About to disappear for a few...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by mr coffee, May 6, 2021.

1. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    I used to build telescopes in my younger days. Clear skies.

pmac11 and mr coffee like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Enjoy and have fun . ( I think I need one soon myself ) :)

mr coffee likes this.
  3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    For your waypoint trips, both Valley of Fire and Zion are pretty great. Valley of fire has some spectacular petroglyphs unlike any I've seen anywhere else. and Zion is an awe-inspiring pocket-size (by National Park standards) experience... scenic vistas in virtually every direction.

Enjoy your trip, and safe travels.

mr coffee likes this.
  4. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Mr. C - Check out Capitol Reef NP if you’re up for an impromptu change of venue. My wife and I spent some time in Bryce, Zion, and Capitol Reef a few years ago; Capitol Reef was our favorite of the three.

We were planning to go back there this spring but she needed surgery instead. Life is what happens while you’re making other plans…..

pmac11 and mr coffee like this.
  5. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Looks like Zion is more trouble than I want to deal with, as they have prohibited private traffic through the park and all guests must use the shuttles which require jumping through hoops to get advance tickets, and visitor traffic is now something like 6,000,000 visitors annually. I don't go to places like this to fight crowds, I can do that in seasonal shopping at the mall down the street. Valley of Fire looks like it's still good to go. On the other end, maybe I'll go back to Calico in Red Rock, there's a spot that I want to climb. I went about a third of the way up Cannibal Crag last time I was there, but my insoles separated and bunched up around my toes and I wasn't getting the greatest traction.

Thanks for the suggestion, hiho, I will consider that as we probably have some free time.

-m

Waxhead and Henry like this.
  6. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Meta

mr coffee likes this.
  7. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Sounds great, have fun, be safe!

mr coffee likes this.
  8. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Hope you and your wife have a great get-away and really smell the coffee!

mr coffee likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Relax, have fun, stay safe!

mr coffee likes this.
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Have a great time and enjoy yourselves!

mr coffee likes this.
  11. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Sounds awesome! Be safe and have fun!

mr coffee likes this.
  12. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Sounds awesome, enjoy! It's always great to disconnect and decompress in nature. It's my favorite thing in the world to do.

Luck favors the prepared, but generally black bears are nothing to worry about. They want absolutely nothing to do with you. Just make sure you don't walk in silence, have a little bell to make noise or quietly sing a song, and they will split long before you get there. Moose, on the other hand....not sure if there are any there, but if so, watch out for those nasty creatures.

mr coffee likes this.
  13. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Our thoughts exactly!
    Zion, while beautiful, is waaaaayyy too regimented for our style of R&R.
    Capitol Reef was 180 degrees in the opposite direction: much more like the National Parks I enjoyed as a child of the 50’s. Plenty of interesting and beautiful sights but lots of opportunities to create your own recreation. We stayed in Torrey, UT.

mr coffee likes this.
  14. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Finalizing a loose itinerary today. On our Death Valley trip, I found that calculating approximate drive times and typing up detailed directions to various destinations ahead of time really simplified things, especially in areas where there is no cell service. Sections can be skipped or shuffled but having some idea of how long any given leg takes helps make sure you are at least close to somewhere when the sun goes down. I've got the NatGeo map of the area, I'll probably print some more detailed trail maps to stuff in the map case. $40 at REI, $15 on Amazon, but ZipLoc sells a box full of them for just a couple bucks!

I talked to the wife about hikes, Fairyland Loop is less trafficked than Navajo and probably more my style but it's an 8 mile round trip with some strenuous elevation changes and I'm not sure she'll be up to that. That's okay. I was the bastard in Scouts who would hit the trail and just keep plodding until we got where we were going, you learn to tune out the tired and sore messages. I know there are plenty of days we've walked more than that in urban settings but that's a little different, isn't it?

Houston has some really beautiful spots to escape to, Edith Moore and parts of Terry Hershey can really feel like you just stepped through the wardrobe and into the woods. We try to make time to do stuff like that with some regularity. Not quite National Park level stuff but still healthy.

I've never seen a bear in the wild, but as you point out, they don't want to be seen. The boy had a bear bell for his trip to Glacier a few years back, no idea if it's still around or where it would be. I haven't seen mention of moose in the area. I found a list and apparently the only common encounters are pretty much squirrels and mule deer.

-m

15. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Birds of a feather....my wife is very leery of hiking with me, because apparently what seems like perfectly reasonable topography, elevation, and distance to me has run her into the ground a few times. And she is in shape! She says I just keep going like a pack mule and have no sense of normal human mobility limitations.

I've seen a handful of bears in the wild, luckily mostly from a fair distance. Not the last one though....of course when you come across an animal in the wild, your brain is programmed to make it seem enormous. I came through a shrub and there he was, sitting on his butt probably 20 feet away....some weird involuntary groan came out of me, and he turned his head and took off like a lightning bolt. Scared both of us so bad, we probably both needed to find a rabbit to wipe with. :D

mr coffee likes this.
  16. NiterideGuitarist

NiterideGuitarist Electromatic

Jun 4, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    More than 1 day!Which guitar are you taking?

mr coffee likes this.
  17. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    LOL Nope, no guitars.

Is it weird that Google Street View has been down these Bureau of Land Management dirt tracks in the middle of nowhere? I mean, some of these require a 4x4 or at least an SUV with reasonable ground clearance, and aren't even always passable...

-m

pmac11 likes this.
  18. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Aight kiddies, I'm out for now, time to finish packing. Catch y'all Thursday ish.

-m

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. NiterideGuitarist

NiterideGuitarist Electromatic

Jun 4, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    Hope you at least took a picture with you. I’m going through withdrawal just thinking about it!

mr coffee likes this.
  20. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Made it back in late last night, gotta go through the camera and phones but the promised pics will be forthcoming! It was a great time!

-m

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.