About That Nocturne Rooster Guitar...

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by giffenf, Nov 24, 2021.

1. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'm woefully behind in creating and shooting a demo video of this fine instrument, and while it's been my #1 gigging guitar for the last few gigs, recordings demonstrating its abilities are hard to come by. So for now we'll just have to use what we can get.

My wife captured this performance on Sunday. It was a celebration of life party for several pros in the L.A. Blues scene who passed away this year, an invitation-only event held at our bass-player Chris Smith's house, almost exclusively other musicians (picture the maximum number of black shirts, cool looks, and cigars you could cram into one backyard, and that pretty much describes it). Several local Blues bands played, and the Boilermakers made their first gigging appearance. This is one of our original tunes, called "An Average Tuesday." The guitar is just going into an Atomic Brain and then to my Quilter MicroPro 8. The takeaway from this for me, if I hadn't concluded it before, was how touch-sensitive this guitar is. I learned in a previous song that using the Abby mode on the Brain isn't really necessary, so all I did here was just pick a little harder on the solos, and the guitar gives back more than just an incremental amount of volume, it stands up and shouts. In a nice way.

There are more unique aspects to this guitar which I will hopefully one day get to describe and demonstrate. One day.

Anyway, the Boilermakers describe ourselves as "A Drinking Group With A Music Problem." Kind of a cowpunk/pscychobilly mashup. We all have kinda different personas we asssume. Lead singer "Brother" Scott Griffith, bassist "Cousin" Chris Smith, drummer "Cousin Vinny" Vinciguerra (because a band really needs a heavy-metal drummer to do it right), and because I'm older than the others, I'm known as "Uncle Frank," intended to look like I just wandered in out of the barn and onto the stage. At this event, as I was walking around in my overalls and cowboy hat, all the black-shirted, sunglass-wearing blues cats (and I only knew a couple of them before this) just looked at me like "Did he go to the wrong address?"

But it was all validated when one of them walked up to me after our set and said "Man, I've never seen you before, and I don't know who you are, but you f***ing killed!" That's good enough for me, but personally, I think it was the guitar that did it.

2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Nice! You really cut through the mix, and Love the vibe in that song.

giffenf likes this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Sounds great.

giffenf likes this.
  4. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I don’t doubt anything you say about the guitar, but I think it really shines in your capable hands, it just goes to show, it’s all in the fingers! Nice job!

giffenf likes this.
  5. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Sounds absolutely killer and cuts through nicely. Definitely on my list for one day. Thanks for posting!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.