A new original: Wreck of the Belle Hill

Discussion in 'Songs in the key of Gretsch' started by BoneDigger, Jan 11, 2022.

1. BoneDigger

BoneDigger Electromatic

Dec 7, 2015
    Tyler, TX
    This is a new song I wrote about a shipwreck. The electric guitar parts were recorded using my G5622t.

Sorry, I realize this is a long song and that 3-4 minutes is optimal, but since I am not planning to make any money and I doubt there will be "airplay", I'm really not too concerned. I wanted to tell a story, so I did!

As some background, I love Gordon Lightfoot and always thought it would be fun to write something along the lines of the Edmond Fitzgerald. I came across a story about the Belle Hill, which wrecked off the coast of Ireland in 1875. I thought it may be a nice story to write out in musical form. When the ship wrecked, two brothers, James and John Carton launched their little fishing boat to try and save people. Of the 16 crew, only one survived. The dead were buried on the beach, and today, people visit the graves and put a rock on the graves as a tribute and for good luck. I wanted to make this kind of a folk song but with a bit of sea shanty/chantey feel.

This song is still be fleshed out a bit. If the vocals seem nasally, I hope to fix it.

https://mcmakinmusic.com/track/2947780/wreck-of-the-belle-hill

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  2. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Country Gent

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Excellent song! Well told story. It seemed a lot shorter than the time stamp.

BoneDigger likes this.
  3. BoneDigger

BoneDigger Electromatic

Dec 7, 2015
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks!

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Nice work my friend :)

BoneDigger likes this.
  5. BoneDigger

BoneDigger Electromatic

Dec 7, 2015
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks everyone! I realize the vocals are a weak part ofg the song. I am talking to some folks more knowledgeable than me and I hope to have the vocals worked out in a few days.

6. BoneDigger

BoneDigger Electromatic

Dec 7, 2015
    Tyler, TX
    OzzPocket likes this.
  7. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    I think you're being a little rough on yourself regarding the vocals... I think the lead vocals are fine! The lyrics are very good....the instrumentation is good......the "feel" is all there......I enjoyed it.

BoneDigger likes this.
  8. BoneDigger

BoneDigger Electromatic

Dec 7, 2015
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks! That's very nice of you to say!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.