A Humbucker for that Tele Bridge Sound?

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by DougWheeler74, Dec 3, 2020.

1. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    I have a G2622 Streamliner with a single coil pickup for the neck which I like. However, the Broad’Tron for the bridge pickup leaves me without enthusiasm. I traded my MIM Tele to get the Gretsch. No regrets there but I do miss the Tele from time to time. I play in the neck position almost exclusively but was wondering, is there a humbucker I could put in the bridge position that would get close to a Tele bridge pickup sound? I do realize that they are different beasts, but what if?

2. Stratiner

Stratiner Electromatic

Just a guess - P 90? Not exactly, but a starter idea. And possibly depends on the aesthetic you will accept.

GlenP likes this.
  3. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I think it's impossible to guess how close to the Tele bridge PU sound you can get. It's likely that sound is a combination of the pickup and the bridge plate influence.

Easy possibilities are some single-coil that fits the HB mount, like the GFS P-90.
    Or some HB wired for coil split.
    Or fabricate some way to mount a single coil pickup.

Stefan and Merc like this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You need a single coil to get a single coil sound.

Ricochet, GlenP, Stefan and 1 other person like this.
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I don’t know how true it is but that’s what I’ve read about the combination together. Part of what gives the Tele bridge its sound is because it’s mounted to the bridge plate,

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Hi Doug

Are you wanting a humbucker bridge up that sounds like a single coil Tele pup?
    If so, I think it'll be difficult to find one.

Most people (like me) go for humbuckers specifically because they're different to single coils.
    If I want single coil tone (and noisy humm) I'll use single coils :)

I swapped in the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded humbucker set into my Tele Deluxe.
    The bridge pup is a JB (SH-4) humbucker - a great one.

It retains the bite and sparkle of a Tele single coil bridge tone but is much better than any single coil imo.
    I can also split coil these SD humbuckers for standard Tele single coil tones.

What value pots are in your Streamliner?
    Single coils perform best with 250k.
    Humbuckers need 500k.

If you're not happy with your Broadtron bridge pup it could be because there's 250k pots in your guitar - they will make the humbucker overly dark sounding

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    DougWheeler74 likes this.
  7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I have a Classic at the bridge of my Cabronita Tele and it still sounds like a Tele to me. The only thing I'm missing is that bell-like tone you get with the traditional Tele B+N combo (think Muddy Waters "You Can't Lose What You Ain't Never Had") because the other pickup is also a Classic.
    That's OK, I have another Tele with the proper goods for that.

8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'd look for someone who can make you a tele pickup in humbuckwr amount. I know next to nothing about how pickups are built but I believe the tele bridge has some additional plate underneath.

Merc likes this.
  9. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’d add a TV Jones Classic Filtertron.
    Won’t sound exactly like a tele bridge pickup, but it’ll sound awesome.
    Bright and twangy.

10. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I don't know if that's true either but recently came across an interesting video on an early 60's "strato-tele" that suggests otherwise. Start at 6:45

Merc likes this.
  11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I have the Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB combo in my Klein Blue GFS Tele and it sounds great and still sounds like a Tele.

GlenP and Waxhead like this.
  12. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    On Reverb and Amazon you can find adapter plates that allow you to mount a real Tele bridge pickup in a humbucker route. Several "boutique" makers also make alnico pole magnet single coils in humbucker shells; and if you want to keep the humbucking effect - how about a Fralin Twangmaster (no personal experience)? And last but not least a TV Jones T-Armond (which can be found in a HB-mount version) should also come reasonably close to a Tele tone...

Merc likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I had a very cheap POS import guitar from the '60s that was visually very Gretsch like. It had what looked like Gibson style buckers that were in reality single coils with an empty spot where the second coil would/should have been. Your best bet might be a split coil humbucker where you can switch one of the coils off or do a series/parallel switching scheme with them.

section2 and Randy99CL like this.
  14. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    The Tele bridge pickup is a weird bird. With the steel mounting plate underneath and the bridge plate above, the magnetic lines of flux must be distorted (compared to others).

I've seen reviews that got me interested in the Seymore Duncan P-Rails HB pickups. Three tone options: HB, P-90 or single-coil all in one pickup.
    Seymour Duncan P Rail | Seymour Duncan

And I got a fantastic G&L ASAT Classic when it was a SDOTD at MF for $299. I like it more than the Classic Vibe and think it's very close to the quality of my MIM Strat, IOW excellent.
    Instead of trying to mod a totally different guitar to sound like a Tele, just buy a good Tele clone.
    ASAT Main A.JPG
    Edit: there are many here who agree: you need to own a Tele, or three! There is no substitute. LOL sometimes I think this should be named the Gretsch/Telecaster forum.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    StillHollow, G5422T, GlenP and 5 others like this.
  15. dr. love

dr. love Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Texas
    Magnetron maybe?

Henry likes this.
  16. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Central Florida
    +1 on the single coil. Check with TVJ and see if you can get their T-Armond in the Broadtron rout.

TSims1, DougWheeler74 and wabash slim like this.
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    As it's been said many times before---Leo got it right the first time.

navigate40, RomanS and Randy99CL like this.
  18. jml77

jml77 Electromatic

I would go for a classic filtertron, keep the gretsch vibe, twangy clear and very different to the broadtrons that are stock in the 2622.

19. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

This is what I would do.

Or this:

10B6DAEE-5A45-48DE-B73A-BCDE172BF09C.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    RG7X likes this.
  20. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I have british Gordon Smith humbuckers in three of my guitars.
    They are splittable and I find the split position on the bridge pu to sound very much like a Tele. Super-twangy.
    The humbucker itself is mid-output and tonally in the PAF field.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.