a sad sad day

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by rosemary, Aug 1, 2009.

1. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    i have oft bemoaned my plight. cast in a world of pro-line owners.. pro-lineless, heartbroken, and destitute. and yet the saddness continues my friends lol. walked into a guitar center the other day with my mother and saw what was to be the epitome of temptation, and my eventual dissapointment.. after months of seeing my obsession ( beat up gretsch 6118HT 1962) relegated to the "don't even think about touching it wall", i finally saw my gem, my holiest of holies.. prominently displyed on the floor in prime rosemary snatching distance. i of course jumped at the chance and before my mothers eyes regressed back into an exuberant, incoherant, drooling child. my mother being a mother started making plans for me to get this thing. she, a very skilled and committed horse trader, deal maker, not to mention MBA holding business woman was determined to satisfy her 24 yr old infant lol. the asking price was 3400, my mom rather amazingly talked the guy down to 1500 without breaking a sweat. she being the saint she is wanted to put the purchase on her GC card. yet though i was tempted i just couldn't in good conscience allow her to take on this purchase. she is currently unemployed and i barely make above minimum wage. clearly neither of us were in any position to truly negotiate this purchase, but MAN I ALMOST HAD IT!!!!!! so it was a sad day, but it was also nice to see how cool my mother is ( not that i needed reminding) and just how far maternal instinct will go even in this lame economic climate.

maybe someone can negotiate a nice stimulus package for me lol.

2. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Don't worry about it there girl! Your day will come. When it comes talk to us and we'll do better for you. Seriously! That mark up was way too high! Not long ago the box stores were blowing these out for 999 new. Between here and the other forums we can get you into a nice used proline between 900 to 1200. Most of these coming off these forums are almost pristine. You'd be surprised what's to be had out there.

Sorry I mispoke it was the Tenny with HiLos they were blowing out at that price

3. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    aww thanks junkie.. guess it's time to start saving :)

4. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    A good example of this is for what I paid for my 6143 MF and GC had an at times $800 mark up on the retail compared to my shipped and out the door price. Deals like that can be made everyday when you shop right. I thinned out the herd to settle up on my 2 Gretsches and couldn't be much happier. Well not true the third one was given to me by the company!

5. vjf1968

vjf1968 Former Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Stay away from GC. Keep your eyes open here and something will pop up and at a reasonable price. There is a poster named Redbone who has Gretsches at discount prices but you have to call to get the price. Might be worth a shot. And never purchase anything like that on a credit card because a $2,500 guitar can easily become a $3,500 guitar just with the interest. And I personally stay away from vintage Gretsches because I feel the new ones are much better built. I got my 6120-1959 on Ebay from a guitar store in Arizona and was priced at $1,700 becuase it was B-stock. The guitar only needed a fret filing at the 10th fret and it was as good as new becuase it was new. So save your cash.

6. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Rosemary, I hate that you had to go through that little episode...I feel bad for you in a way. But in another way you're very lucky; give your mom a hug and remind her how special she is to you...and while you're at it, give her a hug from all of us here. It sounds like she's quite a lady.

7. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

Amen to that!

8. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    I'll second that!

9. Telefan

Telefan Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    Louisville
    Don't worry, you'll get a pro-line. I had to wait until I was 30, but it was worth it. Just make sure your Mom is with you when you go to get it or you'll get ripped off. That's some amazing negotiating skill right there.

10. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    Consider this:

The guitar started at $3500, yet they still can't sell it at $1500. Maybe there is a REASON, and God or Yahweh or maybe just unknown common sense informed you that the deal is too good to be true. Whatever the reason, the purchase was not meant to be.

When deals go south on me - and they do with some regularity - I console myself with just that thought. It wasn't meant to be, hopefully because some higher power was/is looking out for me.

So you are doubly blessed - a loving, generous mother AND a chance to get your REAL prize guitar.

11. Telefan

Telefan Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    Louisville
    Jeff has a great point. The guitar could have been a real lemon.

12. DejaVu

DejaVu Electromatic

Aug 1, 2009
    Calgary
    There will always be another day. :)

If that guitar was truly yours, you'll get a hold of it eventually! But props to your mom and her bargaining skills!

13. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Those were pretty much my thoughts. You just don't come down 2 grand on a 3500 dollar guitar if for no other reason then to make the sale. It's easy it was never a 3500 dollar guitar. Done as to make it look like they were doing you a favor. I just wish I knew what it was as in year and such stuff. It will all come together someday.

14. ellengtrgrl

ellengtrgrl Gretschie

Feb 4, 2009
    Milwaukee Area
    That's too bad Rosemary. But as was said, maybe it wasn't meant to be. As a professional woman who isn't rolling in the dough, here's a few things I did to get my prolines (one of which I sold a few months ago to get money for my present one). Maybe these will help you:

1. If you can, possibly see about putting the guitar on layaway, if it looks like a good deal. I did that. Stretch the layaway period out as long as you can - unpleasant financial surprises can occur, that can delay paying off the guitar. That happened with my 'Club. I originally planned to have it home by June, but due to unexpected financial emergencies, I ended up not paying it off until July. By having it on an extended layaway, I was able to keep the Club (which cost me $1500 - a price that was stupid cheap for a Club) from being bought out from under me before I had enough money to pay it off.

2. See if you can get NOS. My old Brian Setzer Hot Rod was a 2004, and my present Country Club is a 2003. The Hot Rod was IMO, as a good a guitar as the present 2009 model, ditto for the Country Club I have now. By getting them NOS, I saved a huge chunk of change, by not buying this year's model. Both guitars were bought this year (but not at the same time - when I found out the Country Club was more my style, I sold the Hot Rod to get the Club).

3. Buy used - as long as it isn't a beater, you save a nice chunk of change.

4. Unless they are having blowout sales, GC & MF have a tendency to be a rip-off for the blue chip stuff. I'm surprised that your mom (who really sounds like a cool woman for trying to help you out - my parents to this day, complain if they find out I spent more than like $150 for a guitar) was able to haggle with them. I'd read on another forum I belong to, that GC was cracking down on their employees doing haggling deals with customers. You might want to look elsewhere for a better deal. Four Gretsch dealers that forumites have had good luck with are:

a. Shanghai Music & Sound - http://www.shanghai-guitars.com/Home Page/Home.html

b. Black Rider Guitars - http://blackriderguitars.com/

c. Dave's Guitar Shop - http://davesguitar.com/

d. Streetsounds NYC - http://www.streetsoundsnyc.com/servlet/StoreFront

I've done business with Dave's in the past (back in the 90s, when I was more active in the live music scene, I used to literally drive from one side of the state [Wisconsin - along the shore of Lake Michigan] to to the other side of the state[LaCrosse - on the Mississippi River] to buy my gear at Dave's Guitar Shop). He always has cool stuff, both new and used. The guy is also a vintage guitar and amp nut, and has been for over 20 years. He's also willing to haggle a bit.

I bought my Country Club from Streetsounds NYC. Rocky's great to deal with, and usually carrys a fair amount of NOS Gretsches.

Most if not all of the above places, ship world wide.

Good luck, :)
    Ellen

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  15. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    Rosemary:

What exact Gretsch year/model, and which Guitar Center? I'd like to look it up online. They have their used inventory on the net.

16. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    Guitar Centar pasadena california it's a 1962 6118HT green finish model. plays great too, check it out!

17. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    thanks 4 the tips ellen i love your club!!

18. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    she certainly is Scott im so lucky to have her as my mommy!

19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    You did the right thing. Credit cards are cancer to your personal finances. Save your sheckels and be ready to strike when the next good deal comes along . . and there is ALWAYS another good deal on the way.

20. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    It's not on their used inventory.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.