A vintage beauty with a story ( Gretsch 6122 Chet Atkins 1964 )

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by thunderbaas, Jan 24, 2021.

1. thunderbaas

thunderbaas Electromatic

Sep 22, 2019
    groningen,netherlands
    This one is for sale on the main dutch internet selling site (marktplaats) for about $6000. It is a beautifull 6122 Chet Atkins from 1964 & comes with its original suitcase. What makes this guitar extraordinary is that it has been played by Eddy Cristiani. He was a big star in the Netherlands in the late 50ies / early sixties who sang kind of western swing songs with dutch lyrics. Rumour has it that he was one of the first dutch Artists who played a Gretsch. He had quite a few top hits in the Netherlands in his hay days.
    What wonders me are the 2 knobs sticking out the top left and right from the bridge. What are these ? Some kind of detuning device ? Or a string muting device ? And were these neck pick ups standard in 1964 on a Chet Atkins ? Annyway,start drooling ;) Here are some pictures.
    Gretsch 6122 Chet Atkins 1964 ex Eddy Christiani C.JPG Gretsch 6122 Chet Atkins 1964 ex Eddy Christiani A.JPG Gretsch 6122 Chet Atkins 1964 ex Eddy Christiani G.JPG Gretsch 6122 Chet Atkins 1964 ex Eddy Christiani L.JPG Gretsch 6122 Chet Atkins 1964 ex Eddy Christiani H.JPG Gretsch 6122 Chet Atkins 1964 ex Eddy Christiani R.JPG Gretsch 6122 Chet Atkins 1964 ex Eddy Christiani N.JPG

jm99, DonArcher, Duo Slinger and 4 others like this.
  2. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Those two levers with the red felt discs under them are string mute controls. Nobody uses them. They are kind of like nipples on a dude... they add symmetry but have no functional use.

You'll note that the guitar Mr. Christani is playing on that album cover has a personalized pickguard, a Filtertron pick-up in the neck position (instead of the Supertron that this lovely Gent displays), and also has dot fretboard markers added near the end of the fretboard. So it would seem that this is a completely different guitar than the one in the photos you've provided.

thunderbaas, thunder58 and 1883 like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I looked up the ad. The problem here is he has no proof of previous ownership, except some second hand story of a salesman at the store.

thunderbaas and thunder58 like this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Oh boy ........ buyer beware

5. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    It's a nice axe thought. I don't know if it's too expensive or not (over here in Italy every vintage Gretsch costs a kidney, especially because they're all in the hands of a few collectors... I've played at my guitar man's shop a '67 with rotting binding that was on sale for 4500 euros, so almost 5000 usd), the good thing is that binding is almost intact.

6. thunderbaas

thunderbaas Electromatic

Sep 22, 2019
    groningen,netherlands
    Thanks for the info Wayne G. & Ricochet
    I think you're totally right about this being a different guitar than the one Mr. Cristiani is playing. Here's a foto that was also in the ad of him holding his "Gent" I noticed that the colour of the edge of the back piece is red,and on this one it's green. So probably a sales story. Still a beautifull "old timer" with an original case. And I've learned something new about the "oldies";) Gretsch 6122 Chet Atkins 1964 ex Eddy Christiani B.JPG

7. afire

afire Country Gent

There was a member here, 58dutchie, who I believe briefly owned Eddy Christiani's '59 6120.
    [​IMG]

thunderbaas and JC higgy like this.
  8. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    WG,

Probably a lot like Brian Setzer, in his day, his hands likely touched many Gretsch guitars, demos/loaners etc.

How many he actually owned...is known only to God.

It is definitely a nice piece, over-priced. Shipping/exchange...I'd be into this guitar to the tune of...pardon the pun, $10,000. CDN.

For that, I could buy almost three new ones.

Could be hiding many problems, not a guitar you'd want to buy ''sight unseen''. It has been cased, that alone is a bonus.

BIB.

9. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool aul Gent though!:cool:

10. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    '64 Gents came with the Supertron/Filtertron pickup combination

thunderbaas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.