About to disappear for a few...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by mr coffee, May 6, 2021.

1. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Taking a much needed break, going vacationing. Yesterday, I got steroids and antibiotics for my annual ear infection so I won't have to travel sick. Saturday we leave the boy with the dogs and fly into Vegas, then head to either Valley of Fire or Zion for the day before checking in at Bryce. We'll have three days and four moonless nights to hang out in the region, I'll be trying out my new-ish camera rig on some night sky shots. Hoping to squeeze my fat old duff into a slot canyon somewhere, maybe Willis Creek or Dry Fork. I don't think we're really up to Zebra, Peek-a-boo or Spooky. We'll probably spend two days hiking around below the rim. Wednesday's drive back to Vegas will include a stop at whichever we didn't do on the way in. I might take a laptop but more likely just a tablet. Looking forward to disconnecting for a while.

-m

2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Enjoy your time away!

mr coffee likes this.
  3. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Sounds like fun, enjoy yourselves. Will expect photos on your return.

mr coffee likes this.
  4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Enjoy Mr.C!

mr coffee likes this.
  5. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    MC,

Nothing like R&R to soothe the savage beast. Sounds like a great trip...try and stay out of the guitar shops.

Best,

BIB.

mr coffee likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Enjoy the camp coffee while you're away.

MotorCentaur and mr coffee like this.
  7. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Nice, have a good trip! Both Zion & Bryce are among my favorite spots.

Runamok and mr coffee like this.
  8. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Thanks, y'all. There will definitely be photos. Hopefully they'll be good. I ditched the old D3200 and mediocre lenses for an Oly E-M10 mkIV, I'll be taking the kit lens, the 42-150mm and a Samyang 12mm f1.2, with a 3 Legged Thing tripod and a few filters. Even with the old Nikon, I was pretty pleased with daytime results but it really struggled with night sky. I've been practicing my work with the Oly and getting familiar with it, even managed to get some decent night sky here in Houston. This was with a cheaper lens that I got before I found the Samyang, got some pretty raunchy aberration:

P2190099-edit-crop.jpg

Guitar shops, I don't believe there are any along the way outside of Vegas, and I'm not planning on spending much time in town. Stop at a grocery to load up on water and snacks for the trails, maybe bear spray. Last count, there's 10 or 12 black bears living in Bryce.

-m

9. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Gretschie

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    Loved astronomy since I was a kid and envy anyone with the equipment, knowledge and skill to do night shots and starry skies. Heh. They never turn out well with basic dslr or cellphone cameras. :)

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    mr coffee likes this.
  10. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Awesome! Enjoy your time off the grid, the truth is still out there.

mr coffee likes this.
  11. Sounds great. Don’t know all the canyons you mention, the few I do are fun. Envious.
    You’re not taking the kid, the dog, nor the moon. Ambitious man.

There are the panthers (signs say panthers, not “cougars” btw,
    but I’d steer a wide berth around the cougars on early morning run too).

Archtops and mr coffee like this.
  12. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Bruh you ain't lying. I grew up reading Odyssey magazine, dad had an old Edmund Scientific maybe 3" reflecting telescope. I remember seeing Saturn's rings...we would go visit Grampa up north and he would point out all the constellations and you could see the Milky Way and watch meteor showers. Now I look at the pictures some people are taking and it's just amazing, but it's not a cheap hobby. I've been learning how to use stacking software, I shoot in RAW, and I figure my glass is halfway decent. We'll see where it gets me next week! I know full frame mirrorless would be better than micro four thirds, but I just can't swing that kind of cost right now. Trying to practice in town is murder, the light pollution here is so bad I'd have to drive nearly two hours to find dark skies. The good thing is the Oly can pair with my tablet and I can preview test shots on the fly, check focus and exposure.

-m

13. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I'm not planning on getting too cuddly with any wildlife. A few years back at GCNP, walking around one of the viewing areas we encountered a raven that was bigger than most toddlers, and further on a group of elk and peccaries. Fun stuff.

-m

14. Good for you! Yes, I’m jealous.

mr coffee likes this.
  15. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Sounds cool, enjoy your holiday, no doubt we will see the pics when you get back.

mr coffee likes this.
  16. Speaking cuddly.
    :) That wasn’t you who skipped the last bus back after watching
    the sunset because you left your prescription glasses along the rim, was it? o_O

(Though I wondered if it wasn’t a Mile High Club event the couple was really after. Still a rough walk back in the dark with ostensibly no flashlight).

mr coffee likes this.
  17. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Gretschie

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    I still have an old copy of Peterson Field Guides - Stars and Planets that I've had since public school. Pluto is a planet!

Watching the Perseids used to be an annual treat but the last five plus years it always seems to be overcast and my wife and I have missed it.

Not that we can see much in the city. I would love to live in the country. Best we've managed are trips to my father-in-law's. He built himself a gorgeous retirement home up on the Bruce Peninsula (northern Ontario) and you can see the Milky Way. Just gorgeous.

mr coffee likes this.
  18. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Sounds like a fun trip. Mrs MT and I were planning to go to Utah in September 2019. Decided to push it off a year. :rolleyes: Maybe this fall now.

Have a good and safe journey. Pics or it didn't happen.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    mr coffee likes this.
  19. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Enjoy your trip!

mr coffee likes this.
  20. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Thanks again guys, it's been a long eight months ramping up the new business and we're ready for a break. Our hard work is paying off, but it takes a toll after a while. I'm able to spend time online or squeeze in little projects a few minutes at a time while I'm chained to my desk and phone, at least, but generally our life has become waking up far earlier than we prefer, grind all day, collapse at the end, wake up far earlier than we prefer, like Sisyphus on that hill.

Ooph. No, that would not be us. LOL! I won't deny a history of shenanigans but I ~usually~ keep my head screwed on a little tighter than that. (The wife might argue that, of course.)

-m

Archtops likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.