A Quilter... My kingdom for a Quilter !

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by hcsterg, Oct 12, 2021.

1. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    A Quilter... My kingdom for a Quilter ! (William Shakespeare - Richard III...)

Guys : many of you have bought or at least tested a Quilter guitar amp (head or combo)... Right ? :)
    I never done it... :(

Are their reverb good sounding ?
    Do they have decent overdriven tone (from sublte to full) ?
    What are your experiences ?
    What model would you recommend ?

Thanks for your replies... ;)

A+!

pmac11, cowmoo, Henry and 1 other person like this.
  2. JLD4133

JLD4133 Country Gent

May 10, 2011
    Mequon, WI
    I love tube amps, but age and bad shoulders mandated concessions to weight saving. So, when I underwent a hip replacement, I acquired a Quilter and found it to rival the sounds of tube amps. Currently I own a 101 Mini Reverb Head, and an Aviator Cub combo. They are both excellent, and both have served well at gigs.

L Robbins and hcsterg like this.
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've had an Interblock 45 & a 101 Mini Head for a bit now. The Interblock does a very nice DR impression & the 101 has a bit more flexibility for voicing. Both work great for relatively clean sounds IMO & respond very well as pedal platforms for me. They've got some dynamic feel to them as well & the OD sounds are pretty respectable on their own IMO. I've used either of them more as practice/solo bass amps than for guitar, but a friend has done a few tours w/ his Interblock 45 for guitar & seemed super happy w/ it, again using it as more of a pedal platform.

I think I like the more traditional tone stack models a bit better than the Tri-Q, just seems easier to dial for me. The Tri-Q setup seems fully capable just a different & unfamiliar approach.

Can't comment on the verb as I've never messed w/ one that had it out side of a few minutes in a store.

L Robbins and hcsterg like this.
  4. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I had a Quilter MicroPro Mach II 12. I truly loved that amp. It toured with me around the country logging around 200 dates. In a pinch, the onboard Reverb, Tremolo, and Overdrive (the "Cream" boost) served my needs. But, my preference was to use my Strymon Flint for the verb and trem. The Quilter verb is a bit noisy. It had a very light hiss to it and in a typical bar setting, it wouldn't register as problematic but in quieter listening room settings, it annoyed me. The tremolo was fine but I preferred the Flint and liked to be able to use the tap function of the Flint to match tempos. The overdrive was very usable but I didn't care for it when pushed to higher settings. I also had little need to go to extreme settings. The "Crunch" mode of the the boost function sounded really cool with my baritone. I could set it a bit higher than I would normally use and roll back the volume on the baritone and get a great sound. It really shines as a clean amp and I used it mostly as a pedal platform. But again, in a pinch, it could be a grab and go with just your guitar and cover a lot of ground. I also liked being able to use different voicings in different settings. I mostly used the "Tweed" setting but the interplay of the tone stack and Cream boost and different voicings offered up a near endless variety of tones. And with the channel switching option, the killer FX loop, the balanced line out, and weighing in at a mere 27 lbs, it covers a lot of ground.

I did sell mine in order to fund my "dream" amp (Magnatone Varsity Reverb) but if I could've kept the Quilter too, I most certainly would've done so. I just had my heart set on getting a Maggie.

Another tidbit I'll offer up. I'd get very mixed reactions from guitar players on this amp. Those with a bias towards tube amps wouldn't cotton to the Quilter. But I got so many compliments from most players and sound engineers. And it wasn't from my playing. It was from the tone.

Archtops and hcsterg like this.
  5. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    They stack nicely on a tube amp. :)

D69CB325-067E-4500-9B7E-2F01907561C8.jpeg

6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'm curious as to the overdrive as well. Do most people use it as a clean platform or do you use the overdrive channel or feature as well?

hcsterg likes this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    OK - Thank you Guys !

I already note those amp names among your very useful descriptions and impressions :

While looking, I also saw this one :
    upload_2021-10-12_19-33-5.png

A+!

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    No tone control on the OD channel? Or is the limit a tone control?

hcsterg likes this.
  9. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Not familiar with that one but I believe it's based on a Dumble maybe? I was after a combo when I bought mine so any of the heads didn't get a look from me.

In a sense, the limit function might affect tone. But it primarily impacts the clipping and I found it to very much be a feel thing when I used it. I often had mine set between 10 and 1.

If I were going to jump back into the Quilter thing (and I might if touring ever resumes for us but it's not likely), I would pick up the US Super block as a back-up amp/DI for silent stages.

10. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Been on the look out for a 101 reverb for ages. Still looking!!!

hcsterg likes this.
  11. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I have a 101 Mini (no reverb) that does a decent Tweed or Blackface vibe. I use mine as a clean platform, with dirt provided by a Wampler Paisley Drive and/or Tavo's Junior Barnyard. Reverb is provided by a HOF Mini in the loop, with an EMT140 toneprint. Quilter has great cleans... they rival my Mesa Boogie F50.

@hcsterg you need not squander your kingdom. I have a Quilter Superblock US on order, and between Canada Post and the USPS, it should arrive any week now. It may replace my 101 Mini Head, and if so I'll have a 101 Mini for sale.

hcsterg and Henry like this.
  12. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have 11 or 12 Quilters, and I’m going to gig with a SuperBlock (US) tonight. I haven’t had any issues with the reverb, but then, I seldom get to play in quiet environments, so maybe it’s there and I’ve just never heard it. I generally use it clean and dirty it up with a Nocturne Fluid Drive or an Alameda Angry Hornet fuzz. I find the different voices very tweakable and can use the amp all by itself if I need to, I just like to play with pedals. It benefits from a Nocturne Brain pedal as much as a good tube amp does, so I’ve usually got one of those in front of it. I use the SuperBlock with 2 Quilter 1x12 cabs, one HD, one regular, or the 8” combo with the HD 12, the clean channel with that latter combo makes a great acoustic amp as well as an electric amp. I did an outdoor solo gig at a wedding with just an acoustic guitar and the 8” MicroPro combo, and it was plenty loud.

I like tube amps, too, but for gigging, I’ll take a Quilter every time. I usually record with one, too. The best part of Quilter amps is they don’t care about speaker impedance. So I have a whole collection of cabs I can plug the head into to sound any way I want. Or even with no speakers. Our bass player is a Quilter artist, and when we played Disneyland, we just used the DIs on our Quilter heads and in-ear monitors, and they sounded great out in the audience.

I used to beta test stuff for them, but now that they’re more popular they have better players than me who are happy to test their stuff out on tour, so that ended that adventure.

Yes, I’m a fan, and I may be a little biased.

I have 2 of their amps for sale right now, the Steelaire 200-watt steel guitar combo amp, and their BassBlock 802 head with a BassDock 10 and BassDock 12 cabs, but neither is likely what hcsterg is in the market for. Only selling because I need to pay for something else I bought, and I’m not getting any bass gigs these days, nor am I much of a steel player.

hcsterg, Henry, L Robbins and 2 others like this.
  13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo

Are their reverb good sounding ?
    yes, blackface ish but not really splashy per se. I use a bit for dimension but rely on my pedals for more expressive verbs.

Do they have decent overdriven tone (from sublte to full)
    ?
    Its ok, not bad not a game changer.

What are your experiences ?

I've relied on the Problock for many years on stage when I play my acoustics and archtops through a vox cab or JBL 15", also for a Korg SV1 stage piano, and occasionally bass.

What model would you recommend ?
    I used the 202 during covid for live stream and recorded services. This was my amp exclusively w either my Mysterbrain or my El Pescadoro on in front of it. A few weeks before we went to live in person performances I changed over to a tonemaster deluxe fender just because I bought it anticipating outdoor staging, but otherwise would say its extremely versatile but I will mention that for online performance recordings I ran it all into apple Logic x's plugins to make it more tube like.
    This amp is not like a tube amp for the player, it just cant be at least at this stage of the game. Its got basic cab emulation but there is no reactive load experience here. So the player doesnt get the wonderful dynamic interaction of a great tube amp.
    That said, the audience wont ever know and its a very good amp to comp a hybrid blackface meets tweed, for the listener.
    I'm sure youve seen a ton of vids I've shared w Tommy Harkenrider as he uses a quilter problock w my preamps into various cabs, he sounds fantastic. Yet, put him side by side next to another player using the same nocturne preamps, into a tube amp and you can tell the difference in playing response. Live for sure, compressed youtube videos, not as much but its there. case in point.

(tommy has the red grez semi hollow into a quilter pro and nocturne 112 cab housing a veteran30... paul has the archtop grez into a nocturne bettie blondshell63)

Henry and pmac11 like this.
  14. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Electromatic

Sep 8, 2021
    Redding, CA
    I have a Quilter Aviator Cub 50w 12” combo.
    It does three Deluxe impressions: Tweed; blond; Black (face): very well, plus gain&volume pots so you can get it at bedroom levels as well as at speaker straining levels and everything in between. I get distortion from the Tweed input. Mild to fairly wild.
    It replaced my Deluxe and Princeton amps. I still have a Dr Z Karma Ghia.
    The reverb is good for what I like. There is no tremolo. 21lbs.
    I hardly use the Z anymore. But I’m keeping it. It’s a different thing.
    Very happy with Quilter.

hcsterg and pmac11 like this.
  15. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I have tube amps and solid state amps. My preference is clean sounds. I have a 101R and a Superblock UK. They both sound great to me and seem to be a good value. The reverb isn't overly expansive but for my purposes gets the job done and I love reverb and always have it on but usually just enough to give the guitar a little depth.

hcsterg and pmac11 like this.
  16. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I have a 101 Reverb and a Quilter Aviator 8. The 101's main use is to live in my stage kit with a six-foot cable with alligator clips and a phone plug. It is an emergency amp in case my main amp goes south and it has saved my bacon a couple of times. A couple of other players too! I plug in the cable and clip the alligators to the speaker in the dead amp. Crude but it works and I'm back in business in a couple of minutes.

The Aviator 8 is ok. It has some nice cleans and lots of eq and wattage. I regularly use it to plug my acoustic in to. It sounds ok but is plenty clean and loud for the acoustic.

Frankly though, my eighties Roland orange cubes are better electric guitar amps.

hcsterg likes this.
  17. gibsonkal

gibsonkal Newbie

Dec 16, 2017
    NC
    I've owned a few different model Quilters since 2014, and still use them exclusively. Currently I'm using the Micropro Mach 2 (8in). The other in a stereo rig is the Gen 1 US made Overdrive 200 (in a VBoutique cab w/Celestion TF0818 8" speaker which is what's also in the Mach2. Straight up I don't like the Reverb in the Mach 2, as it's meh & noisy, and the tremolo is decent. The limiter & select-able boost settings are very nice, and I like most of the voices, but only really use 2 of them. The Overdrive 200 is perfect for more gain-y aggressive tones. I love this combination, and it does everything I need it to do. The Celestion TF0818 is a real sleeper -don't scoff at it's diminutive size...they are fantastic in the Quilters. You could do most gigs with these. As a player for 35+ years these days I prefer to concentrate on the music, and not fooling around with heavy finicky tube amps which I once did. Also I should mention that I'm not a fan of modeling amps/processors (at least the lower end stuff).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.