74 twin reverb review

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by JaredmacNeil90, Oct 12, 2021.

1. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    So it’s been almost a month since I bought my twin reverb and I must say it took some time to adjust to tonal differences between the Mesa and it but man did it ever grow on me .

the twin reverb is a bright amp with lots of top end and the vintage 30s let you hear every little mistake you make. But that being said I quickly found a setting I liked and stuck with it and matched up with the guild and It’s filtertron is just something to hear I now know what all the talk about both are about.

it handles pedals well and the reverb out of this world. I like lots of reverb but need it set at 4-5 before it drowns everything out and the tremolo well it doesn’t work but I knew that and know what the problem is and will be getting it fixed when potato harvesting is over.

there is somethings I don’t like though the reverb gets noisy around 6-7 but then again so is the Mesa so maybe it’s just the way those old beast are. It weighs a ton but no more than the Mesa so it’s nothing I can’t handle on a bad day .
    The push pull pot is absolutely useless I don’t understand why it’s there at least on the Mesa it’s push pull does something useful.
    It’s doesn’t have the bottom end the Mesa has but the Mesa does have a single 15” speaker so it’s boomy. The twin has more high end than the Mesa and that’s where I wasn’t happy with the Mesa because I couldn’t get the top end I wanted .

Overall I’m fairly happy with the twin but find myself changing amps between the fender and Mesa an awful lot and I’m still kind of Partial to my old Mesa .

and now since a have the twin the Mesa will be going away to get a complete service and if it’s been modded brought back to stock .

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I had a Twin many years ago . Great amp , heavy and LOUD ! Congrats on a great choice in gear

JaredmacNeil90 likes this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Ok I had a 1980 Twin I used as a pedal platform for gigs with overdrive/distortion pedals. I agree with your comments and add.....

I've never liked Tremolo and had no use for it.
    For gigging the Twin was too heavy for me even as a strong young guy.
    Dialing in a good clean tones is easy on the Twin but you have to crank it to get any overdrive. And there's nowhere except stadiums where you can crank it.

So overall, I found the Twin just ok as a gigging amp, and poor as a home amp. After 8 yrs I sold it, moved to Marshall JCM800 and never looked back

Btw - You can easy add all the top end you want to your Mesa (or any other amp) by adding on an EQ pedal. Which old Mesa do you have ?

4. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    I have a 79 mk2a . It has built in 5way eq but it hums block a bumblebee

Waxhead likes this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    aha so you don't use the para EQ section ??
    Did it always hum?

Solution is either get it fixed or use this....they're cheap :)

https://www.jimdunlop.com/mxr-six-band-eq/

6. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    You say your Mesa has a 15? If it doesn’t have a metal dust cap get one fitted. That’ll add some sparkle.

7. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    No I don’t use it and yes it always hummed but I’m not sure if it’s the eq or just needing a cap job and I’ll check it out

8. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    Yeah my Mesa has a 15 and I’ll look into a dust cap

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Glad that you bonded with your twin. I have to confess that I never got a useable tone out of one.

10. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    or straight playing I still rather the Mesa but for delays and stuff it sounds amazing in the twin

loudnlousy likes this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah I agree the Twin cleans/reverb are amazing - but it's a one trick pony.
    Mark I to IV cleans were always great imo but not Fender flavour.

It was not until Mesa made the Lonestar Classic that it did the Fender clean thing. And then it was equal or better than Fender imo. Since then Mesa have cloned Lonestar cleans/reverb into the Express, Roadster, Mark V, Tremoverb and others.

12. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'm hip, gotta have a big Fender around, makes a great PA too.

J Bird likes this.
  13. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    Twins are for stadiums. They're loud and clean, a personal choice, and lots of players like them for that. I had to use one in a big band, it did nothing for me and the band members always complained about my being too loud.

At one concert a Vox AC30 was provided and IMO, that was a great sound. It had character whereas in comparison, the twin was sterile.
    ....Hang on, that's being unkind.... "Clinical". :)

ZackyDog likes this.
  14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    The demonstrator/player is using a Twin Reverb:

Hammerhands likes this.
  15. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Yup, this is what the doctor ordered....or at least what I'm going to order as my amp's EQ and pedals get close but can't hit the sweet spot I want. I used to tweak my stereo with EQ in high school and college and now the right balance of mids can only be tamed the same way.

I know small tweaks are all I will need but I'm spending too much time playing with dials to get the low depth I want with the highs I need without some wooly mids just keeping me away from the secret sauce. I'm probably going to get the 10-band MXR.

Waxhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.