6G3 Deluxe build

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Uncle Daddy, May 3, 2021.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I'd forgotten about these pics that I took during a recent amp build. It started as a TAD kit, with one-off turret boards made by Mike at Modulus. I also swapped the resistors for metal film for quietness, and it turned out very well. I'd recommend one of these if you're looking for a next project after a 5e3; the circuit is pretty straight forward and there's lots of room to work in the chassis.
    Like the 5e3, you do have to turn up the tone knob a lot a low volumes, and they're pretty sensitive to the guitar settings. The trem is tube-bias wiggle, and gets a throb on it that would make a bride blush.

Filter caps and dropping resistors
    P1130165.JPG

Bias board, with a man-size diode
    P1130166.JPG

Main board - the small orange drop on the right filters out highs for the normal channel
    P1130167.JPG

Main board in place
    P1130177.JPG

Volume and tone controls
    P1130172.JPG

2. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
  3. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    And the final result-

P1130198.JPG

cowmoo, Floo, hcsterg and 10 others like this.
  4. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I've added the "immortal amp" diodes to the rectifier socket, and need to go back in at some point as I used a 230v tap instead of the proper 240v, and I may change the 0.003uF cap on the v1 plate resistor for a 0.001uF as the Normal channel is a little dark for me. It's a great hiss filter though, no tube hiss gets through.

I'm running a low sensitivity speaker at the moment as I wanted early breakup, but this thing is still loud, as in 20 hairy chested Fender-watts loud. There is no hiding place with this amp!

Breakup begins around 5 on the dial on input 1, and it gets thicker and more Marshall-like as you go further round. Like a tweed amp, set it open and control the breakup with the guitar's volume knob. Just wear ear plugs!

5. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Looks great, wish I had the talent to do that type of work. Enjoy it.

6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Crank it up to 8, plug in a Gibson and play Cat Scratch Fever...:D. I built mine last summer and was surprised when I heard how it goes into early Marshall territory when you push it.

7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Cool project. A friend of mine just built another 5E3 and it is a fabulous and versatile amp.

8. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  9. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Looking great. I would like to build a few more myself, problem is that I don't actually use them because I've gone to the dark side with a Tech 21 PSA 2.0. But I do love building amps and effects.

And yes, that is in fact a man-diode!

10. TubeLife

TubeLife Synchromatic

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Very nice build!! This is going to be my next build as I thought about this or a Princeton....I’m leaning towards the 6G3.

I recently built an AB763 Super Reverb. It’s a great and humbling experience.....especially when it turns on and functions properly :D

MotorCentaur likes this.
  11. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Uncle Daddy likes this.
  12. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Neat job, @Uncle Daddy ! :cool::cool::cool:

What do you mean by :
    o_O ?

A+!

13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I can tell that it sounds great, just from the picture. :) That has to be a sweet little amp.

Uncle Daddy likes this.
  14. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Neat work Unca. Fastidious, even.

I'm guessing diodes in series with the rectifier valve to protect against shorts.

Uncle Daddy and hcsterg like this.
  15. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, that's what I was thinking about too : protection diodes... I saw this on Fender Tweed Custom Shop amps Deluxe, EC, among others.

These diodes are certainly supposed to act as fuses, intended to blow in the eventuality of the rectifier valve would go shorted, which barely arises IMHO : I only saw one time a 5Y3GT with a plate to filament short in 40 yars of amp repair and build...

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

16. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The 6g3 will give you a very different sound from the Super Reverb. It'll save your back too!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.