Join Gretsch-Talk Today

A Dream Came True! - My First US-Fender

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by dreamingGretsch, May 16, 2017.

1. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    A lot of you may have read about this here!

https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/im-about-to-pull-the-trigger.161363/#post-942129

It's always been a dream of mine to have a US-Fender. Whatever it is. I've always been able to afford MiM's, Squiers and even assembled partscasters. And I had a surprising opportunity to play and be able to have one of these!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My new American Professional Telecaster!

[​IMG]

Now here's my thoughts: This thing is lightweight. 2pc alder body with nice grains. I've always loved straight grain pattern lines. And It almost weighs as little as my thinline partscaster but only a little bit more being a solid body. Its balanced well and doesnt neck dive. Which is great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    teleaddicted, Telechamp, Ando and 7 others like this.
  2. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    Another thing I noticed though was. Its not that much of a step up from the Baja I used to own. I know that Baja and other classic models are the top MiM's, but it feels like the Baja is just as good as this, quality-wise and sound-wise. Different feel for sure. But my Baja was a boat anchor.

Dont get me wrong this one feels solid and really well built and I can really feel that american quality, it feels like its built with quality in mind. Slightly rolled edges, fret work, fit and finish. All great! But if you're coming from a MiM Std, then the AmPro is really a few steps ahead of the game. Lighter, better looking, quality wood. One of the good ones I've ever tried.

The neck is really nice. Not that much of a difference from a modern C. It starts slim and then kind of gets fuller, but not that much. There is meat, but if you're looking for that big ole porterhouse steak meat, it is not. I like it anyway. Better than nothing. I would love to have the Baja thickness though. I also wanted a rosewood board because i really love the 60's look and have plans on changing the brass ones to steel threaded saddles, but the ones I tried were kind of meh. It doesnt feel as alive or whatever. It didnt speak to me. So. But This one sang. I guess I have another reason to get a 60's tele with double binding. Haha. Maple is great though. Snap and twang all day.

The hardware feels nice. Bridge and saddles gives off that tele twang. Not sure about the string angle. It feels like it's a 90deg break angle. Not sure how that will translate to intonation, playability or something. I dont have the knowledge to assess that yet. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Treble bleed is nice to have. Pickups have great tone and voicing and very responsive. I dont usually like the neck pickup. 99.9% of the time I want to pull out the neck pickup in my tele's as Im not on it anyway but this one is okay. Maybe a little bit of height adjustment, I'm gonna get there. Though I dont have a basis, a song or a tone in my head to replicate what a good tele neck pickup should sound like. Any suggestions/ideas?

Took off that super light strings that feels as spaghetti-like as the Fender logo, and changed it with 11's. Better. Feels like its going to fight me. It better should.

[​IMG]

No adjustments whatsover. Neck is straight, no buzz, intonation is spot on with 11's, checked string action, and the saddle radius. Great, no need to turn a screw or anything. Nice set up! Its actually weird not to do any set up on a new guitar. Well, maybe in a few days i'll mess with it when it's all settled.

[​IMG]

Only a few gripes. The neck is sooo pale white. I want to put shoe polish on it so badly but what heck, its new, its my first us-fender, I'll just play with it and hope it turns vintage amber. Feels nice, but it looks okay, I can live with it, but I really want that tint the Classic Vibe has.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I really hate these modern staggered tuners. I have acquired a technique from a friend of mine on how to string with a vintage tuner, cutting lengths and all. It doesnt work with the modern tuners. And I have less tuner pole heights to turn around on. I have pricked my fingers thrice as i was re-stringing. These modern tuners will have to go asap.

So there. I hope you enjoyed reading on my thoughts about the guitar. Its lovely, with an awesome feel and tone. Its definitely a great guitar to play straight as stock. Really well built and thought of.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    JimB1122, JC higgy, Henry and 2 others like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Great review my friend . Congratulations and enjoy your new Tele . Your photos are great too ...........mmmmm , you've got me thinking:)

dreamingGretsch likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    Congrats and enjoy. Great Tele. I have one just like it!

6. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats. That is the ultimate Tele my friend.

dreamingGretsch and Aymara like this.
  7. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

Nice post, Happy for ya that you feel that way. Id love a Telecaster, I have tried so many of them but havent find the right one.. or shall we say...one I can afford lol. CoNGrATs man!!!!!!!!!!;);););)

(Ps, interesting thought about the Baja, I actually liked that model a lot, might look a used one?) ;)

8. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Congratulations! And thanks for the review and photos :)

9. GuitarJunkie

GuitarJunkie Gretschie

Feb 22, 2016
    Georgia
    Nice! Never thought I wanted a Tele...then I bought one and it's pretty much my favorite guitar. Even thought about another one myself with different pup combo. I LOVE maple on a guitar that has an old school look.

10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Perfect Tele!!! Congrats!

11. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Congrats, that's a real classy looking beauty.

But when seeing the case ... if there wouldn't be Fender imprinted, I would guess there's a sniper rifle inside :D

12. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Congrats, I remember well my first American Telecaster... 1974!
    Back then there was only the very cheap Japanese versions or the real thing. So at 16 I got a job and financed one... £201.60

I really wish I still had it.

13. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    It's great! I'd prefer a few things over the stock ones, but it's all good.

thunder58 likes this.
  14. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    That's just me. Owning one for 2-3 years (I sold it to fund my wedding!), I can really say that its not that far from the Am Pro or the Am Std. The classic Baja and other models in that series are just really good. Solidly built and nice vintage feel. They are different animals, but may fall on the same category when it comes to quality!

MBERTHOLD likes this.
  15. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    The case is also nice! They are not too heavy, slim and has a really good quality feel to it!

Aymara likes this.
  16. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    Oh man, I wonder where it is now.

17. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    Here it is with its siblings!

I plugged it in, the am pro can hold it's own twang, but that Green Mean Twang Machine can really compete with a growl only a hollow body can give.

[​IMG]

teleaddicted likes this.
  18. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Congrats on your first US Fender!

I appreciate your thoughts about everything, and what you thought were the differences with the MIM line. I had an American Tele a couple of years ago, and I let it go to get a Taylor acoustic. I admit that I miss it.

19. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    The American Professional guitars are exceptional instruments. Congrats of the super Tele!

20. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Nice - these are my new favorite Telecasters. Love the finish. I'm also partial to the traditional blackguards, but these are really my first choice.

21. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Those Baja's are killer, mine weighted about 10 or 11 lbs though which got pretty heavy after a bit ( think Les Paul). I didnt mind it much but some might.