A deal is a deal, some people just don't honor a hand shake deal

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Stefan87, May 3, 2021.

1. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    It's really frustrating. I've been there.

But that's why when I deal with people I always take the high road and treat people the way I would want to be treated;

1) Be honest
    2) Be transparent and upfront about everything
    3) Be on time
    4) Follow all CDC guidelines and be safe (that's a newer one of course but I err on the side of caution.

This is especially true if you live a rural area or spread out state!

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  2. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    38687893-FDD1-4CEE-BD18-A62D39D7C7BF.jpeg If it’s a great deal I just go with what’s asked. I feel I’m being insulting asking for less that the already great price. If I want to make a lower offer I wait until the add has been up for a few days. Kind of your story. I agreed to pay $1800 for my j45 and while I was driving to get it he called and said he got the full offer of $2000 and could I go a little closer. I offered $1840. She’s awesome

thunder58, new6659 and Stefan87 like this.
  3. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    He's just a low life then. Sorry, but that's just a fact.

I once walked into a MusicGo Round and saw a visibly used Boss pedal (don't recall which) for $55 and after looking it over and testing it, I said, "I'll buy it". As he was ringing it up, another guy happened to notice it and said, "that's too low". He then proceeded to remove the sticker and put on another are re-price it for $99 right in front of me as the transaction was taking place. I said, "huh? What are you doing?" He said, "we should never have priced it at this, you'll have to pay $95 if you want it". I said no thanks. I complained to the manager who had no sympathy. I said I was never going back into that store. I haven't.

On the other hand, the guy who sold me my Taylor 710BCE was a stand up guy. It was on ebay for $1800 with no offers and I knew it was a really good starting price. I reached out and said, "Strange that no one has bid on it yet with only one day left. I'm sure someone will snap it up and it will go up in price. I can't bid on it now but will have the money in a week." He said, "if no one bids on it, you get it for $1800. You're first in line". Strangely, no on bid on it - should have gone for $2500 or more. Anyhow, he let me buy it. Said several people reached out after the auction and offered more but he was sticking to his word.

So there are honest and stand up people in this world. The good ones are encouraging.

4. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Just hire Jason Statham to be your Transporter when you go shopping for a guitar, :). (There is a YouTube movie snippet for that, but I won’t post it here, something to the effect of “no changes to the deal” you get the idea, that was before he got fast and furious, or maybe he was all along?

Sabato, Stefan87 and Archtops like this.
  5. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Well, if it's Craig's List or something like that, the problem is people say "they'll get it Tuesday" and you never hear from them again. I guess you had an actual meet and greet. In that case I would have at a minimum notified you that I'm back to the original price. I've had people who are supposed to meet at a time and place just two hours after the conversation ... and never show and never respond to text or email. Like most things, it's these idiots that spoil the "handshake" for the rest of us. For those deals it's usually first come first serve. However, if I become convinced someone is real I will wait it out.

There is also risk when you negotiate a deal below what it should be. The seller feels lowballed and someone is waving the cash in his face. Not sure if that applies in your instance.

Stefan87 likes this.
  6. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    All good here Stefan.

Trust no one!

And never forget, money is king!

If you believe in providence, the Tele you are supposed to have, is waiting for you!

Best,

BIB.

Stefan87, Archtops and GlenP like this.
  7. afire

afire Country Gent

I've had a couple of great scores end this way even after paying. And it wasn't that I wasn't paying a decent price, just somebody evidently offered more. In neither case did the seller give me a chance to match, or even let me know what was going on. I just got refunds and had to ask why. And in one of those cases the guy who bought them (very rare and pretty valuable 1920s art deco cigarette lighters) out from under me was a guy I knew and he knew that he was screwing me (specifically) over. I gave him a piece of my mind, but there wasn't much more I could do. T

Yep, that's just how it is, unfortunately.

Stefan87 likes this.
  8. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Deals don't wait.
    Always bring the cash (maybe keep it in your glovebox, if you are hesitant of the meeting spot), try to meet in neutral location.
    Go to 3 cash machines if you have to on a weekend.
    No deal is done 'till it's a done deal.

Stefan87 and Archtops like this.
  9. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    You must move quickly and get it in your hands. Then you can breathe safely.

10. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    All good answers to your dilemma. If I find something I want/need I’m ready to stick cash in that handshake. Sorry that happened because it’s totally disappointing and guts a person. Been there done that.
    Fortunately there is the “one” right around the corner. Have faith you’ll find it and I know you’ll be more prepared to make that deal when it happens. Best of luck!

Stefan87 likes this.
  11. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I'm sorry this happened but as a seller I have had tons of people promise they were going to buy something and then not show up or show up offering less than they offered.

If you don't have cash on you ask if the person takes an alternate form of payment (Paypal, etc...) before you go look at it. Don't expect them to wait on you to come back because I can tell you from experience that has actually happened about 1/30 times for me.

I had one person in 20+ years of online selling offer me a deposit and the guy came back a few days later wanting his deposit back because he couldn't come up with the money.

Chances are the seller didn't want a deposit, he wanted the whole thing and the deal done as a lot of people are busy and don't want to wait around holding deposits, taking payments, etc... if someone else will just pay them the whole amount.

MotorCentaur and Stefan87 like this.
  12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I've never seen that happen, that's awful. Hopefully there's a Karma element, alienating a customer with cash in hand on the hope that you can get more money is not a good long term strategy.

I've had eBay auctions that I've won and the seller cancelled the sale, saying the item was no longer available (i.e. he got a higher price elsewhere, or at least thought he could.) One was a GDP member (although not for very long thankfully.)

Stefan87 and stevo like this.
  13. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I just had a very pleasant selling experience on Craigslist (after another person attempted a phishing scam ala "cashiers" check for over the price). Buyer was on time, had cash, we both made a good deal.

My wife sells real estate and the deposit is what I call "good faith" money that the buyer is serious. Somehow, when they back out they always want it back. They don't always get it back (seller can keep it) and sometimes when faced with losing tens of thousands of dollars they complete the deal.

Stefan87 likes this.
  14. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    One thing I have learned, is that it's a buyers market and look hard enough or be patient enough, what you want drops in your lap.

Stefan87 likes this.
  15. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Re: Music store - they did a few other squirrely things that contributed, but that was the one that ended it for me. Like offering $50 for a 4x12 Crate cab that they would turn for $350 minimum but saying they would barely break even. What? I see the garbage cabs you're selling for $350. Tell me how making $300 on it is "barely breaking even"? I could go on but best I don't...

Re ebay: Same here - had that one or two times. It is technically allowed to cancel your auction for any reason you want I guess. But a deal is a deal and that's not cool.

Stefan87 and Sabato like this.
  16. DasherF

DasherF Gretschie

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    I feel the same...I've, too, lost a deal here and there due to a money-grubbing assumptive person..."this guy's got the money, the other guy 'pro'ly' doesn't"....gets me to the bone...
    Then there's the case of a bass I loaned an old coworker...a guy gave him "good money" for it...had a few...right there with you...
    In the consolation department, "at least" (I don't like those 2 words, sorry) he had the goodness to contact you to let you know, rather than "oh, yeah, I sold it...he had the whole $12--..."
    Still...not cool.

Stefan87 likes this.
  17. Fasteddie42

Fasteddie42 Gretschie

Sep 18, 2018
    tip of the mitt
    I had a deal set for my dream amp last week.

Agreed to make the several hour trip in two days time (the weekend). Got a text the next day that someone swooped in a paid above asking price...

third time I've missed this model... I'm pretty sure I'll never get another chance.

Stefan87 likes this.
  18. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I really don't know the Ebay "rules", but I once won a bid on an SUV and the guy said that he had sold it to a local dealer because no one had bid on it, but when I did he was technically bound to sell it to me, I let him off the hook (if he was actually on one!)

Stefan87 and stevo like this.
  19. afire

afire Country Gent

Okay, that was a crappy thing for the sales guy to do. But of the two guys in that story, I can say that the other guy would be the one I would really be itching to choke to death.

20. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yea, it really wasn't the sales guy who was the problem in that situation.

thunder58 and Stefan87 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.