A deal is a deal, some people just don't honor a hand shake deal

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Stefan87, May 3, 2021.

1. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    My son is an environmental biologist, I don't recycle and such, he asked if I don't care about the environment and the earth's future etc, I told him that I wasn't going to be here that long....
    Living in the Northeast of the U.S., a little global warming would not be unwelcome, and as for the rise in sea level, I'm looking forward to having that beachfront property that I can't afford...

2. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Interesting stuff, thanks for posting. I'm a geek about this stuff so I found it interesting. ICE development has pretty much peaked, and there are not many more places to go with it. There is the new Nissan engine with variable compression, which frankly blows my mind that they were able to achieve that. I read about how it works but have since forgotten.

What people forget (all the time, about everything) is that as uncle Milton taught us, there is no such thing as a free lunch. Even ICE development hasn't been 'free' for a few decades, with DI creating it's own set of longevity and maintenance issues for customers in exchange for the initial improved power and efficiency. Luckily most mfgs are finally getting that sorted. That being said, I just bought a new car with port injection (one of only a few available) because I still don't want to deal with DI, and it is every bit as efficient as a DI engine without the down-the-road headaches. Widespread turbos are helping the efficiency cause, but tuning them properly is whole other thing.

Electric and hybrid cars are about as far from a free lunch as you can get, while people act like they are the solution to all the world's problems. The batteries use all kinds of earth minerals that require strip mining with subsequent runoff and toxic processing to produce, as well as requiring trade relationships with enemy states who themselves have little to no environmental regulation, all while having a limited lifespan and needing to be replaced at much shorter intervals than ICEs. There's mass disposal, risk of fire and leakage, all of this toxic mess that needs to be dealt with sooner or later. Plus the power generation required to keep the batteries charged. Put it in the air (though ICEs run crazy clean these days) or put it in the ground, either way you have to pay somehow. I see people in Teslas and such that are so smug because they are helping 'save the planet', all I can do is shake my head and realize ignorance is bliss.

All that to say there is no panacea and it drives me mad to see shallow thinkers who somehow think there is in fact a free lunch.

DennisC likes this.
  3. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    One of my favorite expressions (like how happy I was when I didn't know my girlfriend had a bunch of boyfriends...)
    I believe that electricity is the dirtiest form of energy and while that Tesla may have zero emissions, that power plant burning coal and other fossil fuels does. Wind and solar can help, if we get more of it. I'm one of those rare nuke fans.
    It irks me to have a state emissions inspection after being in the far east and seeing those countries belching soot etc to blacken the sky, the efficiency of my vehicle is statistically insignificant.

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    With respect your attitude is typical of the reason why humanity has reached this point in history.

Your response is all about you. Your desire to have a beach front property. Your liking for a slightly warmer winter. You won't be here in 20 years. You're too lazy to recycle blah blah - all about you. You have ignored the impacts on every other living organism on this planet, including your son.

And that's exactly why far too little, far too late has been/is being done now to turn our collective Titanic around.
    And that's the reason why our generation will be judged extremely harshly by future generations :D

5. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Mostly in jest.

Since I'm 50 feet above sea level, it's not looking good for that beach front property anytime soon.

6. Luthier47

Luthier47 Electromatic

Apr 22, 2021
    East coast USA
    Similar event I will never forget:
    as a vintage motorcycle collector there was an ad in a paper” 1947 Harley with Sidecar” been in storage 40 or more yrs, dad died, time to sell the bike. $2000. 00 obo.

I called that number for 2 weeks….. busy busy busy. When I finally got through, I wanted to tell him that this combination, in near original form was worth 20 or more times that amount. But all he did was curse and slam down the phone…

7. doc538

doc538 Electromatic

Sep 20, 2017
    Massachusetts
    That sucks, A deal is a deal. The guy is a Jerk, not a nice person as a nice person would have told the other buyer that it was on hold for a few days. personally I always have either the cash or access to it when shopping for on the spot buying. Once went to look at a used car I was 15 mins away from the dealer, I arrived, liked it and put cash on the desk, seller told me that he was waiting for another buyer coming from 2 hours away who had called before I showed up and he would not sell it until they had a chance because of the distance they were coming, Pissed me off but I understood he was doing right by the other buyer, and they did buy the car.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.