A day to feel blessed and no-load tone pot?

driftinduke

Electromatic
Nov 29, 2021
Norfolk, UK
As a newbie, I owned up today on the newbie part of this forum to ordering some Mojo Pickups 'Mojotron' pups, Filter'tron clones, because I wasn't too enamoured with the Broadtron pups in my new 5220 for the first few days. Well, that was until I discovered the NFB circuit on my modded Princeton RI was in the out position, put the NFB back in, I started liking the 5220 as is. So I start thinking should I cancel the pup order or fit them anyway..? Having had vintage Tele pickups from Marc in the past, I knew they should be a major improvement over the mass produced Broadtrons, and lower output too, which is my kind of thing being into 30's, 40's and 50's Country (I also have a G6120 Nashville).

Was browsing the net, as you do, looking for info about best Filtertron setup in advance of when they arrive next year and came across an article on Guitar.com, a Filter'tron Shootout. And which one was their pick for a near vintage Gretsch sound? Yes, the Mojotron, phew! (Actually, they seemed to like all the pickups in the shootout.)

Also been reading today about 'no-load tone pots'. Anyone have any experience on their Gretsch and what value pot and capacitor did you use? I will 100% not be modifying my Nashville, it sounds blooming marvellous as is, but I'm thinking I might as well consider it when I change the pups of the 5220?

The shootout article. Filter’Tron Shootout: Gretsch, House Of Tone, TV Jones, McNelly and more | Guitar.com | All Things Guitar

Last edited:

driftinduke

Electromatic
Nov 29, 2021
Norfolk, UK
Maybe I am wrong but I always thought that the "no loads" have a "real" zero position meaning that "zero" is a true bypass.

From what I understand, that is correct. Listening to A/B comparisons on Youtube, there seems to be a very slightly fuller tone to a no-load tone pot, but there is also a very slight increase in volume, so it could be my brain thinking loudest is best? I also believe some Gretsch guitars have them fitted as standard? In theory, it should be a cleaner signal path, and that is what my ears tell me when listening on YT. Just wondered if anyone had a fair bit of experience with them?

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I used to play a Fender Esquire. In position one of the selctor swith the tone-pot is bypassed completely. On position two the tone-pot is on.
Big difference. Position one is very aggressive and position two sounds like a normal Telecaster bride-pickup. A lot mellower than position one. I would expect the same effect with a no-load-tone-pot.
In fact I ditched the tonepot on my Superstrats completely. There is only one volume on them. Sounds more direct and positively cutting to my ears.

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
No load pot would get you something like what you get with a Hot Rod. More bite, brighter.
As a newbie, I owned up today on the newbie part of this forum to ordering some Mojo Pickups 'Mojotron' pups, Filter'tron clones, because I wasn't too enamoured with the Broadtron pups in my new 5220 for the first few days. Well, that was until I discovered the NFB circuit on my modded Princeton RI was in the out position, put the NFB back in, I started liking the 5220 as is. So I start thinking should I cancel the pup order or fit them anyway..? Having had vintage Tele pickups from Marc in the past, I knew they should be a major improvement over the mass produced Broadtrons, and lower output too, which is my kind of thing being into 30's, 40's and 50's Country (I also have a G6120 Nashville).

Was browsing the net, as you do, looking for info about best Filtertron setup in advance of when they arrive next year and came across an article on Guitar.com, a Filter'tron Shootout. And which one was their pick for a near vintage Gretsch sound? Yes, the Mojotron, phew! (Actually, they seemed to like all the pickups in the shootout.)

Also been reading today about 'no-load tone pots'. Anyone have any experience on their Gretsch and what value pot and capacitor did you use? I will 100% not be modifying my Nashville, it sounds blooming marvellous as is, but I'm thinking I might as well consider it when I change the pups of the 5220?

The shootout article. Filter’Tron Shootout: Gretsch, House Of Tone, TV Jones, McNelly and more | Guitar.com | All Things Guitar

Great article, thanks for sharing! And to be sure - they aren't the only pick, but one of three. But cool that Mojo has landed a good pickup here.

With respect to no load pots, what are you trying to achieve? The idea would be to use the same value pot and cap and when you hit the no load position, you can expect a grittier tone. But I don't know what that would sound like with your pickups. Worst case, you install it and don't use the no load aspect very much. No harm there.

driftinduke

Electromatic
Nov 29, 2021
Norfolk, UK
Thanks loudnlousy and stevo for your replies, brighter with more bite is not normally my thing, greater width of tone and clarity is my thing, but as you say stevo, there is no harm done in putting one in, especially as I'm playing around with the pickups.

I'll try my best and explain what I mean by 'greater width of tone' because words can mean different things to different players. I see it as being able to hear more information, as if more veils have been removed from the source. The fundamental note and the harmonics become easier to hear, therefore the character of the guitar is more transparent and fuller. I'll be a bit controversial now, but this is purely my personal preference:- Old strings can sound dull and lifeless, but new HEX core strings can sound overly bright and both do not appeal to me, whereas I find day old and older ROUND core strings give a balanced fullness. Yes, generally three of the strings are not wound, but even so, I find sets of round core strings well balanced and easier to move from an older set to a new set without wishing I hadn't bothered. I guess I'm mentioning that because I like a full balanced tone most of the time.

Sorry to waffle on...

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Thanks loudnlousy and stevo for your replies, brighter with more bite is not normally my thing, greater width of tone and clarity is my thing, but as you say stevo, there is no harm done in putting one in, especially as I'm playing around with the pickups.

I'll try my best and explain what I mean by 'greater width of tone' because words can mean different things to different players. I see it as being able to hear more information, as if more veils have been removed from the source. The fundamental note and the harmonics become easier to hear, therefore the character of the guitar is more transparent and fuller. I'll be a bit controversial now, but this is purely my personal preference:- Old strings can sound dull and lifeless, but new HEX core strings can sound overly bright and both do not appeal to me, whereas I find day old and older ROUND core strings give a balanced fullness. Yes, generally three of the strings are not wound, but even so, I find sets of round core strings well balanced and easier to move from an older set to a new set without wishing I hadn't bothered. I guess I'm mentioning that because I like a full balanced tone most of the time.

Sorry to waffle on...

So you're looking for a more broadband result - wider frequency response. I can't say if you'll notice much or any difference in your case. But if you've ever tested pot values, going higher and higher - like from 250k to 500k - will increase the brightness of the overall tone. Going to a no load pot is like removing one which theoretically means you get even brighter, as if it were a billion Meg. But the sonic result also depends on your overall system. There is only so bright you can go with a given set of components.

I don't think a no-load will give you a fuller sound but it will possibly increase your brightness when engaged as no load. But if you want a fuller tone with a more punch and all frequencies full on, a different pickup would be the way to go. I chose a SuperTron from TV Jones for this.

driftinduke

Electromatic
Nov 29, 2021
Norfolk, UK
I don't think a no-load will give you a fuller sound but it will possibly increase your brightness when engaged as no load. But if you want a fuller tone with a more punch and all frequencies full on, a different pickup would be the way to go. I chose a SuperTron from TV Jones for this.

Thanks for that stevo. Regards the no-load, I guess one never knows when a brighter sound will be needed, but it would put another arrow in the quiver should I feel the need. As I've already ordered the Mojotron, gonna have to suck it and see...

Latest posts