A little " Home Town " history

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:46 PM.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    So most of you know I'm a native of The Bronx , and that's where my blood and family hail from .... I grew up during " the Wonder Years " in Rockland County NY and I'm still here . The Township I grew up in consist of about 7 hamlets ( or Towns ) and 2 villages . I remember as a kid , riding my bicycle "over to " Blauvelt where I had heard there was a recording studio . Rumor at the time was James Taylor , Joan Beaz and maybe even Janis Joplin had recorded there in the early 60's . As I entered high school in '73 the rumors of this studio became real that I oftened drove by to maybe catch a glimpse of a " rock star "

Although it's long gone and now an Auto Detailing shop , it was sure fun to dream when I was a kid . The building was dedicated as a " landmark " a few years back ..... just thought I'd share
    BTW - See OISO in the background ... that was the Blauvelt Diner . Many a night there after closing a bar with my buddies

IMG_3771.jpg IMG_3772.jpg IMG_3774.jpg IMG_3773.jpg

2. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    hey @audept , by chance would you be familiar with " Brooks Arthur " ?

3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Love stuff like this.

Sometimes our memories of youth, were history in the making.

We just didn't realize it.

thunder58 and new6659 like this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Rich, great post! I'm not familiar with Brooks Arthur. interesting piece of history, though!

thunder58 likes this.
  5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Fun story

My wife grew up in the Bronx, Gouvenor Ave, next door to the Synagogue and close to Van Cortlandt Park and attended PS 95. Her older brother attended the Bronx High School of Science. The family moved to California when she was 12 yrs old. Many of her aunts and uncles all lived within a few blocks and all move to the same area of Calif about the same time.

Thanks for posting your story, I enjoyed it.

thunder58 likes this.
  6. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    That's cool, thanks for posting, finding local history more and more interesting as time goes on.

thunder58 likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    EV started in my home town, South Bend IN. Their first big sale was a PA for Knute Rockne at Notre Dame. My Dad worked there after getting back from WWII, before he went to Studebaker.
    Both sides of my family originally settled in Dowagiac, MI, just down the road from Kalamazoo, home of Gibson.

thunder58 likes this.
  8. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    We're from E204th and Valentine Ave. off the Grand Concoarse …. north Pelham section

radd likes this.
  9. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Fordham Road & Jerome Ave here (originally, anyway). Also, a Science grad.

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.