A deal is a deal, some people just don't honor a hand shake deal

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Stefan87, May 3, 2021.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Very sorry for the rant but i have just had the deal of the year ripped straight out from under me from someone who can't honor a hand shake deal.

I found a tele forsale on Saturday night, the add had very little description but i saw it was an american special, i asked for a pic of the serial number to be sure, he had it up for 1200 with four pedals, strap, the bag and other bits and pieces, i was the first person to enquire about it amd the first person to look at it.

It was mint, barely played and still had the plastic on the pick up covers, being the nice person i am a told him what it was and that i have been looking for one for awhile now, i asked if he was negotiable on the price, i offered 1000 and he accepted, we shock hands and i offered him a deposit as i couldn't get to the bank until Tuesday, he said he isnt in a hurry and no need for a deposit as he wanted it to go to someone who would enjoy it and he felt that it was me when i enquired about it, so the deal was done and i was so excited about it.

Then i have just got a message saying that another keen person has taken it for the asking price so the guitar is now sold... I replied saying g we had a deal, i asked you for a deposit and you said no and i should have had first reply in the asking price... his reply was apologies i assumed you only had 1000, i'm done now and im sure another will come up....

Yes i acknowledge the fact he apologized but thays not good enough, a deal is a deal and I should have gotten first right on a counter offer, i am gutted at this hence the rant.

But anyway, hope everyone else is havong a good day.

Merc, ZackyDog, loudnlousy and 14 others like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Don’t think for a minute I don’t feel your pain, but in our wonderful civilised society money talks and BS walks.

I had a handshake agreement to have a house build. Ask me how that is working out for me?!

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  3. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Sometimes I think we have to recognize a really good deal. When I see them I buy at the price. No offers, no delays. simply reduce the room for missing out. Can't get to the bank until Tuesday - use Paypal.
    Many, many times I have told the wife about a great deal on ebay or elsewhere only to see it gone next day.
    Back your judgement - you'll never lose much. Hesitate, get greedy and you stand to lose it all.

4. JCW513

JCW513 Gretschie

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    People stink... To me your word is everything. I don't care if its my dad or grandma or someone buying a Tele from me on craigslist.. It sucks... But if you want something you can't wait. I've also learned that the hard way.

5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    @Stefan87 I feel your pain. Similar things have happened to me also. What really hurts is when it is done by people you thought were friends and could be trusted. So sorry for your awful experience with the worst side of human nature. I strongly believe in Karma, so he's going to suffer some consequence, but more importantly you will achieve a much better outcome in the near future.

Merc, ZackyDog, Archtops and 3 others like this.
  6. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for the replies guys, Im just whinging really.

I will say though that i was happy to pay the asking price with out hesitation but like i said in another post if you don't ask the answer is always no so threw the offer out and he accepted if he said no then cool would've done the deal for 1200, and i couldn't have physically paid over the weekend, due to our banks previously being hacked and cleaned out we only keep so much on cards and our main and house savings in account that is only accessible by going into the bank in person so paypal or bank transfer was not an option but did have a deposit which i offered but the guy said wasn't necessary.

I guess at the end of the day it just wasn't meant to be, unfortunate for me and just a reminder that to some people 'their word' doesn't mean much, i know it's a bit old fashion but in saying that the gentleman was retired and he said the money wasn't that big of deal he just wanted it to go to someone who would've appreciated it.

7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    let'm try that in The Bronx ............

( I grew up with the phrase ...." yea , go ahead ....see what happens " )

Jeff67, doc538, L Robbins and 6 others like this.
  8. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    It would have been decent if the Seller had called you and said look I know we agreed on a price but I’ve just had a full price cash offer and if you’ll match it I’ll sell to you.
    As a Seller I’ve been on the other end where people said they would Buy but never show up. But as you say, you offered a deposit so not the same thing really.
    Sorry you had to go through this. Hope you end up getting the guitar you want at some point.

Merc, Bob Perrone, juks and 1 other person like this.
  9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    That sucks, Stefan. I agree that a deal’s a deal, even if a better one comes along before it’s final. However like Robbie I’ve been on the other end where the buyer doesn’t follow through.

Our clinic hired two people recently, both accepted our offer quickly. One called within days and said her “dream job for herself and her family came up and she just couldn’t turn it down.” On the one hand, she did notify us quickly so we could start a new search. OTOH, she could “turn it down,” she just chose not to. Secondly she lost credibility by playing the “best for my family” card. At least there’s consolation that if she had joined us, I’m pretty sure she would have left when the next “dream job” came along.

Sorry you lost out on a good guitar deal, luckily there’ll be more coming.

10. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    Looking at this dispassionately, and without any prejudice, it looks like some one came along with the cash and bought there and then. IT's always the case of money talks. sorry you missed your deal, it's happened to myself.

Mr Swisher and Stefan87 like this.
  11. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Uh ... bummer!

I guess people are just regularly pretty ... not so great. People suck.

Man wird öfter eines Wahreren, nur selten eines Besseren belehrt

is a saying in german (= you more often learn something truer than something better), which applies pretty often.

I got fed the same spoon a few times, and, other than with people I know personally, I don't do any handshaking any more.

Jeff67 and Stefan87 like this.
  12. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I understand where you are coming from, it’s happened to me also. I also have learned from experience that the deal ain’t over until it’s in your hand and money has exchanged. People flake out on both sides of deals. Sellers and buyers. I always go to look at something I’m buying with cash in hand. Sellers remorse is as real as buyers remorse. If you would have had the money on you this post would be a NGD right now. It doesn’t mean it’s ok what he did. I just had a deal on a small amp, fender pro junior. One hours away for $300. It was on Facebook marketplace. I messaged the seller 3 times and you can tell he saw the msg but he never replied. The amp is still for sale so I’m not sure what his issue was. Fortunately I picked one up from a forum member and it was in better condition so the universe had my back on that deal. This could also be the case for you. Maybe a better guitar will come along, keep your eyes open

loudnlousy, Stefan87 and Archtops like this.
  13. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Sorry that happened to you. Lesson learned. Theres a difference between what we think is right and what we experience in the day to day. Dont let it make you hard hearted. you’ll get your American tele someday.

Stefan87, Archtops and RG7X like this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    At least you didn't lose a deposit.

A man's word (and handshake) once was his bond, his gaurantee. Sadly, those days are gone.

As Agent Muldar taught us, "Trust No One."

15. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Bummer, the situation kind of reminds of an old Popeye cartoon phrase: “I will gladly pay you Tuesday.”

16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Sorry for the situation.

I’ve been on both sides of those types of deals, sellers who back out and buyers who don’t show when I’ve held an item for them.

The seller was inexperienced, not necessarily a bad person. If it was me you were dealing with I would have said, “ If it is not sold by Tuesday it is yours for the reduced price you offered.”

Bob Perrone and Stefan87 like this.
  17. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    My question is, If the seller had agreed to sell it, why was he still showing it?

18. It irks me as well. If i tell someone i am going to do something i do it. Even if things go off schedule, i do what ever i can to be on time, or hold up to what i promised. If for any reason i run late, i call. It truly bothers me if i cant. That goes for people that are buying and selling. If they dont want to sell, take down the add. If they want to meet, then meet. Ignoring emails for something you have listened is just wrong. And since its 2021 and even old folks like me know how to email and text and most have it on their phones, there is no reason not to be prompt in these matters. Now, i know there are some that are not ball and chained to their phones Good for them. But why cant you check your emails any least once a day on your 1995 hewlit packerd computer? These are the rules we agreed on when buying and selling anything became a thing.

Now “Get off my lawn!”

Stefan87 and Archtops like this.
  19. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    I agree that a hand shake deal should be honored....however, as a seller, I have been burnt one time too many times by the buyer backing out of those handshakes.

As a result, anytime I sell something via FB Marketplace, Craig's List or other similar advertising sites I clearly state that the first person to arrive and pay cash (or, Venmo, Paypal, etc.) will get the item. I won't "hold" for someone to come back later, I won't take a deposit (I've returned those when the buyer found something else, cause I'm a decent guy). I'm fine if they want to negotiate a better price...but, if they haven't paid, then I am clear that we don't have a deal. If someone calls and says "can I can't be there until tomorrow, will you hold it, I tell them that I will be glad to take their phone number and call them in the case someone else gets there first....... First one with the money to finalize a sale takes it home. Otherwise, the item is still for sale.

Marko60, Stefan87, juks and 1 other person like this.
  20. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    If it is an online listing for an item and they say first with cash gets it I don't even bother replying. When you have a 2+ hour drive to look at it it just isn't worth it. I've been burned too many times.

Stefan87, Archtops and nasonm like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.