5-way attenuator dials back power to 0.2 watts." I mentioned the MSRP prices, I know for a fact that you can get the Twin (Blonde) for as low as (at least) $950 that would include shipping and tax. (Just have to do your homework.) Just a thought for your consideration.

epimetheus81 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.