A Question of Capo Use

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by DougWheeler74, Apr 16, 2021.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    There really nice . Have a good weight to them and like I said , several " insert pads " to match different radius' . So you can buy one capo and use for several different brand name guitars . The one thing I don't do is store it above the nut as Thalia suggest you can do . I'm just not comfortable doing that

2. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Gotcha . Either way , same result for my small hand :(

3. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Oh , @DougWheeler74 , I forgot to mention this . A friend goes to Montana every year for 3-4 months and leaves me in charge of humidifying his guitars . Each year he gives me a small gift for doing so ( as it's not necessary ) Just last week he came home and gave me this ... meh ... Really hope he didn't pay $69.99 for it . I'm just not impressed . ( squeeze the " U " sale part to swing and lock or unlock it over the fret board , screw the tension down )

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 7.16.36 PM.png

DougWheeler74 likes this.
  4. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Gretschie

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    I couldn't live without capos. I have four although two are specific use, a G7 for my electric 12-string and another G7 for my 7.25 radius Telecaster.

At a rough guess I'd say 40% of my songs have a capo on one of the guitar parts.

thunder58 likes this.
  5. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Epic :):):):D

6. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @DougWheeler74 , I found these 2 videos for you to look at . Like i said , Thalia's work ......... give a listen

I like what this guy says at starting 5:58

7. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Good info, I'll have to remember this. I hate Kyser capos, only time mine sees light is when I'm changing strings, it comes in handy. I did not realize that with a Shubb on an electric, will keep that in mind.

8. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Not gonna lie, while it's not my preferred capo by any stretch of the imagination, I find that I wind up using my Kyser at gigs - there's something to be said for being able to grab it from its spot clamped to my mic stand and slap it in place and go. I'll be damned if I'm gonna be the guy fumbling around with my capo when the rest of the guys are ready to go and the audience is waiting for music. It works. And yes, it's cheap enough that I don't care if it gets lost or damaged or stolen or...

-m

L Robbins likes this.
  9. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    These are nice runs down of capos and the Thalia in particular. Tony Polecastro mentions two things that I did not; bulk & weight. I noticed both. One reason that I don't like my Kyser is that my fretting hand keeps bumping up against it. Not a big deal but irritating to me. I really do wish that it had worked out for me. I had ordered one in red which I thought would shine with my stage clothes (often black with a red rose) plus interchangeable inserts for different guitars if needed. Alas, when I contacted support and mentioned that I had trouble operating it due to the pressure required they offered no fix. On the bright side they cheerfully refunded my money. Thanks for the videos.

thunder58 likes this.
  10. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    OK - for those still following the thread here is where I am at. Confused. Today, the capo pulls strings sharp which I would expect. (Yes, I know sharp from flat as do my tuners.) The day I started this thread the capo pulled them all flat which was confusing. Maybe gravity has shifted? :eek:

I attempted to set intonation. It was my first time but seemed straight forward. Seemed is the key word here. After setting the intonation, I played each fret on the E string per the request of @stevo . The high E string steps through the notes cleanly, but the low E string goes sharp on each note. Now I'm wondering if the bridge is crooked.

Here are a few pictures of the bridge. It looks like it should be movable. I'm off to find the instructions that came with the guitar.

I tried to stag stevo but can't get it to work. I think I'll go have a beverage.

IMG_9085.jpg IMG_9084.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    stevo likes this.
  11. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Ok, I'll chime in. If, as you say, the low E goes sharp on each note, it might be that it needs to be lowered at the nut. When you fret the string at the 3rd fret, there should be a small gap at the second fret and that gap should be almost the same at the first fret...while still fretting at the third.
    The bridge is movable only in that the base and treble sides can be raised/lowered to adjust the action and of course the saddles are adjustable for intonation...which in the picture look to be normal as far as stepping down is concerned but of course if you adjust the nut on the low E string, the intonation on that string will need to be adjusted as well.
    Best of luck with this.

12. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    If you set intonation, then your open note and 12th fret note should be identical. So at some point, as you fret the notes, you'll be getting less and less sharp since eventually, you'll no longer be sharp. Two things - nut height can be a bugger. Like Gregor said. Can't remember what the second one was.

But there is a simple issue with low E strings that I often find - on nearly every guitar of mine, they can be sensitive to finger pressure. I often detune my low E just a tiny bit because of this. Even when I've got absolutely perfect nut slots, low E strings can irritate me on the first through third frets while playing chords.

13. L Robbins

L Robbins Gretschie

May 3, 2017
    USA
    Here is my Bill Stokes “ Showcase” capo. Love it.
    Very popular on the Bluegrass circut. Too much money ;) 5AA4CB8E-DA22-4B40-9A87-7342E917C075.jpeg

thunder58 likes this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The bridge looks really nice and a step up quality wise from what we usually see.

Do you mind sharing a pic of the nut?

15. Dana

Dana Electromatic

Feb 2, 2016
    Worcester, Massachusetts
    "Purists" may think that capo's diminish your playing ability.
    But in fact, Many players like George Harrison and Tom Petty use capos on their Gretsch's for contrast to an acoustic.
    Or to fit their vocal range. Play what feels best for You!

Flouswa likes this.
  16. gazzie

gazzie Electromatic

Nov 10, 2010
    Frome
    Hi, I use a capo in lots of songs both live and recording.

At an average gig I probably use it on half the songs or more. I am constantly moving it for different songs - ie for keys/voicings - or taking it on and off between songs if changing from non capo to capo'd song. It's a vital part of playing for me. I use a G7 and it is hands down the best I've ever found, I NEVER have to re tune when I take it on or off, it's easy to use, you could even put in on and take it off with one hand if you wanted to - and works on every electric guitar I own, though I usually play Gretsch/Fender (I have over 40, mostly Gretsch, Fender, Gibson)

Don't listen to your friend about not using it on electric guitars - why doesn't he try telling that to country players and Nashville session musicians, it's a staple of that genre ha ha!

L Robbins and thunder58 like this.
  17. DougieNorrie

DougieNorrie Electromatic

Nov 10, 2020
    Liverpool
    Essential for singers to find a good key.
    I always have to retune a bit when using any guitar or capo.

18. L Robbins

L Robbins Gretschie

May 3, 2017
    USA
    Indeed, sometimes you need the nuance that only an open string can give. I think of them as another tool in my musical bag.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    stevo likes this.
  19. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    Keith Richards...but take a look at Albert Collins - always used a capo on his tele. Always use a quality capo, some of them out there are like a rubber band and yeah - you can't tune, intonation is out of whack. You get what you pay for.

20. matmosphere

matmosphere Electromatic

Jun 2, 2020
    DC
    I have not read this whole thread but the issues you are experiencing come down to fretboard radius.

I have capos that work great on my fenders , but not on my Danelectro which have a much flatter radius.
    I don’t know what a revstar’s neck radius is but I would just suggest trying a few and see what works.

the thickness and firmness of the capo’s rubber makes a big difference here and not all will work on every guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.