A Lesson in Marketing

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Duo Slinger, Mar 5, 2021.

1. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    ? I'm at a loss mate. 1/3 of the video was about the lawsuits, so very much on topic. And I wasn't ripping anyone's ideas - on the contrary. Nothing unfriendly here. Maybe taste it before ripping on others yourself?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    knh555 and Duo Slinger like this.
  2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The Industrial Age was a time of mass production and mass consumption. Our post-industrial age is a time of cottage industry and tailored consumption. Pop heroes were a product of mass production, the television networks being the producers of limited content for mass audiences. Radio stations produced at a local/regional level and commanded a mass audience. That ... is what made it possible to have musical heroes at a national level.
    When I was 17, and heard the Eagles play the opening chords to Take It Easy, my friends all heard those same chords at the same time. That, sadly, is not case anymore.

I was in Denver at the time, and there were a lot of radio stations, but most of the youth listened to one or two AM stations which played Top 40, because most cars only had AM radios. We were a captive, mass audience. But there are any number of choices these days. So, when I take a road trip, I’m listening to music off of my iPhone, or possibly from a USB flash drive.

Instead of 3 or 4 TV stations, there are now hundreds of choices. When the Beatles played the Ed Sullivan show, a large percentage of America was watching. That can never happen again. There are too many choices and even if some network arranged a must-see concert, the percentage of the population that saw it would be far lower than the percentage which saw the Beatles on Sullivan. (Which included me, BTW.)

In this time, of almost unlimited choice, the number of heroes from which to choose is almost unlimited. No one, single hero is likely yo emerge. I don’t think that we’ll ever again see artists with the impact of the Beatles or Zeppelin. If Fender, Gibson, or Gretsch decided to promote some artist, it would end up,as a YouTube video watched by the people that found it to be of interest and the impact would probably be minimal.

I miss it. I would love to go out to my pickup, turn on the radio, and hear some quality music, instead of turning on the radio and hearing some third rate DJs indulging overused cliches and occasionally wedging some overplayed classic rock song in between the endless commercials, but I’m not holding my breath.

IMHO, there is an upside. Indeed, we no longer have the guitar heroes of the past, but we do have a lot more variety than we used to have and a lot more choice. With the entry of a few letters of text into YouTube, I can watch a video of Jerry Reed, back when he was playing up a storm, and then watch Clapton, Page or any number of other players. If you want some inventive solos, check out David Jenkins from Pablo Cruise.

I don’t think we’ll ever turn back the hands of time. I grew up in the Rock era and it was great, but we cannot go back t9 that era. The circumstances have changed and it’s a different world.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  3. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Is part of the issue also a shrinking market? I kind of feel like the 60's,70's,80's generation who are getting older were the peak of guitar interest. The younger crowd is perhaps more challenging to capture.

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Lets take a step back guys ( attn : @Synchro )

5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    lets take a step back guys ( attn : @Synchro )

Duo Slinger and stevo like this.
  6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I don’t know why, but lately a lot of threads have become contentious. This is not going to be allowed to continue. We can, and do disagree, but we can disagree while maintaining respect for others.

The number of posts reported has gone off the charts in the last couple of weeks. In almost every case, these are posts made by newer members that show up, guns-a-blazin’ and looking to start trouble. This is a peaceful forum, and it’s going to remain a peaceful forum. If we have to ban a handful of troublemakers, I have no problem with that.

As for the majority of forum members who play by the rules; the backbone of the forum; keep reporting troublesome posts. Thunder and I can’t read every post, so you are our eyes and ears. We appreciate your support, because we could not keep this forum on the rails without your cooperation.

There are plenty of online forums where flame wars are the rule of the day. Apparently a handful of newer members think that G-T should be like that, but it isn’t going to happen.

7. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    ...you know 2020 had the highest sales of guitars ever, right? The pandemic has left a lot of us bored, adrift, out of luck and out of hope and out of fs to give. So, a lot of us have picked up the guitar, as something to do, something to cope... and at the end of this hopefully things look different. We are the market now, and if you look at Fender's "Which guitar should you pick" quiz ads that show up on Instagram some people are doing very well in their marketing. That's how you capture an individualistic (at least in their heads) market: make the ads tailored to them.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  8. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Exactly! I brought up Harley a couple posts ago, because that's the road I see Gibson going down now. They have to work themselves out of this corner before they end up like Harley, with ever lower sales each year for a market that is literally dying.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Ha ha - yes noticed after I wrote mine. But confirmation that it's a good comparison.

Duo Slinger likes this.
  10. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    If that's the case, it doesn't seem that shrinking market / demographic is the reason. And it seems to be even more of an indication that the turnaround is squarely on Gibson's shoulders.

Rmccamey and Duo Slinger like this.
  11. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Precisely. It isn't a shrinking guitar market (though that's what it was a few years ago). It's a shrinking Gibson market. It's like how there are plenty of people who want to ride a motorcycle, but not a lot of people who want to ride a Harley, for all the reasons that have been discussed. It's on Gibson, they're outta excuses.

Rmccamey likes this.
  12. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Maybe, but I'm thinking the current sales boom really is just a bubble. Once the pandemic's over, the numbers will drop way back down reflecting the "real" market. And that market is shrinking.

We're also going to see a whole bunch of used "pandemic guitars" for sale on craigslist and e-bay around the country. All those people that "tried it out" because they were home bored won't stick with it once they can go to a movie or a restaurant.

I dunno, I'd like to see everybody do well and thrive, but I think "consolidation" is going to be the name of the game for the guitar industry pretty soon.

13. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    That's a pretty depressing outlook, but I can't disagree with it. We'll see, I guess. But, figure we will get at least a 10% boost in guitar players, since out of the 90% that give up we'll get some people who stick to it, and that's more than before.

14. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    At least it's "just guitars". I saw an interview with a vet who said that local pet adoption services were out of animals during this COVID era. I thought that was pretty cool. Then they asked him if he thought they would get a lot of returns after we all go back to "normal" and of course no one knows. It makes me sad to think of pets getting dumped like that...but guitars would be different.

DennisC and Duo Slinger like this.
  15. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Well, I'd like to think I'm trying to be "realistic" rather than "depressing", but then again, it is Monday ... o_O

MotorCentaur and Duo Slinger like this.
  16. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Yeah... I also got a covid dog. I'm never giving her up though.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  17. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Ain't that the truth.

18. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Oops... made a double... I don't know what's up with that, I didn't type it twice. Bug?

19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I hope so. We need some fresh blood and we need another generation of players that are. at the very least, familiar with some of the great music that has come before. It's an every changing landscape. Forty years ago, MTV changed music from being a strictly auditory sensation to being a video and audio sensation. The performers changed and the music changed. I thought that the world was ending. :)

But, we got through it. Brian Setzer's exaggerated pompadour was very video friendly and Stevie Ray Vaughan actually launched his career because of a David Bowie video. Clapton did an MTV Unplugged concert and gave Blues a new lease on life. I don't see any way that we can go back to the days when Top 40 radio was king and one hit song could make you a household name, but artistry has been part of the human experience throughout history, and I doubt that we'll ever see the end of it.

The question remains as to the form that artistic expression will take. Personally, I don't find looped and sampled products to be all that appealing and I would suspect that there will always be like-minded people out there, creating music that comes from the heart, and is not simply the product of some audio editing software. And that's where the guitar has its greatest strength. It is a very personal instrument and allows us to express ourselves very directly.

Duo Slinger likes this.
  20. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Amen. Well, if I am granted a gift of creativity some day, your wish may come true.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.