63 vivroverb ri vs 68 vibrolux reverb custom ri

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by JaredmacNeil90, Sep 9, 2021.

1. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    I
    ts not in bad shape . And with the cash I save I can get a delay,volume and chorus pedal

amp360 likes this.
  2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hi Jared, I have an old Twin, a couple of old Vibroluxes, and a '68 Custom Vibrolux and these are my thoughts for whatever they're worth. The '68 Custom is a very good amp that can be turned into an amazing amp with a simple mod - replace the speakers with a pair of Jensen P10R alnicos. Now, I'm not saying it isn't a good amp without the mod, but it becomes "world-class" with the mod.

I have a pretty extensive amp collection and many of them are old Fenders, Traynors etc - vintage stuff and many are boutique types but the 68 Custom Vibrolux with the Jensen P10R speakers is one of my main gigging amps. It holds its own with the vintage Fenders, Tone King, Matchless, and some other beauties I have. In fact, it is better than most of them.

To sweeten that, the alnico speakers are much lighter and the amp weighs about as much as a Deluxe Reverb. It's a 35-watt joy to gig with.

cowmoo likes this.
  3. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    The Twin is the perfect bedroom amp! Just like a wardrobe or a bed, you'll put it into a room and you'll never move it again. :D
    Jokes aside, if you have the chance just try all of them. There's nothing better than your ears to tell you what to buy.

wabash slim and Hammerhands like this.
  4. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    If you decide to get the Twin and want to run it at lower volume, you can pull the outer 2 output tubes out and disconnect one speaker to match up the lower output. Or, get a tech to install a master volume.

new6659 and stiv like this.
  5. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    For what I see from the pics, it's a '74 so it already has a master volume.

amp360 likes this.
  6. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Doh, I didn't see that :oops:

stiv likes this.
  7. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    I believe master volume in those Silverface Twins are a very useful feature. Some people dislike it, to me it's the only way you could use a Twin not only at home but also in live situations in these days. There's no way a sound guy in any club/bar would let you use your Twin at 4/5 volume where it should stay to have the best tone.

I've tried the remove 2 tubes mod on a 100w Hiwatt but I have to say it was still too loud :). As for disconnecting one speaker I agree that limiting the sound diffusion (especially when you play clean) it's a powerful tool, it also boxes a lot the sound (tried this as well with the Hiwatt using a single speaker cab).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  8. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    True @stiv, I held back on saying it would still be loud.

Master volumes are IMO, a MUST on any amp. In my old days repairing/modding amps, I retro-fitted lots of them.

stiv likes this.
  9. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    I did the same with my Bassman reissue. Then I switched to Hiwatts and never looked back. :)

NowEarThis likes this.
  10. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    I’m thinking I’m just going to grab the twin . Is it practical no not one bit, is it cheap yes and if I could run my Mesa a master 2 and volume 7 I can’t see why I can’t run the twin

11. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I have a 74 Twin and a 69 Vibrolux (original).
    Even with a master volume I can't get a good, low volume bedroom tone out of it.... It always sounds as clean as it does with the channel volume on about 2. Anything loud enough to break up a bit would have the neighbors calling the cops.
    The Vibrolux on the other hand, gets a good sound at reasonable home levels..
    Everyone idea of sound and volume are a bit different though so I'll add the caveat YMMV...

12. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Oops, said the Vibrolux was original but it's had the blackface mod.

13. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    For me most of the sound I want is clean an clear. Something you could find in like a worship music and stuff .and my Mesa just can’t do that

speedicut likes this.
  14. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    I have had a '63 Vibroverb RI since about 2008, or so. I've gone through a lot of amps since then, but the VVRI is still hanging around. It isn't my #1 any more, but I doubt I'll ever sell it.

Before the VVRI, I owned a DRRI. I found it wasn't loud enough for an outdoor gig, with the very hard hitting drummer I was playing with at the time. When I first got the Vibroverb home, I quickly realized that it was much easier to get a beautiful, clean, warm tone at bedroom levels with it, than I ever had a chance of getting with the Deluxe! That was when I came to the realization that most of Fender's big 6l6 amps, have a better volume taper, than their 6v6 amps.

These days I tend to play my tweed amps more than my Vibroverb. I play a Bassman Ri and a '58 Twin. Both for gigs and for home.

What I'm trying to say is that comparing a Twin Reverb and a Vibroverb Ri, or a '68 Custom Vibrolux has a lot of facets to it... Volume-wise, all of them can be played at lower volume. I have no experience with the '68 amp. But, both a TR and. VVRI have great low volume tones. Warm, clear, sweet. The VVRI and the '68 CVR have bias vary trem. The TR has the opti-coupler style (which I don't really care for). I think the VVRI will be warmer, generally, than the Twin.

At one point, I owned a '69 Vibrolux Reverb, a '65 Princeton Reissue and the Vibroverb Ri. I still own the Vibroverb.

As for portability? The reality is a Twin is a beast. The 40 watt, 2x10 package of the VVRi and CVR are nice. They are portable enough, fit in the trunk better, etc. The TR is big, heavy, and bulky. But, the Twin has a certain authority to it... Big iron, multiple 12" speakers.... Advantages to both.... The4 hand-wired amps are easier to repair. They might last longer? But, PCB amps have been a round a while, and Fender's Reissues are well made (despite all the teeth gnashing that goes on online). I've worked on both and prefer hand-wired. But it really isn't that much fo a deciding factor when I'm amp shopping.

Oh, and to throw a real wrench in the argument... Have you looked at the new Pro Reverb?

Groutsch likes this.
  15. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    I’ve played through lots of amps over the years and it really comes down to personal preference. Marshall is bright, loud and minimal bass, twin is loud but I don’t find anything alluring over its way it sounds, the hot rod fenders were ok, a bit wooly sounding I put down to the cabinets.

I love little amps because you can push them hard and they bark back. Vox AC 30’s have a really creamy sound and on stage they cut without being rude. I just bought a Vox AC15HW and have to say, I’m impressed. I’ve only got one gripe with it and that’s due to the modern features that make it sound too fuzzy when pushed, but I intend to carry out some mods to fix that issue.

FWIW, I’ve got a black face vibroverb with the 15” Altec Lansing speaker.

For a while, I used to hire it out and one particular guitarist, won’t name him, he was awesome player but loud as. It came back with a dead speaker. I didn’t want to recone it for fear it’d lose its sweet tone so I meticulously disassembled it and found the voice coil had come off the braid. I resoldered it, piled epoxy over it and since then has never left me. It’s the best sounding amp I’ve owned. The only mod it’s had is a fan to keep it cool while I was in the tropics.

I recently pulled it out of storage and overhauled it, changed filter caps with F&T, bypass caps with orange drops and some resistors that had drifted in value too far. It’s just a beautiful sounding amp and it’s going nowhere!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  16. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Just consider that the Twin is about 70 pounds, a real burger to move around. I replaced mine with the later Vibrolux, with the moyer mods, and I could not be happier.

17. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I won’t slag on Marshalls, but they aren’t for everybody. I like Twins, but they really are for playing larger venues. I’ve used mine for outdoor gigs, and it really comes into its own in that setting. BTW, mine has a single 15” with a closed back, piggyback, cabinet. But a Twin, likewise, is not for everybody.

The Vox sound is really a great compromise. I consider it a British retort to Fender. They sound great, at pretty much any volume.

But that 1x15 Vibroverb is a gem. Probably close to the headroom of a Twin and maybe a bit less in your face. It’s surprising to me that these are not more common.

18. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Talk about boat anchors, Fender Super Twin :eek:

19. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    they didn’t make that many of them. less than 1000, but can’t recall the exact number. was my holy grail amp for decades.

20. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    They were only made between 1963/64, discontinued when CBS took over and so there weren't many made, especially with the grey basket James B Lansing 15" speaker also known as Altec Lansing which later became JBL

IMG_0558.jpg

mister rain likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.