A new and unusual experience!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by audept, Feb 3, 2020.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    There is always room in my life for a new and unusual experience. Yesterday afternoon I went to a gay Jewish wedding. Mrs Audept had been friends and workmates with 2 guys for 35 years and I had become friends with them too. Last year they decided to get married and Yesterday (02/02/2020) was the big day. The wedding took place at a rooftop bar in central Sydney. The ceremony was mainly in Hebrew, so I didn’t have a clue what was going on most of the time, but the key parts and vows were in English. Mrs Audept was assigned to read one of the blessings. I felt a little out of place, I was one of the few straight guys in attendance and stood out for having hair on top of my head, none on my face, and wearing socks with my shoes. After the ceremony was over the DJ turned up the sound system to blast levels with the full ‘80s disco repertoire: Gloria Gaynor, Village People and The Weather Girls (It’s raining Men). The sub-woofers were running at 7.3 on the Richter Scale and conversation was nearly impossible. I installed myself on the most comfy lounge in the room, beckoned one of the waiters over and slipped him a serious tip. “Keep the Pinot Noir coming and I’ll be very happy”!. After a while a younger gay guy came and sat down next to me and said “Are you here by yourself, would you like some company?” I was both embarrassed and a little bit flattered at the same time. “I’m here with my wife, the lady in the orange dress with matching hair”, I replied. Mrs Audept spotted what was happening and was bursting with laughter at the look on my face, she thought it was hysterically funny. “You’ve still got it” she said. “Yeah, but the wrong people want it” I replied.

I had met one of the bridegroom’s younger sister earlier and she made a bee-line for me, ignoring the defensive perimeter of empty Pinot glasses I had set up. She had only arrived from Europe that morning and was suffering a combination of jet-lag and over-consumption of alcohol! She was wearing a very low-cut dress with an under-sized bra suffering from containment issues. I couldn’t remember her name so I dubbed her “Storm in a D-cup”. She grabbed my hand, hauled me off the couch and dragged me outside onto the rooftop terrace. “I hear that you’re in the music biz” she slurred “you must have a joint you can share with me” For the second time in a few minutes I had to admit I was boringly straight. “You should go and talk to those 2 guys lurking furtively near the shrubbery” I suggested. “Follow your nose”

By now the Pinot Noir was taking effect. I snuggled in close to Mrs A for protection and said “you’re looking smoking hot in that dress” She gave me THAT look and suggested we go home early. And so we did………

A memorable night out always has a happy ending!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Waxhead, JC higgy, Henry and 16 others like this.
  2. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Would you call that broadening your horizons without leaving home?
    At least you "still got it"! And know who to leave with :D

section2 and audept like this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Great story, and it sounds like you had a blast!

section2 and audept like this.
  4. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I should have checked out the sub-woofers, they were impressive!

5. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    That is a great story....with a great ending:D;););)

audept likes this.
  6. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    ROFL! Who knew, what a party boy! ;-)

larryb and audept like this.
  7. What a nice complete story. Usually i get up and read the news feed, which was mostly super bowl nonsense. This story was short and a great read. Perhaps you are in the wrong buisness. I dont know of too many writers that suffer hearing loss.

audept likes this.
  8. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Central Florida
    What an excellent, funny story to start the day!! It sounds like it was a blast and who doesn't like a happy ending.

audept likes this.
  9. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Great story

audept likes this.
  10. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    You can tell that story at dinner parties for years to come.
    I like it that mrs Audept enjoyed watching you squirm from across the room.

audept likes this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Great story! Many years ago, my drummer and I were walking around downtown on a night off with nothing to do. We walked by a notorious gay club and he was like “let’s go in and see what it’s like in there!”. I was self-centeredly thinking “oh my gosh, I’m gonna get eaten up in here.....”. Lol. So we walk in and sit down and order a drink. Lots of guys all over, dancing......talking.....drinking.........I sat and took it all in.....and took it all in.......and look over and this guy had sidled up next to my drummer.......I sat there and nursed my drink until it was gone. Finally I looked at my drummer and was like “okay, can we go?”.

We got out and I was like “nobody even TALKED to me!”. Lol!! I’m a straight dude, but I remember actually feeling offended. Hahaha.

Sounds like you had a colorful evening that ended quite well. :)

section2, audept, drmilktruck and 2 others like this.
  12. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Central Florida
    Man, your drummer must be HOT!!:p I understand your feeling offended. My one and only experience was furniture shopping with my wife some 35 years ago. We were greeted by this impeccably dressed, tall, fit, guy with male model good looks, which I even took note of. We were there quite a while with some very attentive service and when we got some alone time I mentioned to my wife I thought he might be sweet on her. She gave me this are you dumb as a stump look and said, "you know he's gay right and the good service has nothing to do with me". I was indeed completely clueless and we bought some furniture and I walk out extremely flattered.

audept and drmilktruck like this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Sounds like you had a great time

audept likes this.
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
  15. tonejam

tonejam Electromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Australia
    Great story. You have great writing skills.

audept likes this.
  16. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Thank you. I write as if I'm speaking to you. It's quite different from writing as if you'reading it, not hearing it. That's purely my personal theory and approach based on 10 years of teaching advanced sound system concepts to young audio trainees.

section2, Ricochet and thunder58 like this.
  17. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Audept, I really enjoyed the story, and was so glad it had a happy ending. :)

audept likes this.
  18. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Lol!:D

And "Storm in a D-cup"- gotta be a song in there somewhere.;)

audept likes this.
  19. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar
    Good story, I know your feeling in the event well.

Old sentimental man telling stories to follow:

I spent a lot of time around gays and Lesbians in my teens and 20’s, all my big brothers friends. He died of AIDS about 40 yrs ago and I did not see his crowd after that.

My youngest remembers well in Jr high asking if she could go to a concert with her best friend and dad because the dad was asked to fill in for the bass player in the band that was sick.

I said sure knowing but not telling her that the band was an all girls lesbian band and the concert was at a Lesbian venue. She was shocked and had a great time.

She just married her big boyfriend and at her wedding were a number of her Lesbian friends she played rugby with at Cal and she met in grad school at Duke.

I really like how much more accepting some of the world has become.

Please note, there was a guitar in my story, but not a Gretsch.

new6659, audept and Merc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.