65 Princeton ri vs 68 ri any experience?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Nashvillian, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Hotshot

Hotshot Gretschie

Mar 23, 2016
    Toronto
    What he said above, though you can't beat the cool look of a tweed, right TSims:D

2. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Lol. Tweed is cool, but not as cool as what I have coming this week. ;)

Hotshot likes this.
  3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Both are great, neither is perfect. I've owned both and kept the '68. That said I replaced the 10" Celestion with a 12" Eminence Legend. Sounds great and I use it regularly. It made a huge difference to the amp and I've done the same with my 1975 silverface Princeton Reverb. It relly opens the sound up a lot. The 10" speaker always sounds choked to me, like the sound is there but can't get out. The 12"Legend lets it out.

Lizardkinged, I have a Victoria Low-Power Twin and it is breathtaking. Just saying.

4. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Can't argue with that. It's why I want to get another PRRI. I think the tube rectifier makes all the difference. I have actually thought of trying an alnico in the SS22, to see if I could a little more compression out of it.... the SS22 is kinda' ...stiff. Especially the clean channel. SS rectifier + ceramic speaker = stiff. I've also had the experience on an amp where a tube rec + alnico speaker = too compressed (but sometimes, that's what you're going for...)

Personally, I'd like to try a Tweed Pro.

5. JaygLongBeach

JaygLongBeach Country Gent

Feb 14, 2011
    Southern California
    I have the '68. Love it. Definitely not as chimey as the 65 but gets nice warm tones, especially at lower volumes. And takes pedals really really well. I think it complements a Vox very well .

TSims1 likes this.
  6. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I've played both and much prefer the '68 if we are talking strictly Fender. Both cut a lot of corners these days, but tonally I think the '68 sounds much better.

JaygLongBeach likes this.
  7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Totally agree but you hould try it with a 12" Legend. Wow!

TSims1 likes this.
  8. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Well, but "better" is subjective, isn't it? I don't think either amp could be called "better", as a fact. Just as opinion. The 68 is warmer with less headroom, the 65 is more mid-scooped with more headroom, and if you want to start swapping speakers, all bets are off on either version.

Joey L and TSims1 like this.
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Yes - and please understand, everything I post IS in fact my opinion and nothing more. That's why my statement reads "tonally I think.....". ;)

ruger9 likes this.
  10. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I've actually always wondered how the Sweet Spot compares.... no one has ever done an A/B on youtube or anything.....

TSims1 likes this.
  11. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Dont bother. P12Q+C12R combo in mine didn't sound any bit better. So far the Eminance Maverick and Reignmakers have sounded the absolute best. The Celestion Lynchback and G12EVH have sounded great w/ it too. ALL of the Jensen stuff got retired this year...

ruger9 likes this.
  12. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    You know, I think the Burn channel IS touch-sensitive. I actually think, when you start talking about semi-clean tones and dirtier, the Burn channel is great. I keep gain1 @ 4 and gain2 OFF, and I find it very touch sensitive, and cleans up pretty well with the guitar's volume knob. Then I hit an OD for more dirt. The Burn channel will never do sparkly clean, but... the amp has a channel for that...lol

For a gig, I think the Burn channel is all you need, unless you're a clean/country player, in which case use the clean channel and a pedal, I guess. But for 90% of what I play, I never need cleaner than the settings above, turning down the guitar. It's the David Grissom school of thought: (not that he "invented" it or anything, but here's a good demo of it:

FF to about 5:00

13. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Uhhh. May I borrow it lol.

14. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Yes, the burn channel is more touch sensitive. but Just not enough for that Clean... plunk... even for edging breakup, or backed off OD like mentioned w/ a master volume on the guitar earlier. I really only use my SS22 as a 70's 80's style marshall, or I use it exactly as Zinky designed it for that thick chuggy nu-metal tone, or DOOM/Sludge Rock/metal.

I just wanted the clean channel to be exactly what I'm talking about... It's not LOL. It's great on stage. It's great at practice. It's great at home even if you don't require that pick attack/sensitivity...

Dude, I just need to get my 6w aa764 Champ clone back on it's feet. that's a little monster of an Overdrive machine.

15. Gotone

Gotone Gretschie

Jan 2, 2012
    Ontario
    Ok. I'll state the obvious. Talk about a hijacked thread. The relevance to the OP's initial questions on Princetons relates to this how?????? Poor bloke is probably doesn't know which side to butter his bread!!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

16. Gotone

Gotone Gretschie

Jan 2, 2012
    Ontario

17. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ

:p

18. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    That's true. We better be very careful to not actually talk and have natural discussion on a guitar forum where......people.....come to...............talk......?

Lol. ;)

I think the OP is likely bright enough to sift through and find relevant bits to consider and ingest. And some of the rest? Well he just may find it interesting or(gasp!)useful.!!!

ruger9 likes this.
  19. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    It's pretty dramatic. The Sweet Spot sounds BIGGER than a Princeton for starters, simply because it IS bigger by a few inches. It's also a finger-jointed solid pine cabinet and a 12" speaker with enough room to really do it's thing and resonate[which isn't the same thing as shoving a 12" into that tiny Princeton plywood cabinet]. It also feels a bit more powerful and doesn't bust up in the low end when pushed hard. And ohhhhh mama.......the breakup is all you'd hope for.

The Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue's aren't BAD amps, they just aren't great amps[this is only MY opinion!]. You gotta spend a little more for that hand-wired-solid cab-attention to detail and circuit weakness elimination that an amp like the Sweet Spot offers.

ruger9 and Hotshot like this.
  20. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    All true Mr. Sims. On my '68 I just shoved a 12" into the tiny Princeton cabinet. On my silverface PR I used a custom built white pine cab made for a 12. While the change to the '68 was enormous the changes to the silverface were even larger. But that said, both amps benefitted enormously. As much as I really love 10" speakers, the combination of the single 10" in a small cabinet just didn't work well as compared to the 12".

While I agree as well about the reissues not being bad amps, and certainly not in the same league as Allen, Victoria and many other hand made amps, with these small mods they are very useable professional amplifiers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.